What's new

Is the b&w era of TV on DVD slowly coming to an end? (13 Viewers)

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Joe Lugoff said:
Am I the only one getting sick of these "I know something you don't know" messages?

If you have something to say, say it. If you CAN'T say it, please don't say anything. Thanks.
Then might I make the very simple suggestion of finding another forum? What Gary posted is no different than the weatherman saying 10 days out that it could storm next week. The prognosis from the evidence shows that it'll probably storm BUT there are variables that could change that.

If Gary came on here and posted that O & H were of a certainty NOT going to come out and then did, you'd be all over him saying he was a liar. If he continues to paint a rosy picture and say it WILL come out and doesn't, it's the same boat. I'd rather him be honest and say it like it is.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Joe Lugoff said:
That's right, instead of responding to the criticism, just attack the criticizer. You can do whatever you want, and if anyone dare complain, he's "unfriendly." Well, in my opinion, to which I'm entitled (although you don't seem to think so), I find your "I know something but I can't say what it is" messages, with their "hints" which leave us guessing (wrong, usually) very unfriendly and inconsiderate.
I see both sides on this. I had posted a thread on this a while back and stated kind of similar things about the predictions, but after a healthy (albeit long) discussion, I have come to see both sides. While some get frustrated with the vague hints, the poster must also protect the source or else he might damage a relationship with the person who gave them that info. Conclusion -It's really a no win. It's a circular arguement. Someone will be unhappy whatever the result. It's best to let it go

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Joe Lugoff said:
REMOVED BY OWNER
This is going a little far. I don't agree with everything other posters do or the way they sometimes present information but I firmly believe everyone means well and is trying to be helpful to others by providing the info as they are able. We have the right to disagree with each other but things are getting out of hand. People's motives are being analyzed and questioned and the whole tone of the forum is downright rude lately like Gary said. I have been sucked into it too sometimes, but I'm committing to limit my comments to the subject at hand from here on out.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Frank Soyke said:
I see both sides on this. I had posted a thread on this a while back and stated kind of similar things about the predictions, but after a healthy (albeit long) discussion, I have come to see both sides. While some get frustrated with the vague hints, the poster must also protect the source or else he might damage a relationship with the person who gave them that info. Conclusion -It's really a no win. It's a circular arguement. Someone will be unhappy whatever the result. It's best to let it go
Yes, generally in life it's best to just let things go. But then people can do whatever they want with no criticism, I guess.

I know I'll become the villain here because I merely expressed an opinion in a somewhat strong way. But I stand by what I said. If he's supposed to "protect his source," then he shouldn't be saying anything at all. This way, we know there IS a source, so it seems to me he's already broken his confidence.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Yes, as Robert has so perceptively stated, we're talking about B&W TV shows on DVD primarily for my sake (and mine alone!), so knock it off, you mugs! :laugh:

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Lugoff said:
REMOVED BY OWNER
Joe, let's try this from a different angle.

I'm a huge fan of Hank Williams, Sr's music. For those NOT in the know, there is a ton of stuff out there that's never been released of Hank's music. "The Complete Hank Williams" was nowhere near complete and represented approximately 1/3 of the known music to exist.

If you know the right folks, you can get copies of the non-released material. I know three people that have been a big help in collecting these recordings. Before the "Mother's Best" shows were made legally available a few years ago, I had the complete recordings on one MP3 disc. I have other stuff such as recordings he made on WSFA on acetates that have survived through the years that Universal Music Group nor the Hank Williams Estate have any interest in releasing.

How did I get these recordings? Is it because I'm a super cool guy? No, it's because of trust. My sources trust me to send me this stuff because I'm not going to out them. With how antsy the RIAA and record companies have gotten about bootlegging (even though I tend to find it ridiculous that they could sue over something they refuse to release) they don't want to be outed. Ya know what, I respect that. On the other hand, I find it hard sometimes to contain my excitement at having these super rare recordings. I don't mind telling you I own these but I'm not about to out the folks who sent them to me. Number one, I don't want to risk getting them in trouble and I also don't want everyone and their brother beating down their door trying to get these.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Just to put this stuff to bed on my end, know that if I really wanted to feel important in life and boost my ego, I wouldn't base it on how many threads I started on here instead I'd "show off" in a much more important venue than a TV on DVD forum. I start these threads to stimulate discussion and to provide information that if hopefully informative.
As far as the "hint'" business, some like it, others are frustrated by it. That much is clear. Some see it as helpful while others think its self serving showing off. Truth be told, it doesn't matter either way. As many have said, read the posts you want, ignore the ones you don't like. We all have the right to say what we want (criticial or supportive) and we should have no fear of being lambasted by others if we differ from the majority.
As for me, I will continue to discuss TV on DVD's and when I feel I wish to start a thread, I will do so without fear of having my motives queestioned. I will, to the best of my ability keep everything I post hereafter limited to DVD's unless I am called out personally on something I've written or how I have written it.

Case closed on my end!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Peter M Fitzgerald said:
Yes, as Robert has so perceptively stated, we're talking about B&W TV shows on DVD primarily for my sake (and mine alone!), so knock it off, you mugs! :laugh:
Nothing against B&W TV shows as I grew up in that TV era, but some are letting their emotions get away from them.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Good to see that Shout will be releasing Dobie Gillis in season sets after the complete collection, per the news today about Season One coming in the Fall.

Gary "I wonder if there are any other b/w series that Shout is considering" O.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
I put together a list of Nielsen Top 20 shows from 1955-1965 which have not been given proper DVD releases:

The Jack Benny ShowDecember BrideDragnet (original series)The MillionaireGeneral Electric Theater77 Sunset StripPrivate SecretaryThe LineupThe Gale Storm ShowThis is Your LifeThe LawmanThe Defenders

"This is Your Life" did issue "The Ultimate Collection Vol. 1) in 2005 but Vol. 2 has yet to appear. Some of shows have PD releases from Alpha, Nostalgia Merchant, etc. but those aren't what I consider to be proper releases.

I omitted variety shows such as Ed Sullivan, Perry Como, etc.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Richard Gallagher said:
I put together a list of Nielsen Top 20 shows from 1955-1965 which have not been given proper DVD releases:

The Jack Benny ShowDecember BrideDragnet (original series)The MillionaireGeneral Electric Theater77 Sunset StripPrivate SecretaryThe LineupThe Gale Storm ShowThis is Your LifeThe LawmanThe Defenders

"This is Your Life" did issue "The Ultimate Collection Vol. 1) in 2005 but Vol. 2 has yet to appear. Some of shows have PD releases from Alpha, Nostalgia Merchant, etc. but those aren't what I consider to be proper releases.

I omitted variety shows such as Ed Sullivan, Perry Como, etc.
Lot of good stuff here. The question then becomes which of these (if any) stand a legitimate shot of a release. I personally would single out The Lawman for the simple reason that most westerns seem to have gotten some play at one time or another on the DVD market

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Gary OS said:
Gary "I wonder if there are any other b/w series that Shout is considering" O.
If CBS changed their policy about licensing, you know there would be. Personally, I don't get their policy as it doesn't seem like the stalled sitcoms they own would compete that much with the westerns and dramas they are releasing anyway.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I think 77 Sunset Strip has a good chance to come out as a Warners Archive release. And WA have released some of thier products lately as real pressed DVDs. I'd buy most of the other shows you list, but I'm not sure if anyone would release them .

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
LouA said:
I think 77 Sunset Strip has a good chance to come out as a Warners Archive release. And WA have released some of thier products lately as real pressed DVDs. I'd buy most of the other shows you list, but I'm not sure if anyone would release them .
I would love this too but I seem to recall someone mentioning some music rights issues with 77.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Sugarfoot was reported to have music issues as well but it was obviously cleared since season 1 just came out. Cheyenne also had music issue and all the seasons of this show are coming out now. WA does work to clear music issues if possible it just takes time. So I believe that of the Warner detective shows at least 77 Sunset strip and Hawaiin Eye will eventually come out.
Frank Soyke said:
I would love this too but I seem to recall someone mentioning some music rights issues with 77.

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
I'm going to shock Gary I know but I've been watching the b/w episodes of Gunsmoke lately on Encore. Hour long versions and the 30 minute "Marshall Dillon" versions both. I think I'm liking the b/w episodes better than the color ones, though I do miss Festus! :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks