What's new
World Wide Stereo

Ideal surround placement in my situation?? (1 Viewer)

SteveW

Agent
I have read many threads on the subject of surround placement and can't really get an exact solution. The area that I am working with is 7.5 x 12. I am considering the Axiom M2 bookshelf for surrounds. My new couch will be right against the wall and will take up the whole wall. There is a full open area to the left of the couch and a full cobblestone fireplace to the right. Side mounting is obviously out. I really don't know what would be my ideal solution for surround placement. I have read that behind the couch works. I have also read that on stands behind the couch facing in towards each other. But most stands would only place them about a foot above listening level. I would have room to move the couch out a little to allow stands but that would put them maybe 6" at the most behind. I have also considered the Axiom surrounds, but again they would only be 6" behind, but I would have the option to raise the height. In my situation what would be the most ideal solution to not make the surrounds overwhelming.

Thanks

728x90

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
There are height adjustable speaker stands on the market that should be able to get the rears 18-24" above your head when seated. Here is a link to one I know of. link.

David Judah

Screenwriter
I've seen several different solutions for that type of situation. In one installation, the couch was pulled out enough from the wall to accomodate laying the surrounds on the floor behind the couch firing up. In another, the user mounted Def. Tech. bipolar surrounds on the back wall.

You could also try an on-wall speaker. Infinity makes one called the OWS-1 that is only about 4 inches deep(I'm sure there are other companies that make something similiar). I use the Infinity's as my back surrounds in a 7.1 layout. Although convention says such close mounting to the listening position is not ideal, I actually get nice rear coverage from them--better than I expected. You can click on my web page icon to see what I mean.

You could also try in-walls, but of course, the disadvantage is that once you cut the holes, you are stuck with that placement, so you'd have to make sure you got it right, which wouldn't be easy.

Good luck,

DJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Michael Slayer
Recent bookmarks