What's new

I can't stand theaters.... (1 Viewer)

Glen C

Stunt Coordinator
You guys should complain and get a refund or free ticket if you are really bothered during the movie. No manager will refuse and most will be begging your forgiveness.

Last flick i saw in a theatre was Miracle (kids b-day party) and you could here a pin drop during the flick.

Glen C

Stunt Coordinator
You guys should complain and get a refund or free ticket if you are really bothered during the movie. No manager will refuse and most will be begging your forgiveness.

Last flick i saw in a theatre was Miracle (kids b-day party) and you could here a pin drop during the flick.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C

A free ticket or a refund doesn't give me back the experience that was ruined, nor does it make up for the time I wasted driving to the thater and dealing with the crappy audience. It's like being mistreated by a waiter and then receiving a coupon for my next visit. What makes them think I WANT to come back??

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C

A free ticket or a refund doesn't give me back the experience that was ruined, nor does it make up for the time I wasted driving to the thater and dealing with the crappy audience. It's like being mistreated by a waiter and then receiving a coupon for my next visit. What makes them think I WANT to come back??

HorstenG

Auditioning
Dear Vicki:

"I'm constantly taken aback at how proud some people sound when they announce to one and all that they don't go to the theater. That's not the sound of a movie lover."

Take a look at the first line of this post...

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=201440

Then read who posted it.

Tell them they are not a movie lover.

I dont think your opinion on this issue carrys much weight anymore.

HorstenG

Auditioning
Dear Vicki:

"I'm constantly taken aback at how proud some people sound when they announce to one and all that they don't go to the theater. That's not the sound of a movie lover."

Take a look at the first line of this post...

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=201440

Then read who posted it.

Tell them they are not a movie lover.

I dont think your opinion on this issue carrys much weight anymore.

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor
I don't have what most people would call a Home Theatre. I have a 28" widescreen CRT (Sony) and a DD5.1/DTS capable amplifier. For my money it's perfectly adequate for watching movies on, but I don't think it's anywhere as good as watching a movie in a proper theatre.

But then neither is going to my local multiplex.

It's the lesser of two evils. I hate my local multiplex (and I've said so in previous postings to this thread). I don't care to spend good money watching an appalling presentation in appalling surroundings. My home setup is better than that, but in an ideal world I'd rather see movies (first time) in a decent theatre. One where the movie is projected in focus, where my shoes don't stick to the carpet and I don't have to listen to some gormless oaf roaring into his cellphone that he's watching such-and-such a movie. Yes, he'll meet his mates for a pint of cider afterwards and then they'll go round for a kebab.

I'd prefer to see fewer cinemas if anything, doing showcase presentations of movies on a proper big screen with matching sound. A well-behaved audience would be nice and maybe they could give you a discount on the DVD of the movie you just watched when you came out of the screening and presented your ticket stub.

I'll get excited when that figure drops to under $1K

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor
I don't have what most people would call a Home Theatre. I have a 28" widescreen CRT (Sony) and a DD5.1/DTS capable amplifier. For my money it's perfectly adequate for watching movies on, but I don't think it's anywhere as good as watching a movie in a proper theatre.

But then neither is going to my local multiplex.

It's the lesser of two evils. I hate my local multiplex (and I've said so in previous postings to this thread). I don't care to spend good money watching an appalling presentation in appalling surroundings. My home setup is better than that, but in an ideal world I'd rather see movies (first time) in a decent theatre. One where the movie is projected in focus, where my shoes don't stick to the carpet and I don't have to listen to some gormless oaf roaring into his cellphone that he's watching such-and-such a movie. Yes, he'll meet his mates for a pint of cider afterwards and then they'll go round for a kebab.

I'd prefer to see fewer cinemas if anything, doing showcase presentations of movies on a proper big screen with matching sound. A well-behaved audience would be nice and maybe they could give you a discount on the DVD of the movie you just watched when you came out of the screening and presented your ticket stub.

I'll get excited when that figure drops to under $1K

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Well...

Used Sony 1031Q (CRT projector capable of displaying 720p) = $500

Home Theater In A Box = $300

8 Ft Parkland Plastics DIY Screen = $50

Momitsu DVD Player capable of upscaling to 720p = Under $300

It CAN be done if you don't mind getting your hands dirty a bit :)

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Well...

Used Sony 1031Q (CRT projector capable of displaying 720p) = $500

Home Theater In A Box = $300

8 Ft Parkland Plastics DIY Screen = $50

Momitsu DVD Player capable of upscaling to 720p = Under $300

It CAN be done if you don't mind getting your hands dirty a bit :)

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
I have read this entire message thread with great interest.

I think I must be extremely fortunate, to say the least--the last several times I've actually seen a movie in a theater is in a recently-built Century Theatres complex where every screen has full THX certification with CLEAR sound reproduction and decent picture quality, not to mention actually decent concessions (even though they're still expensive, natch. :frowning: ).

Small wonder I actually enjoyed watching the three Lord of the Rings movies in the theater. :emoji_thumbsup:

Frankly, the majority of theaters are subpar when it comes to the theater experience. :thumbsdown: Between dark and out-of-focus projection, lousy sound quality, terrible quality concessions and too many unrespectful moviegoers, no wonder why I've watched a lot of movies at home on DVD instead.

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
When I find a theater which is designed and maintained by somebody who has as much passion for movies, attention to detail, and technical savvy as your average 'home theater' person, well, I'll have found a theater worth going to.

In the meantime, yes, your average home theater is probably a better overall experience, and quality, than your local megaplex with ratty, scratched up film prints, poorly maintained projector, idiot teenagers (and adults; no ageism here :) unbalanced sound, natty furniture, and so on.

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor
I had a great home theater moment last weekend: some friends came over to watch John Carpenter's The Thing. When Kurt Russell was doing the blood test and it sprang up, I glanced over and watched them jumping in their seats in fright.

As cool as that was, it can't compare to seeing an entire theater full of people start in fright, or cheering, or applauding. The energy that the right audience can make is worth risking the potential downfalls of going out to a theater.

Brian_H

Stunt Coordinator
When I go to the Loews theater that's 35-45 minutes from my apartment, despite there being two other decent theaters that are 5 and 15 minutes from me, I do so for one reason...

VIP seating. Pay an extra 5 bucks and you get big, comfortable leather-type chairs, can bring food and drink in from the restaurant/bar (including beer/mixed drinks), reserved seating, and there is always at least one, sometimes two ushers that stay throughout the movie, primarily there to make sure no one sneaks into the VIP section, but just as convenient for keeping things as they should be. Even if they don't jump on someone immediately for being rude, a quick waive of the hand gets them over to you and a "tell them to shut the hell up" later everything's fine. Sure beats a trip to the lobby to find someone to take care of it, and missing part of the movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mattbuffalo
Recent bookmarks