What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

I can't stand theaters.... (1 Viewer)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member

Tell ya what, that scene never stood out for me (I didn't even know it was a famous/classic scene), until I saw it in the theater. The whole room darkened all of a sudden, with the appearance of the desert, all set to this deep, rumbling bass. I (and the audience) litterally gasped in wonder...

--
H

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member

Tell ya what, that scene never stood out for me (I didn't even know it was a famous/classic scene), until I saw it in the theater. The whole room darkened all of a sudden, with the appearance of the desert, all set to this deep, rumbling bass. I (and the audience) litterally gasped in wonder...

--
H

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I agree with trying to see this in 70mm Rob.

That particular cut was probably responsible for Anne Coates winning an Oscar for editing. I’m pretty sure I heard in a commentary somewhere (or perhaps read) that she claimed to have been highly influenced by the French New Wave in this regard.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I agree with trying to see this in 70mm Rob.

That particular cut was probably responsible for Anne Coates winning an Oscar for editing. I’m pretty sure I heard in a commentary somewhere (or perhaps read) that she claimed to have been highly influenced by the French New Wave in this regard.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member

I'm in agreement with Vickie here. A film buff should be proud of seeing movies in the theater. I was damn proud of how many times I saw FOTR in the theaters (5 times). Best movie going experience: LOTR Trilogy Tuesday. Talk about a respectful and fun audience, and a most kick-ass experience :emoji_thumbsup:

I've got an X1 projector, 5.1, etc but a movie theater is still better! If we can see something on the big screen, we will do our best to do so.

I never understand all the negative theater comments. I've posted previously on this. I'm always confused by the comments that the theater is always irritating.
I've had very very few negative theater experiences with regards to people, most of them minor. Perhaps a few more than that with regards to sound/projection - most of them not major offenses. Problems, overall, seem few and far between.

Examples of problems:
During our honeymoon these past few weeks, we saw Harry Potter in a little theater in Big Bear Lake, CA - far from our home in Midland, MI. The bottom of the screen was cut off a tiny bit - perhaps 5%. I will admit I have seen quite a few of these minor errors. Kill Bill vol2 had the edges cut off in our local theater by a little bit (cropped the subtitles a bit). I rate these types of problems as minor, not major offenses. Perhaps I differ from most in my judgement of major and minor.

Then again, we find ourselves watching more and more anime at home and mainly indy/niche movies at theaters, and less blockbusters, so perhaps we are becoming so non-mainstream that we miss the annoying people? :D

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member

I'm in agreement with Vickie here. A film buff should be proud of seeing movies in the theater. I was damn proud of how many times I saw FOTR in the theaters (5 times). Best movie going experience: LOTR Trilogy Tuesday. Talk about a respectful and fun audience, and a most kick-ass experience :emoji_thumbsup:

I've got an X1 projector, 5.1, etc but a movie theater is still better! If we can see something on the big screen, we will do our best to do so.

I never understand all the negative theater comments. I've posted previously on this. I'm always confused by the comments that the theater is always irritating.
I've had very very few negative theater experiences with regards to people, most of them minor. Perhaps a few more than that with regards to sound/projection - most of them not major offenses. Problems, overall, seem few and far between.

Examples of problems:
During our honeymoon these past few weeks, we saw Harry Potter in a little theater in Big Bear Lake, CA - far from our home in Midland, MI. The bottom of the screen was cut off a tiny bit - perhaps 5%. I will admit I have seen quite a few of these minor errors. Kill Bill vol2 had the edges cut off in our local theater by a little bit (cropped the subtitles a bit). I rate these types of problems as minor, not major offenses. Perhaps I differ from most in my judgement of major and minor.

Then again, we find ourselves watching more and more anime at home and mainly indy/niche movies at theaters, and less blockbusters, so perhaps we are becoming so non-mainstream that we miss the annoying people? :D

Chris Rein

Stunt Coordinator
I guess when they tear down the best theater Dallas EVER had (Northpark 1 & 2) I sort of lost interest in going. Then the Galaxy popped up and got me going again and again (even if it was a 30+ min drive). Then they started to slip. Sound started getting bad. Bad neighborhood. The new gig in town is all the way Downtown, and sort of hard to get to. My other favorite is way up north (Legacy) and sometimes isn't worth the drive.

If I waited "x" long to watch a movie at the theater and the window of theater to disc is about 3-6 months, what's waiting an extra few months?

If Northpark 1 & 2 was open right now, I would be going everytime they had a new movie. The prints were always pristine, the sound (albiet loud, but VERY controlled) was always "Dead on balls accurate" ;) and those guys LOVED working there. It was always a great time. Those were the days!

I tell you what though, whenever I'm in Los Angeles, I make a special trip the The Graumans Chinese Theater (or The Fox depending on the film selection) to see whatever is playing...even IF I've already seen the movie! If the movie playing was terrible, I'd still go. That's what it's all about. Those places. Those are the good experiences. Hmm, I guess anything that starts with "Multi" and ends in "Plex" is bad news for me.

So, was The Terminal THAT bad? YIKES!

Chris Rein

Stunt Coordinator
I guess when they tear down the best theater Dallas EVER had (Northpark 1 & 2) I sort of lost interest in going. Then the Galaxy popped up and got me going again and again (even if it was a 30+ min drive). Then they started to slip. Sound started getting bad. Bad neighborhood. The new gig in town is all the way Downtown, and sort of hard to get to. My other favorite is way up north (Legacy) and sometimes isn't worth the drive.

If I waited "x" long to watch a movie at the theater and the window of theater to disc is about 3-6 months, what's waiting an extra few months?

If Northpark 1 & 2 was open right now, I would be going everytime they had a new movie. The prints were always pristine, the sound (albiet loud, but VERY controlled) was always "Dead on balls accurate" ;) and those guys LOVED working there. It was always a great time. Those were the days!

I tell you what though, whenever I'm in Los Angeles, I make a special trip the The Graumans Chinese Theater (or The Fox depending on the film selection) to see whatever is playing...even IF I've already seen the movie! If the movie playing was terrible, I'd still go. That's what it's all about. Those places. Those are the good experiences. Hmm, I guess anything that starts with "Multi" and ends in "Plex" is bad news for me.

So, was The Terminal THAT bad? YIKES!

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member

Those were great theaters. But the Angelica is no more than 5 minutes down Central Expressway from Northpark and the Magnolia is probably only five minutes further. Both of these theaters have comfortable seating and friendly, helpful and movie-knowledgeable staff.

You are correct that the Plano Legacy theaters are up north—but it is not as though they are on the other side of the Red River. Perhaps 20 minutes north of Northpark.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member

Those were great theaters. But the Angelica is no more than 5 minutes down Central Expressway from Northpark and the Magnolia is probably only five minutes further. Both of these theaters have comfortable seating and friendly, helpful and movie-knowledgeable staff.

You are correct that the Plano Legacy theaters are up north—but it is not as though they are on the other side of the Red River. Perhaps 20 minutes north of Northpark.

Brent Hutto

Supporting Actor
We attend maybe a dozen or so movies a year in theaters. There are times when you want to "go out to a movie" and on those occasions the home theater is a moot point. That said, at least in our locale the better way to actually see a movie that we really like is in the home theater (although in fact if we really, really like it we watch it in the theater and then again at home when the DVD comes out). And our home theater is very basic (36" television, decent 5.1 sound, comfortable sofa, fairly good light control).

There isn't an impressively large, consistently well projected theater with a great sound system anywhere in this area. If there were, we'd probably see 30+ movies a year at that theater. Worse yet, a lot of the movies we care to see don't even show on the decent-sized theaters that are available. They are usually on tiny screens at one or two venues for a few weeks at best.

NOTE FOR RICARDO_C:

I certainly recognized Alison Krauss the first time I saw the photo in your signature. And just two weeks ago we were on the fourth row for a Great High Mountain Tour show in Winston-Salem, NC. One of the highlights was a twin-fiddle break with Alison and Stewart Duncan. Great Stuff!

Brent Hutto

Supporting Actor
We attend maybe a dozen or so movies a year in theaters. There are times when you want to "go out to a movie" and on those occasions the home theater is a moot point. That said, at least in our locale the better way to actually see a movie that we really like is in the home theater (although in fact if we really, really like it we watch it in the theater and then again at home when the DVD comes out). And our home theater is very basic (36" television, decent 5.1 sound, comfortable sofa, fairly good light control).

There isn't an impressively large, consistently well projected theater with a great sound system anywhere in this area. If there were, we'd probably see 30+ movies a year at that theater. Worse yet, a lot of the movies we care to see don't even show on the decent-sized theaters that are available. They are usually on tiny screens at one or two venues for a few weeks at best.

NOTE FOR RICARDO_C:

I certainly recognized Alison Krauss the first time I saw the photo in your signature. And just two weeks ago we were on the fourth row for a Great High Mountain Tour show in Winston-Salem, NC. One of the highlights was a twin-fiddle break with Alison and Stewart Duncan. Great Stuff!

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
All I can say is you can't watch HOW THE WEST WAS WON in a home theater. Granted, you can't really watch it in all but a handful of real theaters anymore as either. However I have to say that I wouldn't trade the experience I had seeing Cinerama in all it's triple-screen glory for anything. I can lose myself in a movie theater screen. It's much harder at home.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
All I can say is you can't watch HOW THE WEST WAS WON in a home theater. Granted, you can't really watch it in all but a handful of real theaters anymore as either. However I have to say that I wouldn't trade the experience I had seeing Cinerama in all it's triple-screen glory for anything. I can lose myself in a movie theater screen. It's much harder at home.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Maybe your confusion comes from the fact that noone said that the "theater is always irritating".What "we said" was that this problem seems to be getting worst among those who experience this more often then not,It has nothing to do how much a movie buff I'm,it has more to do how much BS I would tolarate in order to enjoy the presentation.Movies needs to be seen for their merit not how it was shown,having said that I agree that some movies have a different impact on the big screen,and I do try to see those in that enviroment,it just becoming a "chore".Those of you who have nothing bud good experinces won't negate those who have negative[predominantly]ones,[and vice versa]and I leave it at that.
Enjoy!

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Maybe your confusion comes from the fact that noone said that the "theater is always irritating".What "we said" was that this problem seems to be getting worst among those who experience this more often then not,It has nothing to do how much a movie buff I'm,it has more to do how much BS I would tolarate in order to enjoy the presentation.Movies needs to be seen for their merit not how it was shown,having said that I agree that some movies have a different impact on the big screen,and I do try to see those in that enviroment,it just becoming a "chore".Those of you who have nothing bud good experinces won't negate those who have negative[predominantly]ones,[and vice versa]and I leave it at that.
Enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexj-12
Recent bookmarks