What's new

IMHO the ugliest car in the World... (1 Viewer)

Jason Merrick

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Merrick
I'm with you Chris, I think the new BMW look is awesome. The 745Li is probably my favorite new car at the moment. I don't think the Element is anywhere near the Aztek on the ugly scale... I'd call it more functional than ugly.

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
Ok, Ok, Ok. Here goes.

I own an Aztek.
I owned probably the first Aztek sold in Kansas City.
I saw the stares, the pointing, the laughing. I heard the comments.

Yes, it looks like a hiking boot on wheels.
Yes, it looks like they got tired of drawing the vehicle, and just cut it off at the back.
Yes, it looks like an urban assault vehicle.

and

Yes, it looks like a warthog.

(Thus, the reason for my personalized license plates "PUMBAA")

But, until you've driven one, you can't appreciate the Aztek. The interior styling sold me on the vehicle, plus the fact that it has every available option on it.

So, chuckle, stare, point and laugh away. I enjoy my car.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Couldn't agree more about both the Aztek and Element:thumbsdown: I don't like those new caddies either with those ugly lights on the front.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
I agree, the Aztek is damn ugly. When they dropped the plastic crap it looked better. The Avalanche actually looks decent without the plastic on it. A couple of years ago I saw Bob Lutz on a show that was covering the SEMA convention, and he was pointing to the aftermarket Aztek stuff and said flat out that it shows what was wrong with the Aztek. I thought it was funny to hear an exec actually admit there was something wrong with one of their cars without any weasel words.

Pontiac almost has it. If they took the 1996-2003 Grand Prix, deleted the terrible body clading, got rid of the ribbed leather seats, offered attractive wheels, and threw in a V8, then it would be one amazing car given the price.
They did take the '03 and drop the body cladding and fix the seats and got better wheels. They even upped the horsepower on the V6. What more do you want? The front end may be a bit garish, as most Pontiacs are, but the interior more than makes up for it. It has one of the finest interiors I've seen in a GM aside from Cadillacs.

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
The thing about the element is that it's the popular style for small cars in Japan for whatever reason. Both of those new Toyota Scions are the same way.

I'm curious about the people who like the 7 series here. How can you stand the bizarre trunk line? And the headlights? But mostly the trunk. Ugh.

Chris Baucom

Stunt Coordinator

James, I can certainly understand your point about the back end. The trunk is a bit odd, but I don't find it unattractive. I think the front end is better than the previous design, but like I said, I am not a BMW purist, so I am not picky about maintaining design elements. It just seems like a neat car to me.

Speaking of the trunk line, have you noticed that the new Accord has a similar trunk line? Maybe it is just me, but everytime I see a new Accord, it reminds me of the 7.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
It's obvious that you guys have never seen a PACER made by the now defunct American Motors Corporation
I've had a ride in a Pacer once upon a time. While I don't consider it ugly, (It had curves at least) I don't think it won any awards for design. Plus I owned a Gremlin, and I did not think of it as ugly, a bit unattractive, but not butt ugly like the Aztek.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I actually think that the PT is an attractive design in a retro way
The front is pretty neat, but when you're behind a black one, it's hard to tell if you're following a hearse or a cruiser.

Which, if you've noticed, Chrysler has updated since the very first models. The newer ones don't look as bad, but the old ones :eek:

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Mark, it is from Dodge. I'm guessing it's coming next year, since I just saw it on a local TV show that showcases upcoming cars and/or prototypes.

I haven't been able to find any pictures of it online, but I can tell you it looks nothing like the late-90s models (of which I'm very fond, too). This one is just... Picture a sedan with the height of an SUV, combined with a retro-futuristic look, and you'll have a good idea of what it looks like.

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
Speaking of the trunk line, have you noticed that the new Accord has a similar trunk line? Maybe it is just me, but everytime I see a new Accord, it reminds me of the 7.
I dunno. The only new Accord I can ever conjure up in my mind is the coupe, because it's like the archetype of car. If you asked someone to draw a generic two door car, it would possibly end up looking very similar to the new Accord coupe.

I'm not particularly a BMW purist, I really happen to think that the headlight design is terrible and the trunk is hideous. I would put the rest of the car design-wise somewhere between 'ok' and 'good.'

So does the Accord sedan have a trunk that is oddly high that slopes into the fenders, then?

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
While I completely agree that the Aztek is ugly, I have to put the runner up to me as the Enzo..damn that’s an ugly car! I'm sure there are a bunch that disagree with me but damn! What happened with that one?

John Watson

Screenwriter
I like the Cruiser, except it doesn't have an ass.

It looks like a little old van from the rear.

It shouldv'e had a rumble seat!

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
I am not sure what this new trend is with all newer cars being very bulky looking. It is almost like a lot of new cars look like urban assault vehicles .. they just look "heavy" and "brutish" .. is this what people are looking for?

The NEW Maxima, the NEW BMW 7 Series, the CTS, the NEW Avenger above, the Infinity FX 45, the G35 Coupe, the Hummer H2, the Aztek ... all of these have a very "all metal" and small windows kinda look ...

Has driving on US Highways become like going for war? Are we in assault mode as a nation? :D

Mike Lenthol

Second Unit
You guy's are so old :laugh:

Change always takes time. Remember the ridicule of the Ford Focus when it came out? The design is imitated by others now. In Aztek's case it might take a while to mature though, but it's still not even close to being aesthetically displeasing as some of the 'hobbyist modified' vehicles on the road.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks