What's new

iPhone - so...what's the deal? (1 Viewer)

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
Outside of junk mail mail filtering, the two things I'd like to see most changed with Mail is the ability to delete multiple messages at once and, more importantly, a prompt to bypass messages above a certain size.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill

It depends on the store, I guess. The Apple Store at Willow Bend/Plano was out of stock tonight, but expecting shipments tomorrow.

- Steve

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
There's an excellent review of the iPhone up on Apple Insider. Although I don't agree with the author on everything (he actually likes the Mail app), what sets this one apart is his discussion of the design philosophy behind the phone and how it drove some of the more controversial design decisions. Recommended reading for fans and haters alike.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Craig,

Thanks for the article. One of the better reviews I have read
on the iPhone.

Steve,

That is a popular case. In fact, Steve Simon bought that very case.

The only problem you may have (and the reason why I did not
buy it) is the clip. From my experience with that type of clip,
they are very tight and secure initially. After a while they wear,
loosen up, and then the phone starts falling off the belt at a moment's
notice. My Fortte had that same clip and I ended up having to have
it replaced. Of course, you may have better luck than I did.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
Oh man, has anyone seen the video online of the woman from Dallas who bought the #1 spot in a line for $800 from some kid to purchase $100,000. worth of iPhones to sell on ebay, just to be told she could only buy one? Oh man, its great. jerks like that deserve that kind of disappointment. here is the link

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member

Thanks for the link! I think this is the best line from the article:

"The iPhone is simply the most incredible piece of consumer hardware I've ever touched. In working with it, it repeatedly occurred to me that I simply could not have imagined this could exist today."

I think that's my main reaction to it as well. It's not just that it's a sophisticated cell phone, or a great video iPod, or a portable web browser, or a vitual map: It's that all of these applications (and more) are seamlessly linked together by the same simplistic and innovative interface; and in a form factor that fits in my hand. (I kept thinking to myself: "I've got Wikipedia in my hand!!! And if I want to, I can listen to my favorite music or view a TV episode that I missed!! And, oh yeah: I can make a phone call too! What would Isaac Asimov have thought about this thing??") The fact that this is "Iteration 1.0" of this device absolutely blows my mind! What on earth will this thing evolve into in about two years??

BTW, all the AT&T stores near me are sold out of the 8GB iPhone and they can't tell me when they'll get anymore in. But they do have 4GB iPhones on display to play with. And after just 10 minutes of playing with one of the display models I was sold on the concept. (But the fact that they actually call this thing a phone is laughable to me. Perhaps they should have called it the iInfo.) I may wait until my Verizon plan is up at the end of August, but I'm most definitely "going to get me one of these!!"

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Loved that video! It would have been even more priceless
if she shelled out a few grand if I heard that others were for that
coveted first-in-line spot.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill

Well, the Belkin case (the one that doubles as a stand) flat does not work in the clip department. It works so badly, in fact, that I discovered an Easter Egg...

Seriously...

First, a little background. I got Guitar Hero 2 for the Xbox 360. One of the songs exclusive to the Xbox version is "Dead!" as performed by My Chemical Romance. I liked that song so much that I got a few MCR CD's, including "Welcome to the Black Parade" which includes the song "Dead!"

All that being said, this album is synced as part of the iPod on the iPhone.

I dropped it yesterday. The lame-assed clip on the Belkin Acrylic case just slid off my pocket and the iPhone plopped on the floor. It was off, nothing was playing, I was scared witless, so I picked the phone up and looked to see if I had broken the glass.

In the top center of the screen, where it would normally display either the lock for when the phone had been off, or the time when the phone was on was a single word:

Dead!

I kid you not.

Fortunately, the phone was very much alive, but from that point forward, it went into my pocket instead of clipped on the side.

Leave it to Apple to have a sense of humor when the phone has a motion sensor in it. That also means all drops are logged.

- Steve

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
I have to admit. it is a clever thing for Apple to do. I think my heart would have stopped if that happened to me. Id be the one who was dead. I wonder what other clever things are hidden. Have you all seen that the iPhone's Root password was cracked?

Chris

Senior HTF Member
And, as I expected, I spent almost all day fielding questions from people trying to connect iPhone to Exchange/Lotus Notes.

Yes, I know.. they should have known better, but now I know for sure of at least one Mortgage group that thought 18 iPhones would replace their RIMs.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Wow, as a fellow IT worker - that sucks. If someone tried that here, our answer would be "tough". Of course, we're a government contractor and nobody can spend a penny on IT without going through standards boards, etc. It's a PITA, but at least we can reasonably control our IT infrastructure.

And, all our execs have BlackBerrys, to which they're completedly addicted (one of the top priority items in our disaster recovery plan is to get the BlackBerry accounts moved and back online). I doubt the iPhone even crossed any of their minds. :)

Oren

Stunt Coordinator
posting this from the iPhone.

I like it, a lot. It's not perfect, though. I wish email could be searched and sorted; I hope there will be a vnc client. That's about it though.

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
iPhone users will get a kick out of this one. Chicago Tribune technology columnist and self-proclaimed "Gadget Advisor" Eric Gwinn was brought onto WTTW-TV's Chicago Tonight program yesterday evening to show off the iPhone to host Phil Ponce. So much for bringing in the experts...

Eric Gwinn on the iPhone

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Guys, I work in a Windows environment, but have the Mac at home, where I have been syncing primarily.

Today, I loaded iTunes on the work laptop and was able to sync Outlook calendars without affecting the sync ability from the Mac. It allowed Outlook and iCal calendars to be merged, both on the iPhone, and on the Outlook calendar.

I am betting email would sync as well, but I am not interested in getting work email on the iPhone, just my schedule.

Very cool.

- Steve

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
so, has any "i've opened my iphone" stuff popped up anywere?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks