What's new

I got ripped off!!!!... now I need to converting wire connection (1 Viewer)

snowboarder1087

Auditioning
Real Name
Phil
I fell for the white speaker van scam and was sold a set of "$2,500" Sutherland ST-15 speakers for $500, though they are probably only worth half of what I paid.

In anycase since I spent all this money on these speakers and they do look beautiful... I'd like to hook them up to my LCD TV (Vizio - SV421XVT1A). But this 5.1 Speaker system is only wired with what looks like copper (two very thin wires that you wrap around negative and positive connections) and my TV input options are: AV, composite and hdmi.

Is there such a thing as a wire convertor from copper to a AV, composite or hdmi?

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
No. Wire connectors are correct for speakers. They need to go to an amp. Your TV doesn't have an amp. So it doesn't have powered outputs. You'll never make that work. Without buying an amp/receiver that is.

(with all these posts by "1" poster people, I'm wondering if we're attracting legitimate new crowd, or just spam trolls)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Phil:

If you can swing a 5.1 HT A/V receiver/amplifier (from a place like Best Buy), you'll be making a significant upgrade to your TV/Movie(and maybe gaming) experience.

Even if you have confirmed you got ripped off in a white van scam...many people are still pleased with the product they end up with. So you may be able to take those figurative lemons and make lemonade.

Good luck! And welcome to the HTF!

Let us know how things work out.

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
You mean the guys who sold you the speakers didn't try to sell you a white van receiver?

Now that you fessed up to your mistake I wonder why people continue to fall for these scams. My first thoughts of someone selling merchandise in this manner is the equipment is hot, and I could be on the hook for purchasing stolen property.

mylan

Screenwriter
I'm surprised that with only one post you even know what "white van" means, you got schooled quickly!

chuckg

Supporting Actor
I went to a speaker store, and they sold me a white van! Now what do I do?

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Chuck: did they at least have a title? You might check and make sure they didn't, you know, do something bad to it ;)

snowboarder1087

Auditioning
Real Name
Phil
I ended up buying a new system on ebay. The Samsung HT-BD1250 Surround Sound System with Blu-Ray. I got it for $475 US ($498 CDN) including shipping to Canada.

After reading below, I didn't want to risk having my house burn down and insurance voided all for $500. Now I can sleep well, I have a blu-ray player and a much better surround sound system and I didn't need to buy another item (amplifier) for this crappy system to just function. I think I have learned my lesson and thanks everyone for your help!

"Consumers have reported receiving products which have been faulty for some time now.[10] This is a result of sub-standard quality and manufacturing processes. However, during June 2008 another, more serious warning emerged. Denmark Audio systems inter alia had been found to have an impedance curve dropping below two ohms.[12] The result of this fault will damage amplifiers connected to the load when it drops, however it could also lead to overheating and short circuits.[12] Therefore these systems could potentially cause a fire if left unattended. Products are not UL listed, and therefore use may void home and contents insurance."

MrMark

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark
Originally Posted by snowboarder1087

I fell for the white speaker van scam and was sold a set of "$2,500" Sutherland ST-15 speakers for $500, though they are probably only worth half of what I paid.

In anycase since I spent all this money on these speakers and they do look beautiful... I'd like to hook them up to my LCD TV (Vizio - SV421XVT1A). But this 5.1 Speaker system is only wired with what looks like copper (two very thin wires that you wrap around negative and positive connections) and my TV input options are: AV, composite and hdmi.

Is there such a thing as a wire convertor from copper to a AV, composite or hdmi?
Putting aside the scam and just thinking about hooking equipment to an HDTV, it usually helps to think about the logic of the signal flow. Some components are sources, like Blu-ray players, and some components are typically not sources, like display devices and speakers. A component like a speaker needs a source. Some speakers have built-in amplification (known as active speakers), so they can be connected directly to a line-level source component...like a BD player. Some TV's have line-level audio outputs, so one could connect active speakers in that case.

On the other hand, the vast majority of speakers are not active, so they cannot be driven by line-level sources - they must be driven by an amplifier. There have been a few examples of TVs that came with built-in amplifiers that were suitable for driving speakers, but in most home theater systems, speakers are driven by A/V receivers.

The good news is that there are some pretty affordable A/V receivers out there these days, so if you don't need all of the latest features or high power, it need not cost a lot to get decent sound. The biggest expense for most systems is the speakers, so if those "white van" speakers are any good at all, you already have part of what you need. If not, well...that is just sad.

-Mark

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
So what did you do with your dangerous Sutherland ST-15 speakers? Sell them out of your van to someone else?

barefool

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowboarder1087

After reading below, I didn't want to risk having my house burn down and insurance voided all for $500.
I think the stories of insurance claims being denied because of a non-UL listed device are urban myths. I haven't found any language in my homeowners policy that states, "If you plug something in and accidentally cause a fire, then we won't pay your damages." Insurance generally pays for damages caused by people doing stupid things.

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
A few months ago Consumer Reports or similar publication did a write up about UL. As I remember the article said that the UL Mark cares no legal meaning other than the right to use the trademark. UL does not “approve” products. Rather it evaluates products, components, materials and systems for compliance to specific requirements established by UL.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks