Is the b&w era of TV on DVD slowly coming to an end?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Gary OS, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Professor Echo

Professor Echo Screenwriter

Glen
    It depends on how someone defines "degrading," we are all way too sensitive now and it has definitely put a limit on just about everything we say and do, which becomes both a blessing and a curse. In terms of art and entertainment, I don't think people should be degraded to the point of being hurtful, but no group has a monopoly on stupidity and should be considered fair game for introspective humor. If we do away with all "degrading," what happens to characters like Lumpy on LEAVE IT TO BEAVER? Dare we insult inept, dumb, childish teenagers? Start drawing those lines and you won't even have SESAME STREET on the air anymore lest garbage collectors protest Oscar or cookie fans shout they do not want to be associated with a monster.

David_B_K and Ron1973 like this.
  2. Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff Cinematographer

Joe
    I just watched three episodes of "Amos 'n' Andy" on YouTube. I found absolutely nothing degrading to anyone. It's true Andy mispronounces words, but so did Beaver Cleaver. It's true Kingfish has a lack of ethics and Andy a lack of brains, but so did many white characters on many sitcoms. Ralph Kramden, Ed Norton, Ted Baxter, the afore-mentioned Beaver Cleaver, the characters Bill Daily played on both "I Dream of Jeannie" and "The Bob Newhart Show," most of the characters Tim Conway played in his career, several characters on "Green Acres," Jethro Bodine -- I could go on and on and on -- were all fundamentally morons, but no one said they were "degrading to the white race." If all of the characters on "Amos 'n' Andy" were perfect people, it wouldn't have been a comedy.

David_B_K likes this.
  3. LouA

LouA Screenwriter

Lou Antonicello
    Both seasons of early 1960's adventure series Ripcord will be released by TGI Direct. More good news on the B And W Television front !

4. LouA

LouA Screenwriter

Lou Antonicello
    It was mentioned recently that SUGARFOOT Season one is to be released by Warner Arcives. It appears that Critics Choice Video has an exclusive on this B&W show. Hopefully they will be selling pressed disc on this show.

5. EdG

EdG Stunt Coordinator

I got a great deal on this from importcds.com. It has already shipped and it should arrive early next week.
    Here is the link:

http://www.importcds.com/movies/2582373/sugarfoot-complete-first-season

6. Silverking

Silverking Stunt Coordinator

Chris Street
  7. Guy Foulard

Guy Foulard Second Unit

Jason
    It is odd--I can't remember if there have been any previous Warner Archive releases that weren't sold by WA themselves...

8. EdG

EdG Stunt Coordinator

Sugarfoot arrived today and they were pressed discs not DVD-R.

9. Guy Foulard

Guy Foulard Second Unit

Jason
    Sold! Just ordered this from importcds.com. It's also at Amazon now, but about $13.00 more.

10. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    Good to hear!

On another note, I'm continuing to enjoy Season One of Dr. Kildare. It's a fantastic drama, imho.

Gary "Ed, thanks for the report on Sugarfoot" O.

EdG likes this.
  11. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

I got mine from Importcds and they were pressed discs also. Watching this show for the 1st time and really enjoyed the 1st episode. This is a more lighthearted western ala Maverick.
    Hey Gary you will be happy to know the pilot episode had all "real" outdoor settings. No sets :) .
    I'm sure this will no hold true in all the episodes but the it was for the 1st.

12. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    My memory may be playing tricks on me, but I believe a good friend of mine told me a while back that Sugarfoot was a tad better than some of the other WB westerns in that respect, Randy. So it may hold up more than you think. Then again, I could easily be all wet. My memory isn't what it used to be.

Gary "I'd like to at least sample this series, so I may give this one a twirl myself" O.

13. LouA

LouA Screenwriter

Lou Antonicello
    Sugarfoot is a fun show which holds up well. Will Hutchins was an underated actor and fit the good natured part well. The mood of the show sort of reminds me of the "funny" episodes of Bonanza where Hoss and Little Joe get into comical situations . And yes, it has a lot in common with Maverick.

14. Richard V

Richard V Cinematographer

Richard
    Speaking of Will Hutchins, for those of you who remember, he had an uncreditied part in Clint Eastwood's Magnum Force, as a stake out cop during a shootout. His last line, " I've never shot a man before", I always wondered if that was an homage to his Sugarfoot character.

15. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    I'm not sure where I picked up the link to this video, but I thought I'd share it here with my HTF buddies. It's a compilation of several McDonald's commercials starring many of our favorites.

Gary "good to see old 'friends' in this one" O.

16. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    Thanks, Gary. I don't recall ever seeing these before; this is great stuff.

Incidentally, the Hillbillies truck is now at the Planet Hollywood at Downtown Disney in Orlando for anyone in the area interested in seeing it. Also, when watching that video one of the sidebar videos was Don Adams selling "the Electronic Detective". Talk about memories! I had one of those as a kid and couldn't get enough of it.

Gary OS likes this.
  17. Ron1973

Ron1973 Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

Ron Reagan (not that one!)
    That one, I believe, is a reproduction. The original is on display in the Ozarks here in Missouri.

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/14355

18. Silverking

Silverking Stunt Coordinator

Chris Street
    Will Hutchins was still doing conventions & the like up until last year when he had health problems. A real nice guy, he even has a little mime he does to the 'Sugarfoot' theme.

He spent many years after his series ended working as a circus ringmaster.

19. LouA

LouA Screenwriter

Lou Antonicello
    I believe he recently had his own radio show playing music from the 30's to the 50's, and interviewing vintage performers . I think the show was online. Hutchins fascination with older music and performers prompted his wife to remark that he lived in the past . Hutcins rerponse? : "The past lives in me". Incidentally, I really liked his other series, Hey Landlord ,and Blondie both from the late 60's. I'm glad Sugarfoot is on DVD.

20. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    Great article, Ron. Thank you! Now I'm curious as to what is really in Orlando. This could be a Batmobile like situation where the show had multiple versions of the vehicle. I didn't realize until today that George Barris also did the BH truck.