What's new

I absolutely DESPISE the United Parcel Service! (1 Viewer)

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
You may end up with the situation we have here in Canada! No home delivery at all for about 75% of the population. We have what are called “community mailboxes” which are down the block from our house on the street. They look like ones in apartment buildings. We have to slog through all kinds of wether to get our mail. Everyone hates them.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You may end up with the situation we have here in Canada! No home delivery at all for about 75% of the population. We have what are called “community mailboxes” which are down the block from our house on the street. They look like ones in apartment buildings. We have to slog through all kinds of wether to get our mail. Everyone hates them.
We have some of that here in the States.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
OMG, I wish every company treated customers like Apple does.... Arrived for my Genius Bar appointment and checked in. The Apple Store was packed (I counted 38 employees and over 200 customers). The Genius came to where I was waiting (a couple of minutes ahead of my appointment time), took one look at the dirt under the screen on the iPad, and apologized that Apple let me down with the quality control. I said the dirt specs were pretty small and could understand how it could be missed. She said that Apple's goal is to never let something like this get shipped in the first place. Within about 2 minutes someone from the back delivered a replacement to her. Within 3 more minutes I was on my way out the door with the replacement iPad (which I was allowed to inspect before accepting it). The Genius helped me wipe all data off of the Best Buy iPad during that 3 minutes.

I was out of the store within 10 minutes of walking in! No hassle whatsoever despite the store being absolutely packed!

Mark

Last edited:

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
They still have good benefits including a pension plan as far as I know. I was saying if mail carriers/sorters get privatized by some other company which there is a lot of talk about these days. If that happens say goodbye to anything resembling reliability, and a worker turnover rate that is astronomical....and worthless to no benefits.

Check this out:
https://www.downsizinggovernment.org/usps
My bad. I misunderstood.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
However, he told me I should stop believing ANYTHING that is on the tracking page or that I receive via email because UPS has huge mess on its hands right now.

There is a problem "right now" because it's the Holiday season but, for me anyway, UPS and Fedex are generally reliable, although I respect the possibility that your experiences may be different.

Their system is BROKEN. They've been in business for a very long time and there's NO EXCUSE for repeatedly telling a customer their package is coming the next day, only to be wrong, over and over again.

If this happened to me I likely wouldn't be anywhere near as patient as you've been but, again, it is the Holiday season and I also think it must have a lot to do with where you live. Whatever I order tends to arrive early compared to the promised delivery window, but I have to put up with the trucks, which are everywhere.

Last edited:

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
They still have good benefits including a pension plan as far as I know. I was saying if mail carriers/sorters get privatized by some other company which there is a lot of talk about these days. If that happens say goodbye to anything resembling reliability, and a worker turnover rate that is astronomical....and worthless to no benefits.

Check this out:
https://www.downsizinggovernment.org/usps

Yes. I've seen this article before. We can't talk politics here so I'll just say I have no problem with its content and agree that its conclusion is inevitable.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm sorry, but that site obviously has a clear political slant and is only interested in the information it wants to see.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
It's also in many ways wrong -- first about exactly how much of a Government Agency it really is.

It's even debatable how much money it's losing outside of one of the most bizarre rules that any business has been saddled with. In 2006 after USPS post small profits for a few years in a row, a stick of dynamite was attached to the Business unit and it was mandated that the USPS has to Pre-pay it's employees expected Health Care cost 50years forward. As far as I'm aware no business in existence does this or could be profitable if it had to do so. It was as if someone intentionally poisoned the business into a mandatory money losing entity for some 'unknown' reason. If USPS funded it pension and health care like virtually every other business in the country, it would actually have turned a profit or at least broken even over the last 13 years.

They can privatize or outsource or lay off employees or close Post Offices left and right, but as stipulated right now, nothing is going to get rid of the paper red ink until the pre-funding requirement is eliminated. I'll just about 100% guarantee if they "sell" the business to one of their "Wizards Behind the Curtain," one of the pre-first things that will mysteriously disappear in the transition is this pre-funding poison pill and miraculously the Business Wizards will turn a nice profit within a very short period of time.

Last edited:

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Unbelievable....

I ordered 'The Dark Night' 4K from Best Buy on Black Friday (the day after ordering the iPads). It was delivered (by UPS) within a few days. The UPS tracking shows that it was delivered and the Best Buy order page for it also shows that it was delivered.

Yet, about an hour ago, I received an email from Best Buy telling that my shipment (order # for 'The Dark Knight') was "lost in shipment" and Best Buy has refunded me $10.76. I've already received the notice from PayPal for the refund.

WTF is going on with Best Buy and UPS?

And, so far, I have not received ANY contact from Best Buy regarding my telephone call to Best Buy customer service last week. They have not charged me for the iPad again. As of this moment in time, I haven't paid for the iPad I've been using for a week.

Mark

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Forbes had an article out yesterday about FedEx vs. UPS on-time statistics.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/richar...using-fedex-and-now-we-know-why/#303c3f412da1
I know we're on a UPS feeding frenzy here, but I wonder how much of the impressions are outdated. I ship and receive every day as an integral part of my business, and in the last five years or so, UPS and FedEx have flipped. I used to receive parcels (several of these are quite large and heavy) from UPS that looked like they'd been through Hell, and ones from FedEx were pristine. Over the last few years, that has flipped. For over 15 years, we shipped FedEx and refused to talk to UPS, due to their poor handling. Well, about four or five years ago, the entire dynamic of dealing with FedEx changed, virtually overnight. It's like the entire corporation completely changed. Their surcharges went through the roof and their service tanked. UPS and FedEx have base rates, but then they have surcharges for every little thing, which can easily amount to more than the base shipping fee.

I refused to even talk to UPS, because of my experience with their handling, but about 2 1/2 years ago, I finally switched to UPS and dumped FedEx, and while no delivery service is perfect, I can say with confidence that UPS is better now than FedEx used to be. And they're more responsive to me than FedEx ever was.

A lot of the complaints I see in this thread are the fault of the vendor. Yeah, there have been a couple missing or mis-routed packages, but my experience is those are extremely rare. My Black Friday order from Best Buy was delivered by SurePost, and it was one day late. Big deal. The biggest shipping rush known to humanity, and it took one extra day. The local Post Office actually sent out extra trucks on Saturday morning, one of which delivered my order, separate from my regular mail.

This thread has had me looking at virtually every single shipment we've made, and that is a lot of shipments. The week after Thanksgiving, things definitely took a day or two longer than usual. That's actually kind of amazing, considering the massive number of packages sent that week.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I decided to call Best Buy's corporate offices (again). When I called last week the unfriendly switchboard operator switched me to customer service (the same CS team I'd already spoken too). This time I simply said to the switchboard operator.. "Best Buy is basically sending me stuff for free and your customer service team doesn't seem to know how to fix it. You might want to put me in contact with someone at corporate that knows how to resolve the problem." That worked....

The executive team member looked my orders up in Best Buy's internal system. Both the iPad and the Blu-ray showed that they were still in the process of shipping. Then he switched to looking the orders up in the customer facing system, both orders showed delivery (pickup in the case of the iPad). He said he needed to investigate the situation and he'll get back to me by end of the day.

Never have I had to work so hard to get an item I paid for and then worked so hard again to try to pay for it (again).

Mark

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Check out these two crazy tracking routes:

Package #1:
Delivered 12/16/2019 4:57 P.M. HAWTHORNE, NV, US
DELIVERED

Past Event Out for Delivery 12/16/2019 11:28 A.M. Fallon, NV, United States
Out For Delivery Today

12/16/2019 8:38 A.M. Sparks, NV, United States Destination Scan
12/16/2019 8:02 A.M. Fallon, NV, United States Arrival Scan
12/16/2019 7:06 A.M. Sparks, NV, United States Departure Scan
12/13/2019 11:22 A.M. Mather, CA, United States Arrival Scan
12/13/2019 10:36 A.M. Oakland, CA, United States Departure Scan
12/13/2019 8:00 A.M. Fallon, NV, United States Your package is in transit. We're updating plans to schedule your delivery.
12/13/2019 7:00 A.M. Sparks, NV, United States Arrival Scan
12/13/2019 6:35 A.M. Mather, CA, United States Departure Scan
12/13/2019 5:43 A.M. Oakland, CA, United States Arrival Scan
12/13/2019 5:10 A.M. Mather, CA, United States Severe weather conditions have delayed delivery.
12/13/2019 5:10 A.M. - Severe weather conditions have delayed delivery.
12/13/2019 5:03 A.M. - Severe weather conditions have delayed delivery.
12/13/2019 3:47 A.M. Louisville, KY, United States Departure Scan
12/12/2019 11:45 P.M. Louisville, KY, United States Arrival Scan
12/12/2019 11:30 P.M. Orlando, FL, United States Your package is in transit. We're updating plans to schedule your delivery.
12/12/2019 9:28 P.M. Orlando, FL, United States Departure Scan
12/12/2019 7:31 P.M. Orlando, FL, United States Arrival Scan
12/12/2019 7:00 P.M. Orlando, FL, United States Departure Scan
12/12/2019 9:34 A.M. Orlando, FL, United States Arrival Scan
12/12/2019 9:00 A.M. Orlando, FL, United States Departure Scan
Past Event Shipped 12/12/2019 3:44 A.M. Orlando, FL, United States
Origin Scan

Past Event Label Created 12/12/2019 9:49 A.M. United States
Order Processed: Ready for UPS

Shipment #2:
Delivered 12/18/2019 4:11 P.M. HAWTHORNE, NV, US
DELIVERED

Past Event Out for Delivery 12/18/2019 10:56 A.M. Fallon, NV, United States
Out For Delivery Today

12/18/2019 8:00 A.M. Fallon, NV, United States Arrival Scan
12/18/2019 7:03 A.M. Sparks, NV, United States Departure Scan
12/17/2019 9:39 P.M. Sparks, NV, United States Arrival Scan
12/17/2019 4:53 P.M. Tonopah, NV, United States Departure Scan
12/17/2019 3:54 P.M. Tonopah, NV, United States Arrival Scan
12/17/2019 11:25 A.M. Las Vegas, NV, United States Departure Scan
12/17/2019 9:21 A.M. Las Vegas, NV, United States Arrival Scan
12/17/2019 2:39 A.M. Phoenix, AZ, United States Departure Scan
12/14/2019 3:07 P.M. Phoenix, AZ, United States Arrival Scan
12/13/2019 5:05 P.M. Dallas, TX, United States Departure Scan
12/11/2019 2:51 P.M. Fallon, NV, United States We've begun an investigation to locate the package.
Past Event Shipped 12/09/2019 4:23 P.M. Lathrop, CA, United States
Origin Scan

Past Event Label Created 12/09/2019 10:28 A.M. United States
Order Processed: Ready for UPS

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I finally heard back from the Best Buy VP. He said the ONLY way for me to be charged again for the iPad is to take it a Best Buy store where they will scan the box (and adjust the in-store price to match what I originally paid) and charge me at the store. He is going to make an appointment for me with the Best Buy store manager the second week in January so I don't have to deal with Holiday crowds.

I asked about the 4K Blu-ray and he said lets only worry about the iPad at this point. I have a feeling he's going to say forget about paying for the 4K Blu-ray.

Mark

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Our daughter's TV crapped out on her four days before Christmas. We purchased a new 50" Vizio set through Costco.com and had it sent to her address in Seattle. It wasn't going to arrive in time for Christmas but she was happy anyway. The TV was scheduled to be delivered on Friday (Dec 27) via UPS (unfortunately).

The TV hadn't arrived by 12:30pm when she needed to leave for work on Friday so she put a note on the door for the UPS driver. The note requested that the TV not be left at the front door and to please attempt delivery on Monday (the next business day for UPS Ground). She returned from work Friday night and found a UPS notification slip on her front door that the second delivery attempt would be on Monday, Dec 30. Perfect, she is off on Mondays.

Except... Saturday she opens the front door of her apartment to go to work and what is sitting on the porch? The TV.

No knock, no doorbell. The freakin' UPS driver just left a $400 TV sitting at her front door. In plain sight, in the middle of a busy apartment complex where one of the main access sidewalks goes right by her front door. She checked tracking and it was delivered just after 9:30am. She opened the door at 1:00pm.

Have I mentioned that I despise UPS? They aren't even supposed to deliver Ground packages on Saturdays.

Mark

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
BTW, the Best Buy corporate VP was supposed to call me back on Dec 23 with the date/time of the appointment to go see the Best Buy store manager to pay for the iPad. He never called.

Mark

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I don’t see why you should jump through hoops to pay them. You made an honest effort, went above and beyond in spending your time (a valuable resource) trying to make it right, and they haven’t given you adequate attention. It sounds to me that they have no one to blame but themselves at this point and at a certain point, if they’re unwilling to take your payment, that’s that.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
After consultation with my wife (she's had to listen to my frustrations over the whole iPad mess), I've decided that if I don't hear back from the VP I'm not going to bother trying to contact him. The ball is in their court and if they wait too long I might forget where the court is located.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks