What's new

I need a full featured Reciever for under $1500 (1 Viewer)

Hello,
I was referred to this forum by someone on the AVSforum. That is a grat forum, but is somewhat lacking in the receiver department. Most of the discussions in the audio section revolve around VERY high dollar equipment. Threads like.. "Should I settle for the $1000 speaker cables, or do I need the expensive ones?" ..ok that's an exaggeration, but I think you get my point!
This seems like a wonderful forum that can be really helpful. I was a little taken back by the 24 hour wait, but I guess that helps to keep the trolls out;)
Here's what I want/need
-6 digital inputs (at least)
-6 s-video inputs
-6.1 analog inputs
-direct access buttons on the front- not just one button that you push repeatedly to choose your source
-1 digital out
-2 s-video outs
-DTS
-DTS-ES
-DD
-DD-EX
-Pro-logic
-at least 100 wpc
-auto detect/switching of surround formats.
-multi room
I'm leaning toward the Newcastle 963. I have a Newcastle 945 that sounds great, but doesn't have enough inputs. The thing I like about the (63 is the remote, I was planning on buying one of those anyway to replace my Pronto.
What are some other options? Every thing I want is usually only found in the $2500-$3000 units. Sound quality isn't a big issue. I figure that any receiver over $1000 will sound good enough for my room.
Thanks,
~Jay

Mike boettner

Stunt Coordinator
you can buy a used Yamaha RX-V1 for about $1500. I do believe it has all of your requirements except for the direct access button. It has a knob that cycles through them. I have the DSP-A1, which is very similar to it. The knob works very well, the display has an indicator to tell you which one is selected.

Mike

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
I didn't check the receiver specs to see how it compares to the inputs and outputs you want but how about the Marantz SR-8200. If you're willing to get a factory refurbished model that comes with a one year factory warranty from an authorized e-tailer, check out accessories4less.com. I saw them going for $1000 there.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
I agree completely with what you said. A lot of people on this forum will try to steer you toward something that "sounds" good. Don't be fooled, I have nothing but Bose and "white van" speakers and it sounds like cr-p but it cost me a fortune. I love it. :D
With that said, I am just giving you a little bit of ribbing since that is not a very popular sentiment on HTF. In fact you will find most people with the exact opposite approach. I will be the first to tell you that not all 1000 dollar receivers will sound like a 1000 dollar receiver, unless you can tell me what that sounds like. I have heard good things about the Newcastle you are looking at and I would also check out the Onkyo line. Specifically the 797 (retail) or 898 (interned). http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...0&p=504647&s=0 It seems to have everything you need. And again, I was just teasing you, I'm sure that is not how you meant it. Welcome to the HTF ;)

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
Sony 5es and JVC 10/ onkyo 898. I can't find anyone to post the specs on the new outlaw. But that may be a real option for you. Your at a price range that is in between everything. I feel you should go to separates above $1300. 5es=$750

898=$1100

3802=$800

outlaw preamp+=??????

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
At $1500, I'd probably say you should be looking at separates also.

However, I will second the Marantz SR8200. It has 7 digital inputs (4 optical, 3 coax, but one optical is on the front). 120wpc, and more or less everything you mentioned. If you need more than that, there is the 9200.

Mike Veroukis

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael
You may also wish to investigate the Yamaha RX-V3200. It should be around the $1500usd mark. I would probably take that over a used RX-V1 simply because it has more of the newer sound formats like DPL2 and Neo6. It's 120x6 and has all the features listed except for the direct access buttons on the unit (it has those on the remote, which is a learning universal with macros).

Come to think of it, the RX-V2200 may also have all the features you're looking for and it's under $1000usd.

- Mike

Thanks for all the suggestions!! I'm looking at all of them now.
How can I get into separates for $1500? My dream setup would be Lexicon MC-12 balanced into Genelec studio monitors, but I don't have $20,000 ;)
Even a used 7 channel amp of equal or better quality than the suggested receivers wouldn't be cheap. The only processor I can think of would be the Outlaw. But I don't think I could get that with any nice amp for $1500
What do you suggest for separates??
Thanks,
~Jay

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
The sherwood has a pre and an amp, 9080 model I believe, that you can get for around a 1000. Or you could get the outlaw 950 and the sherwood amp. That would be about 1500 once you figure in shipping. The Outlaw does not do a lot of what you ask for though. I think that would be the downside to seperates for you. The amount of inputs you need can be hard to find in a processor in that price range.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I was thinking Outlaw and a used or inexpensive amp also, but neglected to consider that you may not get some of the features that you are looking for in that price range...sorry.

Note that many, if not all, of the receivers mentioned all will have pre-outs, so an amp could be added to them. You may consider using a lower cost (~$700-$800) lower power receiver with the features you want, and add a good amp. Then, swap out the receiver for a nice pre/pro later. Just a thought.

Stephen Houdek

Second Unit
Real Name
S
The Onkyo 797 is a good option but it will only run you $825 or so.......the 989 should be in your terrritory and is an excellent receiver that is flash upgradeable.

What speakers do you have? Are they 4 or 8 ohms? How big is the room? Do you have a sub? If so, which sub?

The room is about 16' x 18' with an 11' ceiling. The speakers across the front are Tannoy PBM 6.5 http://64.213.162.194/lit/pbm65.html and are 8 ohms, the surrounds are crappy old Price Club speakers- Audio source I think. The sub is a BagEnd Infrasub 18" 400 watts.
My current Receiver (Newcastle 945) seems to be plenty powerful enough, but I suppose more power would Sound slightly better at higher volumes.
~Jay

Stephen Houdek

Second Unit
Real Name
S
Mostly HT or music? The Onkyo's are excellent with HT and good with music. Haven't heard too many of the Marantz's but hear they sometimes have quality issues. You might not have to spend the whole $1500 to get a darn good sounding system.

BTW: I agree with you on the avs forum. This is being harsh, but they seem a little snobby over there.

Bryan Michael

Supporting Actor
i sevvont the onkyo 797 i have the 787 and it is awsome pleny of power and sounds great i have polk audio speakers 800i mains 400i center and 500i for all 4 surounds and i havent turned the volune past -15 it is very loud and clear

Just an update...

Thanks for all the help!

I ended up with the Onkyo 898.

I choose it for the direct access buttons on the front, and it's reputation for ease of use. I haven't watched a movie yet, but the little bit of music I listened to sounds fine. About equal old to my Newcastle 945.

I just need to add rear speakers now to make the 7.1 functions complete!

~Jay

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
Just to let you know, a good, used 5 channel amp for around $600 will beat the pants off the amp section in any $1500 receiver. So if you get the Outlaw for $900, or a used DC1 for $1k, or if you dont need PLII or 6.1, a Maranta 9000, Aragon Soundstage, Rotel 976, or something else for ~1000, and a 5 channel (rotel, marantz, parasound, outlaw, just to name a few) and voila, a setup that will beat almost any receiver, regardless of price.

The only problem was that there is no preamp with the features I needed for anywhere near my budget.
If I later add a used high quality amp, then that could give me a noticeable improvement for a reasonable price. I may do that next year:) Or If I come into some money I could always add some nice powered Genelec or NHT-Pro monitors. That would give me a huge improvement!
~Jay

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
Jay,

If you can stretch to $1800, you can do:

1) Pioneer Elite VSX-47tx NIB (with room correction)

2) Harman Kardon AVR8000 NIB(with Logic7)

3) Outlaw prepro ($900) + Parasound 1205A 140x5 amp ($750 used, from me) + Parasound 1000 110x2 (common for $200 used on ebay)

All great choices with their pluses and minuses.

Mike Bledsoe

Stunt Coordinator
Dear Jay

That may be a hard one. The Denon 3802 is the closest thing I can think of right now but it lacks all the digital connections you need and it does not have buttons on the front that let you control everything with one touch, as a matter of fact I do not think that anyone does anymore (I think it saves money in design), so I think you may have to spend a little money to satisfy your needs.

Mike Bledsoe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mattbuffalo
Recent bookmarks