What's new

IS there really a difference (1 Viewer)

Todd_Petersen

Stunt Coordinator
I have a decent system for my income level, LSi Polks, SVS with Samsom Amp, B&K AVR 507 Receiver, 51 HD Sony. The only thing i have that is cheap is my DVD player, its a cheap Zenith progressive scan.

I am interested in spending around 500 or maybe a little more for something nicer. My question is what am i really going to see a difference in. My picture seems perfect now with this cheapy, I have no chroma problem and my sound rocks.

Can someone tell me the addvantages to something more expensive?

StephenHa

Second Unit
you will experience a bit better sound normally, the build quality will be much better picture quality could be better or the same (depends on viewing material) the more expensive units tend to do marginal material better, plus will usually track a bad disc better

dan fritzen

Second Unit
I have a 34 inch tube and I noticed a difference from a JVC interlaced to a HK DVD 22 progressive scan player, if you get faroudja or an upconverting one I am sure you will notice a difference.

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
If the picture is satisfactory to you, as is the audio, wait till it dies.....by then HD DVD might arrive. Many higher end units can be purchased with a money back trial so if you really want to see if the difference in a better player is worth the cost, that would be an easy test.

Mort

Oren Paul

Stunt Coordinator
I recently upgraded from a VSX-05 Pioneer Elite receiver and RCA early model DVD to a RX-V1400 Yamaha Receiver and Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi. I purchased both at the same time thus both were installed at the same time. I wish I had switched the units out one at a time as the difference in sound and picture was ASTOUNDING and I do not know if one of the new units is more responsible than the other.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Get a good progressive scan DVD player. Preferably one with DCDi Farujda or Silcon Image. Im a big Denon fan. At your budget, Im sure you could get a Denon DVD-2200. For the money, its a fantastic Univeral player. Make sure youre hooking up via Component video.

Andrew John

Auditioning
Hi i just bought myself a denon DVD-2200 using component out to my sony crt KVHR32M31 hd compatable tv similar to the us KV-34xbr910 set.I have to say the picture is just awesome the audio i sent to a denon AVR1604 to tannoy FX5.1 subsats and i use a polkaudio centre speaker.my sound to me is just phenominal.So i can highly recommend this unit.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Does your monitor have a DVI input? if so you might want a DVD player that can upconvert to 180i and send it out via a DVI. Bravo and Samsung both make DVI players that run less than $500

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
On the other hand, many (including me) will dismiss the notion that one will hear a difference in sound by upgrading (that ol' subjectivist/objectivist thing again). But you may very well notice an improvement in picture quality — better optics and better deinterlacing circuitry come into play here.

However, picture quality across the board from well-made DVD players from established manufacturers is remarkably consistent. Purchasing a Sony 999 gives you just as good a picture as something ridiculously silly such as the $7,000 Krell Standard. (Home theater, thankfully, is resisting some of the "high-end audio" cultishness; Audio Research won't ever make a killing in the brave new world of this hobby. But I digress.)

Todd_Petersen

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all the responces.

How much is this Denon 2200? Does everyone agree "most" this is the best for the 500 dollar price range?

I have the sony HDTV right before the DVI connection, so i use the component.

I also have a IEEE on the back of my receiver, is this better then optical for sound?

thanks guys

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Most will agree with that but keep in mind that there is a new line of Denon players coming out soon and I wouldn't be surprised to see Pioneer Elite come out with new models as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks