What's new

Is the b&w era of TV on DVD slowly coming to an end? (5 Viewers)

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Thanks Silverking, I'll probably have to pass on this then. Love that show think it's mighty underrated and holds up well for repeat viewing, Calhoun had a great presence up there with the greatest of the western stars.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Silverking said:
They have just re-released 'The Texan', whether or not they have adjusted the lighting I can't say, though I doubt it.

They have put it out as 'The Complete Series' - however it is the same as the earlier release & no new episodes are included.
Bit of a fraud really.
As much as I love this show , I wouldn't re -buy it unless it contained the missing episodes. A re-master would be nice , but not enough for me to re-buy it .

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
While we're on the subject of Timeless re-issues, I wish Timeless would re -issue WAGON TRAIN with standard packaging. I gave up on the series with the second season. After getting 3 copies of that set all with badly scuffed and scratched discs caused by the very tight cardboard slots used to house the discs , I decided to cut my losses . I know that the tins were limited editions , but the later versions were the just the slotted cardboard packaging without the tins. So If Timeless someday decides to release a complete series , I hope trays are used . I'd love to buy it - it's one of my favorite westerns .

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Whenever I bought one of those Wagon Train season sets, the first thing I did was get the discs out of those cardboard sleeves and into a standard case. Some of those discs were in the sleeves really tight.
The cardboard cases look nice, but that's about as far as it goes.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I won't be double dipping on the State Trooper Complete Series set.
I had never heard of the show, so did a blind buy on it and really liked it. If they did add some missing episodes, I would reconsider.
I also enjoyed Rod Cameron in Coronado 9, but felt State Trooper was the better of the two. I enjoyed the outdoor photography in State Trooper.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
ChrisALM said:
Whenever I bought one of those Wagon Train season sets, the first thing I did was get the discs out of those cardboard sleeves and into a standard case. Some of those discs were in the sleeves really tight.
The cardboard cases look nice, but that's about as far as it goes.
That's what I did with season 1 , but after 3 really bad season 2 sets , I gave up. I'm still hoping for a complete series reissue in plastic DVD cases.
Since their re -issuing things like State Trooper , and The Texan , there's always a small chance they'll reissue Wagon Train as well.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
ChrisALM said:
I won't be double dipping on the State Trooper Complete Series set.
I had never heard of the show, so did a blind buy on it and really liked it. If they did add some missing episodes, I would reconsider.
I also enjoyed Rod Cameron in Coronado 9, but felt State Trooper was the better of the two. I enjoyed the outdoor photography in State Trooper.
I'm not 100% sure about this , but I think Timeless was able to include every episode of State Trooper in their set. As someone else mentioned there's another Rod Cameron series from around this time , maybe Timeless will put that out .

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
LouA said:
That's what I did with season 1 , but after 3 really bad season 2 sets , I gave up. I'm still hoping for a complete series reissue in plastic DVD cases.
Since their re -issuing things like State Trooper , and The Texan , there's always a small chance they'll reissue Wagon Train as well.
Yes, now it looks like Timeless is going to do some complete series reissues. I was glad after the shout takeover they continued with the rest of Wagon Train (as well as the Virginian). It gave me hope for a little while that Timeless would continue releasing the older series, but it was not to be.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
ChrisALM said:
Yes, now it looks like Timeless is going to do some complete series reissues. I was glad after the shout takeover they continued with the rest of Wagon Train (as well as the Virginian). It gave me hope for a little while that Timeless would continue releasing the older series, but it was not to be.
I have my fingers crossed on Wagon Train, and I'm hoping that due to the amount of discs involved , it will be contained in multi disc plastic cases, not cardboard slots.
Timeless has slowed down in terms of B&W releases which is a shame considering the great ZIV shows they had access to.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
ChrisALM said:
Yes - Timeless has really slowed down. What a shame! And TGG Direct seems to have stopped releasing the ZIV stuff. With those two pretty much out of the picture, we really need another company to take up the slack. There are still many B/W shows out there that I would be happy to purchase. The Life of Riley with William Bendix is one I really would like to have.
It's hard to figure TGG Direct out . There was a flurry of ZIV releases and then nothing . They did put out My Mother The Car which is worth having , but no other ZIV shows. Someone mentioned that they might put out the ZIV /MGM sports program Home Run Derby, which I odd because that was already out.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
BobO'Link said:
I hope the specs on that My Little Margie set are wrong. It's currently listed as *one* disc running *90* minutes! That's not much for the ~$25 MSRP! It's almost a insult considering the first 2 sets are 2 discs each with run times of ~345 minutes each.
I just got this in the mail this week. I paid about $15.00 for it .It's one disc containing 10 episodes. Quality is not bad .VCI has so far released 34 episodes of My Little Margie in their 3 collections - only a little more than 100 episodes to go! I Married Joan Collection 3 is due out soon. Let's hope they continue with these types of releases.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
LouA said:
I just got this in the mail this week. I paid about $15.00 for it .It's one disc containing 10 episodes. Quality is not bad .VCI has so far released 34 episodes of My Little Margie in their 3 collections - only a little more than 100 episodes to go! I Married Joan Collection 3 is due out soon. Let's hope they continue with these types of releases.
Thanks for the info, Lou. I'll have to check these out.

Gary "VCI gets props for at least giving us a little vintage TV on DVD" O.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
VCI is a company I have been hoping might step up their output of vintage B/W TV shows. They have released a number of old B/W serials, so it would seem to fit well with what they are already doing.
I didn't realize they have been releasing I Married Joan, but will check it out. I do wish they would do season sets.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Just saw that Amazon has State Trooper: The Complete Series up for pre-order for $8.49. That is a steal for anyone that doesn't already have the earlier releases.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
^That's an insane price! MSRP of ~$40 and pre-order price that low? No matter - I ordered a copy even though before the program was mention here I'd never heard of the series. It's worth taking a chance on for that low a price! :)

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
ChrisALM said:
Just saw that Amazon has State Trooper: The Complete Series up for pre-order for $8.49. That is a steal for anyone that doesn't already have the earlier releases.
That has to be a mistake . Interested parties should act fast!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
LouA said:
That has to be a mistake . Interested parties should act fast!
That's my thinking too... BUT... camelcamelcamel shows the price before the drop to $8.49 was $11.98 and their tracker indicates it's been no higher than that since first offered.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
Professor Echo said:
M SQUAD and CHECKMATE deserve much better releases than what they got. It's great that they got released at all and both are watchable, though sometimes only by a weak margin. These are two excellent shows that hold up very well all these years later and shame some of the bigger studio detective series that were being done at the same time. I would love for Timeless to go back and clean both of these releases up, securing uncut prints and with as good of transfers as A&E did with another Revue series, MIKE HAMMER. Unfortunately, it won't happen.

100% agree. Too bad an Encore channel doesn't get involved and chip in for HD remastering like they did with The Virginian.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks