What's new

HTF Warner Tv/Animation Chat 9/15/08 - summary - to be updated live (1 Viewer)

whisperintherain

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Romain
This is like Christmas morning for me! Due to being European, I couldn't attend the chat (which took place in the middle of the night for me), but I am so excited to have official confirmation that both KNOTS LANDING and EVERWOOD, my two favorite Warner properties, are getting further releases in 2009. I love both of these shows to bits and I really hope they sell better this time around so that we get more than just Season 2 for both. I haven't read the whole thread, just wanted to comment on these two particular shows that are so special to me. Did anyone ask about LIFE GOES ON by any chance?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member

Not really, no. I'll see if I can re-word this in a better manner, when I post my chat round-up today at TSoD. But I don't know the details of what exactly those fixed costs are, so I don't actually have any beans to spill.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

BrandonJF

Second Unit
They seemed to confuse the 1968 Filmation Batman question with the recent DC Heroes release... I wonder if they are even aware there is more Filmation Batman material out there...

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member

No, they weren't confused. They were simply reminding us all that to get more Filmation stuff, the DVDs that are newly on the market right now needs to sell well.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
I can't believe no further plans for Alice or Welcome Back, Kotter. And still nothing concrete about Mama's Family. I have VERY few Warner releases on my shelf and that's the way it's gonna stay for now. They have nothing out or coming out that I am remotely interested in.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Wasn't able to make the chat last night, but I can't believe nobody asked about the botched Tom and Jerry vol. 3 debacle.

I understand that it's a business and not a charity, but I do think not releasing the last set of a show to complete the series is a bit silly. Even if they have to take a loss on releasing it, I would think it would be better in the long run to just go through with it. If customers think that you are a studio that will abandon a series, especially when it's so close to being complete, then they will be less willing to buy into another series.

Wezzo

Second Unit
Stayed up until 4am local time to take part in the chat.. fun, but I was tired this morning

I thought it was a good chat. A few too many vague cases of "we're looking at it", perhaps, and the occasional outright disappointment, but some great news too - optimism about Fresh Prince, hints at Whose Line?, news on Night Court and Knots Landing, confirmation of Everwood and Moonlight.. plenty of good stuff.

Tony S

Stunt Coordinator
I just read the chat. Last year they complained about too many questions about everwood. (I think there were 3). But in this chat i counted at least 3 or 4 question each about Animaniacs and Looney Tunes. :D

Not that LT & Animaniacs aren't more deserving, imo, mind you. ;)

Charles H

Screenwriter
I would love to upgrade my double-VHS tapes of WB miniseries (DRESS GREY, PEARL, and THE DELIBERATE STRANGER--Mark Harmon as Ted Bundy) to dvd.

Jeff-Wooten

Stunt Coordinator
Re: Animaniacs. I remember a question or two asked WHV "why" there wouldn't be a Vol. 4, but they deflected them the stock answer of "Vol. 4 not being released anytime soon" (or something like that). I'd still love to know why the fourth volume isn't coming anytime soon (if ever). Costs issues? Low sales? Rights issues (I know the "Beauty & the Beast" parody would be on Vol. 4, but would Disney put up a fight over it being included)? Has the reason ever been validated anywhere?

I'm also glad someone asked about "Yogi's First Christmas." At least a mention of it might put it on their radar. (Hey, if "Hey There, Yogi Bear!" can get a release this year, why not this one in '09?)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
For fans of their more modern TV and Animated shows the chat was at least decent. For fans of their older, B/W catalog it was nothing short of a major disappointment. And since I'm in that second group, I considered last night to be a real bummer.

Gary "I got knocked off the chat about halfway through, but I wasn't going to read anything that excited me regardless" O.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
last night was depressing...

Why they are still waiting to release Scarecrow and Mrs. King is beyond me..Night Court and Knots Landing were the only positive things i took out of that. I still can't believe a WB rep said they are going to judge if Falcon Crest is viable to release based on Knots sales ? are you kidding me ? can someone who knows about these shows be consulted. Falcon Crest followed Dallas when it aired. It makes more sense to base the viability of such on Dallas sales, not Knots Landing. But why even go there, just release Falcon Crest and let it be judged on it's own merits.

Curt*K

Auditioning
I found last nights WHV chat to be very disappointing. I am waiting for more Hanna Barbera/Filmation/Ruby-Spears animation to be released and some to be finished. After being at the chat last night it doesnt sound good at all for those releases. I have 90+ shows waiting to be released.

I would also like to think the people who asked about Spenser: For Hire and Scarecrow and Mrs. King, these are the only WHV live action tv shows that i am waiting on the release of. You would think that with Scarecrow being so high on TSOD that they would release it. IMHO

CatherineC

Auditioning
Thanks for asking about Scarecrow & Mrs. King, even if it wasn't the news I wanted. Doesn't Kate Jackson have partial ownership of the show? I'm guessing she's the issue in getting it released, but that's just a guess.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I wish someone had asked about the final 8 episodes of Scooby Doo from '77. I'd really like to have those so I can close out my 70s Scooby Doo collection. I know there are still the '79 episodes with Scrappy, but I'm not interested in those.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Look at it this way> Night Court, Knot's Landing and Everwood (seasons 2 for all) were possibly the most contentious, longed-for and talked-about "missing" dvd sets of all. And...WB confirmed that they are now coming. Why's everyone still so upset?

TV_Fan

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris H
It's all the same. They still say "they're considering" or "evalaluating" certain shows like Alice, further seasons of Growing Pains, etc. Right now WB is my least favorite studio for TV DVD releases. I would really like to know what's holding up Eight Is Enough? Doubtful it's music, maybe poor condition of masters? So no more Welcome Back Kotter or Drew Carey in the foreseeable future. I'm glad most of my favorite shows yet to be released are not WB.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks