What's new

I don't know how she did it, but.... (1 Viewer)

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
Somehow, my wife managed to reset my Rotel RSP-976 processor to factory default settings just as I got home from work tonight. "You're going to hate me,'' she said. She was just trying to switch modes from stereo to Dolby surround.
"It's your fault,'' she assured me. "You never showed me how to use the stupid remote.''
Oh, well. I'll just get the Rotel remote out of storage (I haven't used it in the six months that I've owned the unit because I have the Marantz RC2000 MkII). Wrong! Batteries in the Rotel remote are dead and, of course, they're AAA batteries and we don't have any in the house and...
And I don't have an SPL meter and I didn't write down my settings...and...:angry:
OK, venting done

DaleR

Stunt Coordinator
thank god for the memory guard setting on my receiver.but in sympathy allow me to...:angry:

Kevin Deacon

Second Unit
Wait till your wife decides she wants to listen to a CD and can't get the sound to come out of those boxes. So she decides there is a volume problem and cranks it to super reference levels, but still no sound, hmm. She then decides to switch through the sources to see if anything else is working without turning the volume down.

Now that sucks. Thankfully, nothing was harmed and lessons were learned.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Of course the solution is to give the 'other' party a small, uncomplicated remote of their own to use. This has worked very well for me (system protection-wise).

But then again, some systems are sooooooo complex, (they) can't even play a CD. Kinda makes you think long and hard about that 'new gotta have' component.

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
Of course, there are benefits, too. I will tell her I really should purchase my own SPL meter to readjust the settings rather than borrow one from a friend.
An extra bonus, after my wife realized the extent of her remote fiasco, she became extra nice and offered to make coffee for me.:) I don't hear that very often. Even the kids were stunned.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Wait till your wife decides she wants to listen to a CD and can't get the sound to come out of those boxes. So she decides there is a volume problem and cranks it to super reference levels, but still no sound, hmm. She then decides to switch through the sources to see if anything else is working without turning the volume down.
My wife has done something similar when accidently pressing the MUTE button. I've come home and noticed the volume set way too high for the sound level, and cringe at the thought of what might have happened. :frowning:
I'm just as useless in some areas that my wife excels at, though, so I guess it all balances out in the end.

Alex F.

Second Unit
Or when my wife forgot that you have to turn off the power amp first and wait about 30 seconds before shutting down the tube preamp. You see, for maximum sound quality, the specially modified preamp has no protection circuitry and it emits the most incredible shriek imaginable when powered down. I heard it two rooms away behind a closed door. Luckily, no damage to the tweeters or anything else.

Larry B

Screenwriter
Once, while I was in the shower, the S.O. decided to put a CD into the transport, something she basically never does. She must have not centered it so when she hit the "load" button, it went half way in and stopped. That would have been easily correctable - - all she had to do was open the drawer and re-seat the disc. But no. Instead, she remembered that the drawer can be closed by pushing it so, you guessed it, she shoved the drawer in, thereby jamming the disc between the drawer and the case. (BTW, this was an Ayre D1 which set me back a pretty penny. As you might imagine, I was not the happiest camper.) Fortunately, a friend was able to open up the unit and remove the disc, and nothing was damaged.

Larry

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
Boy am I glad I saved all my settings as the system default
and in a file form on my copmuter.
The B&K Ref 30 is nice just for these times.
I feel your pain:frowning:

Jim Thompson

Agent
That's one of the nice things about my Pronto.
I have it set up with icons and macros for everything.
It asks her what she wants to do and all she has to do
is push the corresponding button.;)Even the channels
are arranged with icons.:emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks