What's new

I havnt been paying attention; Is DVI/Firewire over yet? (1 Viewer)

Tommy Ceez

Second Unit
I held off on a Mits HD for monetary reasons but Christmas is coming...how close are they to setteling this issue, if at all?
THIS IS NOT AN INVITATION TO START A WAR OR FLAMETHROW!

Jim FC

Stunt Coordinator
Mitsu supports firewire. Sony and Hitachi use DVI. Among other brands, I don't know who's who. The bottom line is this: no matter which format a certain company embraces, all HDTVs have something in common: high-speed component video inputs! There is currently no HD programming I know of in the US that cannot be watched on your TV with component inputs.

So my answer to the question? If you thought it was an issue before, it still is. I never considered it an issue, though, and I won't bother with it until there's something I can't watch unless I have DVI or firewire.

Chet Hayes

Agent
Actually, Hitachi RPTVs have both Firewire and DVI. Mitsubishi is the only RPTV manufacturer offering only Firewire, just about everybody else is offering DVI in their new units.

In terms of setting standards, the FCC has started holding hearings on the copy protection issue. That's a good example of how upside down the FCC's priorities are. That issue, along with a std interface to the STB should have been resolved long ago. Instead, they want built in tuners.

In the meantime, it's anyone's guess what the future implications will be.

MickBurke

Grip
(NEWBIE ALERT!!!)

Would DVI be the VGA type connector?

Is there any good HT dictionary out there anywhere?

Mick

Justin Hargis

Stunt Coordinator
Physically, the ports look different. So no, they are not the same port. I believe DVI is pure uncompressed DIGITAL information, while VGA (aka RGB) is an analog connection?

DavidVTHokie

Stunt Coordinator
I think Mick might be referring to the DVI connectors on PCs that lets them support flat panel displays. I believe this us the same connector.

MickBurke

Grip
OK. I think I've got it now... I was actualy thinking of the standard vga type port (I thought I had heard they were on some TV's) I know what this one is now, I've got somethign similar on one of my cards. Thanks for clarifying!

Mick

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks