Cast: Tom Cruise, Miles Teller, Glenn Powell

Release: 2024-01-12

Plot: Sequel to "Top Gun: Maverick."

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Top Gun 3 is in development at Paramount. In addition to Tom Cruise, Miles Teller and Glenn Powell are expected back from Maverick. Ehren Kruger, who co-wrote that film, is currently writing a draft. Joe Kosinski will either direct or produce. If I ran the studio, I would make it a priority to sign him to direct again considering how well he steered Maverick.

As a general housekeeping note, the forum software wanted a release date, so I plugged in today's date. Obviously, it isn't out today. I'll update the first post whenever a release date is announced.

Top Gun: Maverick succeeded about as much as any movie can succeed. Audiences loved it, critics loved it, it made an unbelievable of money and was nominated for Best Picture. So in that sense, it makes perfect sense why Paramount wants to do this. From a financial perspective, of course they would jump at the chance to make another one. However, considering that it took 36 years between Top Gun and Maverick, this feels really fast. I really hope that it happens because they have another great story to tell and not solely because they're chasing money.

Obviously, the novelty factor of a Top Gun sequel won't be there this time around. I do think that contributed to some degree to Maverick's outsized success. But they can still make a great movie, and if they do that I would imagine this will still be very successful.

Fingers crossed that this is good.

Edit: I saw @Joe Wong started a thread for this right after I finished creating this one. Great minds think alike. ;) Moderators, feel free to merge the two.

Last edited:

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I liked Maverick quite a bit more than the first film. Hopefully this upcoming film lives up to everyone’s expectations.

justarandomstan

Second Unit
Real Name
Stan
Maverick was simply brilliant! Saw it in theaters and... oh, what a thrill!

The chemistry between Cruise and Jenn Connely was off the charts, so I truly hope that she'd be back too.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
I really hope that it happens because they have another great story to tell and not solely because they're chasing money.

Edit: I saw @Joe Wong started a thread for this right after I finished creating this one. Great minds think alike. ;) Moderators, feel free to merge the two.

Agreed… I enjoyed the sequel much more than the original and would welcome another installment. Though the story structure was similar to the original (which could have made it a Home Alone 2 style sequel), there is the appeal of seeing what’s happened with Maverick’s life 30+ years later. And of course, the scene with Val Kilmer was the icing on the cake.

Hopefully Part 3 will go in a different direction rather than another “teach new recruits and then go into a live battle” scenario. I expect to see Maverick and aerial dogfights, but feel free to be creative!

@Jake Lipson I checked for an existing thread but didn’t see one hence I created one. Like you said, great minds think alike! 😉

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I don't think its any coincidence that Cruise signs a Deal with Warner; then the film is announced

YANG

Screenwriter
when talk about franchise and sequels... i won't be surprised that Edge of Tomorrow is going to be the next collaboration with Warner.
at PARAMOUNT side, "M.I.8" and "T.G.3" may turn out to be a parting gift to PARAMOUNT, before Tom jumps to another ship that's currently colored in blue... unless, there's one another closure to end another franchise, "J.R.3".

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Given the success of the series and acceptance of Alan Ritchson as Reacher, I think any further films with Cruise (if they're even permitted by the current rights licensing), would be bombs. No fans of the character or the series wants to see any further Cruise Jack Reacher films.

justarandomstan

Second Unit
Real Name
Stan
when talk about franchise and sequels... i won't be surprised that Edge of Tomorrow is going to be the next collaboration with Warner.
at PARAMOUNT side, "M.I.8" and "T.G.3" may turn out to be a parting gift to PARAMOUNT, before Tom jumps to another ship that's currently colored in blue... unless, there's one another closure to end another franchise, "J.R.3".

The Warner deal is non-exclusive.

There's no way Paramount would let Tom Cruise go just like that. He's one of their biggest stars.

The MI films will surely keep coming for a little while longer.

The man is a true movie star and I don't see the demand for him dying out anytime soon.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Glenn Powell said:
“People looked at me like I knew what was going on. There is going to be some fun stuff being announced soon…but it was confidential to me. I talk to [Joseph] Kosinski, Cruise and Jerry [Bruckheimer] all the time. There is stuff happening and it sounds very exciting. I don’t know when I’ll be going back…I’m sure there is a jet waiting for me sometime in the future.”

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Not really sure where they could go with the script unless there is a full-on war scenario.

They really need to take off the kid gloves. I liked the last film, but it didn't make any sense at all that no good guys were killed trying to execute an insanely dangerous mission. Deflated any possible tension.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks