What's new

Is Kenwood still top of the line (1 Viewer)

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I don't think Kenwood was ever considered "top of the line." Yes, they make good stuff that is well-built, but I would consider them "middle-teir" rather than top shelf equipment. True "top of the line" brands are things like McIntosh, Krell Labs and other gear that you will never even see on the shelves of a Big Box store like Best Buy. Among the more mainstream brands I'd rank several a bit above Kenwood (Denon and Onkyo come to mind immediately, I'm sure I'll tink of other later.) And yes, I've owned Kenwood equipment. (Which I thought did a good job. I upgraded when I needed features it didn't have.) I've also owned a Denon receiver and currently have an Onkyo.

Regards,

Joe

Randy Ghost

Agent
Kenwood no longer makes home audio or video equipment and they haven't for a few years now. The only piece Kenwood made that would be considered high end would be the KC-Z1 Pre/Pro.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yeah, I don't think Kenwood was ever top of the line, though about 30 years ago, it was considered slightly better than the masses. I have one Kenwood receiver from about 10 years ago, and it is distinctly cheap.

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Top of the line AV separates you're looking at the likes of Lexicon, Classe, Krell, McIntosh, Anthem.

Mid-fi you would be considering Rotel, Cambridge Audio, NAD, Integra, Arcam, and newer online retailers like Emotiva and Outlaw Audio.

After this come the vast majority of AV receivers for the mass-market.. Denon, Onkyo, Marantz, Pioneer, Yamaha, Harmon Kardon, Sony and the likes. Though several of these manufacturers do build very high-end separates and receivers (Denon immediately comes to mind).

Unfortunately Kenwood isn't a contender in home theater. The name has more connection with car audio.

Cheers,
Alon

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks