Is the b&w era of TV on DVD slowly coming to an end?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Gary OS, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Jack P

Jack P Producer

If VCI is releasing a new Four Star catalog title, then *maybe* they'll be able to go back and finish "Burke's Law"???

Jack K, phenri and Tooncy like this.
  2. Tooncy

Tooncy Second Unit

I'm gonna guess that VCI has a very small budget. Possibly why the releases are so few and far between.

3. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    In the interest of fairness, I should note that the WBA has released and will be releasing several b/w sets this year. We've got Dr. Kildare, Cheyenne, Maverick, Sugarfoot and Bronco. Hopefully we'll see some other releases that I'd be more inclined to purchase. Things like The Dakotas, Colt '45, 77 Sunset Strip or something from MGM like The Islanders or even National Velvet (if they have the rights to them).

It'd also be nice to see either or both of Timeless and TGG give us another run of b/w series that haven't aired in some time. But I'm not optimistic on that front, unfortunately. The only thing I'm holding out hope for is The Rebel from Timeless. A friend of mine has taken it upon himself to work some special magic that pretty much never fails to get a series headed our way. I can't divulge his secret, but trust me - his track record is uncanny.

Gary "keeping my fingers crossed for a strong second half of 2014 in the b/w releases scene" O.

Richard V, Jack K, ChrisALM and 4 others like this.
  4. Darby67

Darby67 Supporting Actor

Sean
    Gary:
    Thanks for that glimmer of hope regarding a complete series release of The Rebel!

Darby

Gary OS likes this.
  5. phenri

phenri Second Unit

Paul
    The Rebel is one of the three b/w shows on my want list, along with Burke's Law and Sgt. Bilko. I hope all are released soon.

I'm also enjoying what WB is putting out in b/w. I'm really looking forward to 77 Sunset Strip, whenever it is released.

Gary OS likes this.
  6. Vic Pardo

Vic Pardo Screenwriter

Brian Camp
    I remember taping an episode of "National Velvet" off of TNT some 20-odd years ago and being initially pleasantly surprised that I'd discovered another early color series from MGM based on one of their classics, just like "Northwest Passage." Yet, for some reason, the credits sequence was in b&w. Why was that? Had the series started out as a b&w series like so many others from that time and then switched to color and the only credits sequence they could find when TNT revived it was in b&w? No. The series was in b&w through-and-through. The episode I was watching had been colorized. Boo-hiss!

Jack K and Gary OS like this.
  7. LouA

LouA Screenwriter

Lou Antonicello
    Has BRONCO been announced?

8. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

Right Now Bronco is an Exclusive to ImportCDs and DVDPlanet just as Sugarfoot Season 1 was last summer. Its available in late July. It will most likely be available on the WA site 2-3 months after that.

Gary OS likes this.
  9. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    Thanks, Randy. I knew I had heard about it somewhere but just couldn't remember the details.

Gary "glad to know The Dakotas is coming for sure down the road" O.

10. smithbrad

smithbrad Screenwriter

Brad
    Unfortunately, it is possible things have changed a bit. Neither ImportCDs or DVDPlanet has it listed anymore. And while DeepDiscount does list it, it has no defined release date (unless 12/31/2025 is a release date). Maybe it was delayed, maybe WB is going to release in-house first, or maybe the vendors just jumped the gun and posted it too soon for WB.

11. LouA

LouA Screenwriter

Lou Antonicello
    I went to Import Cd looking to order it - I was wondering if they would have a Ty Hardin autograph like they did with Sugarfoot Season 2, but couldn't find it there at all. I'd guess WBA will carry this exclusively for a while . This is a show I'm really looking forward to -haven't seen much of it in years.

12. Professor Echo

Professor Echo Screenwriter

Glen
    In a recent correspondence with Timeless regarding a possible defective disc in their TOMBSTONE TERRITORY set (which ultimately turned out to my player and not the software), I inquired about THE REBEL and the very nice rep told me they are actively searching for acceptable quality episodes in order to release the complete series. And I will add that writing them again and getting such prompt, polite responses proves to me that they are not fully under Shout's heel yet.

13. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

I just noticed that it is no longer listed as well. Any of your answers are possibilities. My guess is they just posted it too soon or the masters weren't quite ready yet. It looks like they plan to continue to give these sites some exclusives with a short window before it appears on the WA site.

14. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

Bronco: Season 1 is back up for Pre-Order at ImportCDs and DVDPlanet so I'm guessing they originally put it up before WA wanted them to. It doesn't have a real release date currently but one can assume that the original date of July 29th is still correct. This will most likely appear on the WA site 2-3 months later after the exclusive window just as Sugarfoot did.

Jack K and Gary OS like this.
  15. smithbrad

smithbrad Screenwriter

Brad
    I wouldn't mind still seeing it released by WB exclusively first with the previously mentioned July release just the official release from everyone else. WB has a way of pushing things out with little fanfare and notice. Not saying it will, but it still could.

Jack K likes this.
  16. oldtvshowbuff

oldtvshowbuff Second Unit

James Beer
    State Trooper fans, take notice. Separate sets of S1 and S2-3 were released a few years back. Now, a repackaged collection of all three seasons will be released by Timeless with a bonus disc with Rod Cameron guest starring on four different western series, Tales of Wells Fargo, Laramie, Men From Shiloh, and Alias Smith and Jones. I won't need to double dip though, but I'll need to get Men From Shiloh to get a Rod Cameron episode.

Mike*HTF likes this.
  17. LouA

LouA Screenwriter

Lou Antonicello
    Interesting how a company like Timeless can make more money re-releasing shows like State Trooper, than they can by licensing other old B &W shows like the ZIV shows. Shows like Riverboat , Reastless Gun, Whispering Smith , Will Sonnett , get multiple releases, while other old shows like The Peoples Choice , Adventures In Paradise, Waterfront never get a release.

Gary OS likes this.
  18. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    I think these re-releases are a direct result of the Shout takeover. It's really sad, to say the least.

Gary "still hoping for The Rebel, but that hope dwindles just a little bit with each passing day" O.

19. HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow Screenwriter

Henry.
    Maybe it's in vain, but I still wish Timeless would revisit The Texan, and correct the lighting on all those brighter episodes and perhaps in the process find some missing episodes to include. That would make an awesome well worth it re-release, ala The Restless Gun.

20. Silverking

Silverking Stunt Coordinator

Chris Street
    They have just re-released 'The Texan', whether or not they have adjusted the lighting I can't say, though I doubt it.

They have put it out as 'The Complete Series' - however it is the same as the earlier release & no new episodes are included.
    Bit of a fraud really.

HenryDuBrow and Ron1973 like this.