What's new

Is it OK to drive speakers with a larger wattage than rated? (1 Viewer)

Arnie_A

Agent
I will be getting an amp soon, maybe a Rotel 1075 or Marantz MM9000 to drive B&W dm603 fronts. The Rotel is rated at 120W and the Marantz is rated at 150W, but the speakers are only rated at 110W, I think. Will this be OK??

Thanks.

PaulT

Supporting Actor
Yes it will be fine, watch the Max volumes levels, however.

It is actually easier to damage speakers with lower powered amplifiers than higher due to the amp 'clipping' when you try and get more power out of it than it has.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
I'd say yeah as long as you control the volume on the pre/pro and not crank it to the max and leave them running.

What happens is the pre/pro adjusts the power that goes into the speakers, so like a standard listening volumes, you may be just giving your speakers 1 to 16 watts.

At "wide open throttle" you could give your speakers more power than they can handle and thus fry a voice coil or blow a cone.

Arnie_A

Agent
Makes sense... So stay away from a full-blast movie-going experience watching pearl harbor. ;-)

Thanks to you both.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks