What's new

Is Sherwood the UFO of HT equipment? (1 Viewer)

Ellen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ellen
Is John's review on the net somewhere? Did I miss a link to it? I'd be very much interested in reading this review.

Bob E

Auditioning
Now I'm confused. If I have a set of small speakers and a subwoofer, in what situations will I not get a signal to the subwoofer from the R-963?

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Bob,

Assumption -- all speakers as small.

1) Analog stereo input that isn't digitized.

2) 5.1 inputs only apply a high-pass filter for small speakers, a low-pass filter is not applied to derive subwoofer information. While this protects your speakers, it also rolls off content below 80Hz.

The other item that happens, happens with digital inputs and speakers defined as large. Here, the low-pass filter gets applied to the speakers and info below 80Hz is sent to the subwoofer while the speaker signal remains full range, so you end up with bass emphasis below 80Hz.

So, how does one get past this?

1) For digital inputs run all speakers as small.

2) For analog inputs, use an ICBM and run all speakers as large.

This is how I suggest running things, and how I do them myself.

Regards,

Rich Stone

Stunt Coordinator
John,
Great review. Thanks.
I'd also like to add that I appreciate Jeff's input and participation on this forum. It's so refreshing for a company to have representatives that are able to provide information and assistance in so many ways.
Now if we could just get another Sherwood Newcastle Dealer in the Reno area (we had one in Carson City and then Grass Valley but both of those no longer carry the line :angry: ). I'd love to check out the new line of recievers, although what I'm really waiting for is the new pre/pro....
Regards,
Rich

Bob E

Auditioning
Thanks, John and I did read your review and enjoyed it. When you say "Analog input that isn't digitized" does that imply that analog input can be digitized by the R-963 (as in phono input, etc.)? While that may not be the purist approach, my ears are bad enough that I'm no longer an autophile and don't listen to much analog anyway except broadcast TV. Also, I'd rather not have to buy an ICBM on top of whatever receiver I purchase. I'm not that into spending money in this area.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Bob,

I'd have to check it out, but I'm pretty sure you can digitize an analog input, at which point it becomes "just another digital source".

Regards,

John Garn

Agent
A comment re: Sherwood

I am in the process of trying to acquire either the 863 or 963......and I've owned other Sherwood units before.

One of "the best" things about Sherwood, aside from the fact that their products are outstanding sonic values is their customer support. Like Outlaw they are always available to answer our questions, to work out problems, and they actively participate in customer oriented informational activities such as this forum....and they answer our emails with intelligent, accurate detail! When I buy Sherwood, I have absolutely no worries about being technically stranded either for help or product repair. A lot of this is a credit to Jeff Hipps and guys like John Kotches who give us true, nuts and bolts info.

Try getting some direct answers from our friends to the west about their products......all they have here in the US of A are some customer service reps who, at best, can only read from a canned script!!!

I'm a guy who is really big on customer support and Sherwood gets 10 stars in this regard!! If you do have a problem you KNOW you can get it resolved!!!

Camp

Senior HTF Member
One of "the best" things about Sherwood, aside from the fact that their products are outstanding sonic values is their customer support. Like Outlaw they are always available to answer our questions, to work out problems, and they actively participate in customer oriented informational activities such as this forum....and they answer our emails with intelligent, accurate detail!
Another reason they should consider the "factory direct" online sales route. They naturally seem to bond with their customers. Take that to the next level and make the sale more direct too.

John Garn

Agent
For John Kotches--

Was high-end dealer in 80's but I must confess my recent knowledge re: surround sound receivers is limited.

My dinosauric way of hooking up active subwoofers is to main stream them through the front speaker connects using the crossover in the sub. This has always worked fine for me but I am concerned about Sherwoods 863/963 as I intend to purchase one of these.

If I hook up my subs my traditional way (thereby necessitating turning off the Sherwood LFE at least to the fronts), will Sherwoods "bass management" still control the balance of the speakers low end (so as not to damage them with low end excursions)?

Thanks

John Garn

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
John,

Unless the main speakers are designed to handle >112dB between the crossover point defined at the subwoofer (ie 50Hz) and the end of the LFE channel @ 120Hz I recommend against going the traditional hookup route myself.

The "most correct" solution is to toggle between small/large configurations, and utilizing an ICBM for bass management on the 5.1 inputs.

I have not tested with subwoofer off in any configuration, and utilize the SV CS Ultra, which is a passive sub, which makes my ability to test this configuration somewhat limited I'm sorry to say.

Regards,

Sven_DP

Agent
Bass Management Sherwood R-963 vs. Denon AVR-3802

I found the whole discussion on the 963 very interesting but as a newbie I still have a question. If I want to use small speakers like Gallo, KEF, Mission, ... which will only reach 100-120 Hz at an acceptable level, doesn't that rule out the 963? With a fixed crossover at 80Hz wouldn't I loose part of the music?

At least the Denon permits a crossover choice between 80-100-120. Any comments or suggestions?

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Sven,

I think you're correct, the 963 would be a bad choice for those speakers. Many other receivers have fixed crossovers at 80Hz also, so shop carefully.

Sven_DP

Agent
Thanks Philip,
I guess you're all sleeping or going to sleep now over there...so here I'm back with my questions. If you're right, why doesn't anyone care about this (look at the thousands of micro + sub packages sold out there)? Maybe it's so difficult to hear for 'normal' people? It's a shame that the 963 is out, because I think it would've been a better choice than the Denon for the money (1.000 € over here) Unbelievable that they fixed the crossover point ! I found an interesting article about bass management and THX, Dolby hype at http://www.audioholics.com/BassMGT.htm
Anyway, if I would take larger lifestyle speakers for front and center like B&W VM1 and small things like KEF eggs or Gallo Micro's for the 4 surround speakers, would that solve the upper bass gap? Any other opinions please?

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
80Hz is a good crossover point for most speakers. Not very small satellites though. It was part of the original THX spec and they did their homework. It works fine in most home theaters. Adjustable crossovers are nice, but much more expensive. My pre/pro does bass management on the rear speakers only for delay processing. An Outlaw ICBM handles all other bass management duties.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks