What's new

Is New York a Pit? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Jason,

I used to reply to my many smug, superior New Yorker friends by telling them any rank amatuer can have a good time in NYC just by stumbling around, it takes a real expert to have a "paint the town red" night in Boston. Hmmm, let's see, start with a scorpion bowl for 4 at the Hong Kong, the Plough and Stars for a few pints then really head downhill for a late night at the Pony Room in Dorchester (ughh) and after hours at JJ Foley's, drinking with "da Mayah". Wake up in the gutter and do it again tomorrow!

ThomasC,

The number one way to spot a tourist is they are always looking around (especially up at the tall buildings) instead of straight ahead and down.

In Boston we spot them because they are the only ones that wait for a "walk" signal or use a corner to cross the streets. Most Bostonians develop the "football straightarm" aproach to crossing - keep walking with your arm out straight and stiff to the side of traffic. Have a look on your face like you can stop a taxi with one shove to the hood and you'll make it fine!

LewB,

My girlfriend's dad lived on Tiebolt (sp?) Ave. right near Union (I think) Hospital. Used to drink 40 cent drafts at the Tiebolt Tavern, after they buzzed me in from the street.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
The number one way to spot a tourist is they are always looking around (especially up at the tall buildings) instead of straight ahead and down.
Oh, we were definitely lookin' straight ahead and down, there wasn't anything good to look at above us. We just came out of the subway, and our hotel was right across the street. It was probably around 1AM by then, and we were the only ones around, except for that homeless guy.

JoshF

Supporting Actor
Oh, we were definitely lookin' straight ahead and down, there wasn't anything good to look at above us. We just came out of the subway, and our hotel was right across the street. It was probably around 1AM by then, and we were the only ones around, except for that homeless guy.
He probably smelled the fear.

Really, though, it's pretty eas to spot the out-of-towners. It's a radar you develop after some time. Hard to explain, but it's in the way you walk like you don't have anywhere to go, the way you look around like every little thing is fascinating, the way you talk, the way you cross the street.... could have been any one of those.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Hahaha, damn this is funny! This quote, to me, insinuates that NYC is safer and cleaner than San Francisco... all I can say is that you must never have been to both cities.
I love San Francisco. It's one of my favorite cities in the world.

Manhattan, however, is both safer and cleaner IMO. By a good deal, in fact. Parts of Brooklyn and the Bronx aren't quite so nice, of course, but I don't know if I've seen anything quite as ugly as that stretch of outer-SF that seems like little else but traintracks and mounds of rotting lumber and garbage.

I've been to New York far more frequently than SF (proximity and all, you know), but I did get to visit both cities in back-to-back weekends last fall. I'd recommend either, for living or visiting, but I find NYC to be very slightly more appealing, and certainly cleaner and safer.

Steven K

Supporting Actor
I agree with Al (oops, I mean Rich :) ) with the exception of Manhattan. Yes, Manhattan is clean and very nice, but I dont think it compares to San Francisco.

BTW, I don't think Seattle compares either, for what its worth.

Boston is a great city, but New York City it is not. Boston is very small (only 2 and a half miles across) and doesn't have a public trans system that runs 247 (although the T is very good in its own right).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks