What's new

I think i have figured out my project. Help NEEDed! (1 Viewer)

Zachery-C

Grip
Ok, i figured out i wanted a sub for $300 max.
I chose:
Adire Audio Tempest 15in Sub/Dayton DVC 15in Sub ~$140
250W Plate Amp - $128 From parts express..
Total $268

Is this enough amp? I am more interested in music...i want to hold some parties, so i want some sub that will hit pretty hard..something that you can feel. I have a Klipsch K-RSW 8in sub but that does have any punch. Also, what does dual/single voice coil mean? Do I just hook the amp right up to the connectors to the sub? Thanks - Zack

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
That amp/woofer combo has been used about a bazillion times with great success. In a small (relatively speaking) sealed box could use more power if you really wanted to. But its certainly not necessary and in large boxes, sealed or ported, 250W is really the most you want to feed this woofer.

The Tempest is a completely different animal from the Klipsch. You should get much, much more output especially in the low end performance.

For a hard-hitting party sub I would probably use Adire's SBB4 ported box plans for the Tempest. In addition to being physically the smallest of the 3 ported alignments, I think it will give you the most output where you'll want it to get the "punch" you're looking for. From the ported Tempest white paper:

"The SBB4 design for Tempest (Q=0.707) is a traditional Super Boom Box 4th order. This alignment provides the flattest bandwidth extension, without any peaks
in the response. This alignment is arguably the most popular of all vented alignments, because it promises extended bass response (down to the 20 Hz range)
with good transient response (less than 23 ms of group delay at 20 Hz). While not having the extreme-low group delay “tight sound” of the other vented designs,
it does have considerable midbass punch and output, making it well suited for home theater applications."

Most normal woofers, or midranges or tweeters for that matter, have a single voice coil. Dual coils allows you some flexibility in connecting to an amplifier while presenting an appropriate impedence. With this amp, you'll want to connect the coils in parallel and then to the amp. This means that you connect the positive lead of the amp to the positive post on both coils. Then connect the negative lead of the amp to the negative post on both coils. So all of the positives will be connected together and all of the negatives will be connected together. This will present a 4 ohm impedence to the amplifier which is ideal for getting the most power out of this amp without sending it into thermal shutdown. Do an internet search and I'm sure you can find many diagrams and examples of parallel connections for woofer coils.

Zachery-C

Grip
OK, thanks a ton!

Another question though.. as i see in the diagram for the box, there is 3 braces. Where do i put these braces? It doesnt exactly say... It seems like they are just put spaced evenly in the box.

Where would i find the MDF, or what would be the cheapest material that would work?

Lastly,
Where can i find these FP3 ports? I searched yahoo to no luck. Thanks - Zack

Adam.Heckman

Second Unit
Also, add a column on your expense sheet for the other supplies. The MDF, screws, caulk/liquid nails, foam to seal the openings, etc. (btw, I got the closed cell foam used to seal truck caps to the truck beds for my sealer, works great). I made a mid-q sealed tempest over the summer and spent 350 + or - all said and done after the shipping and supplies.

However, if you end up not going to the movies for two weekend or whatever you do to save money, it'll be worth it. The Tempest is amazing. I used the same 250w plate amp, wired into both voice coils for a 4ohm load. Have fun!!

G3T5VM.

Zachery-C

Grip
Talkin about the movies...we have netflix, so that wouldnt matter..but thanks for the info.. Yeah, i am still trying to get together a 5.1 system for about $500...
Adire Tempest Sub/Box everything for about $350
MTX Monitor 6 (x4) + Monitor 6C for Front/Rear/C $140

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks