What's new

HTF REVIEW: "Thirteen Ghosts" (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
[Deleted by author because it didn't sound the way I intended it]

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Bob,

If you are going to quote, don't insult

me by listing things I never said.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I'm with you on this one Ron! My love for cheesy horror flicks is well-documented, but even "I" HATED this movie.
It's a shame that some clever-sounding extras are forced to share disc space with this loud and irritating garbage heap.
Not only does the movie make no sense...
Not only is the film repetitive, grating and predictable...
But whose idea was it to cast Matthew Lillard and Shannon Elizabeth in the same film??? Isn't there some kind of "moron threshold" that a cast can withstand?
Blah...this post is probably longer than the 13 Ghosts screenplay was... :)

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
I fall in the category of people who think Matthew Lillard is hilarious... and I really enjoyed this movie. Sure, Shannon Elizabeth was useless in this (because there was no nudity... SNOOGANS!), but overall it was a fun ride. Good set design, some decent creature effects, and a damn nice sound mix. But hey, I'm easy to please...

Tony_Faville

Supporting Actor
What can I say...I bought it and will enjoy it. For me, a movie doesn't have to be subtitled or so obscure it gets nominated for an Oscar to enjoy.
The cheesier the horror, the bloodier the gore, the happier I am.
Thanks for the review Ron.....still gonna enjoy it. ;)

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
I love cheesy horror. Hey, I grew up in the 80's and rushed to every dang Friday the 13th and Freddy that plopped into the local googalplex. With DVD, now I can send the wife to pick up the cheese and I can go get the latest "classic" release, reputation intact! :D BYW, I enjoyed 13 GHOSTS. It's what I call a perfect "at home" movie, an offshoot of the old time drive-in experience. You can talk, cover your eyes, and laugh at the cheese and not have some kid bang the back of your seat every 2 minutes.

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
Sorry, Ron, I should have put in a happy face. This posting was not intended as an insult, rather, as an encouragement. Those disclaimers really aren't necessary. Your opinion is as good as anybody's. :emoji_thumbsup:
I guess I was too tired late last night when I posted this and I didn't give it the proper emphasis. My apologies. I'm going to delete the message.

David Ruiz

Second Unit
I tried to cancel my order as soon as I heard that everyone hated it, but it was too late, it was already shipped out. Anyway, it arrived today, and I got around to watching it in the afternoon. Since I had very low expectations (because everyone in here) I was very pleasently surprised. I actually enjoyed myself very much. Sure, it's cheesy, but hey, it's a horror movie...what can you expect???

Anyway, I have a question about it, but it contains a spoiler...so I'll put it in black:

Was the owner of the house (I forgot his name) really dead, or was he just pretending? Most people saw him without using the glasses.

Jenna

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeanette Howard
Guilty. I enjoyed this DVD.

Cheesy? You bet!

Scared? Yep, hid right under the blanket.

It's "crap" like this that makes watching scary movies fun...although, I would have enjoyed it more if Matthew Lillard were crushed by one of those junkyard cars in the first few minute. I hate that guy.

Jon Sheedy

Stunt Coordinator
My wife is a huge horror fan and we end up either renting or buying almost everything in the genre that is released on DVD...this is why I saw 13 Ghosts, a film I had no interest in and would have steered far clear of otherwise.

I gotta say, I was expecting to hate this film, thought it would be another cookie cutter effort where I would spend more time staring at the clock on the wall than at what was on the screen. I have grown to dread watching most of the dreck that passes for horror these days....BUT.....13 Ghosts suprised the hell out of me! It was unusual, very entertaining, pretty damn scary in places (I agree the Jackal scenes are pretty wicked!) and a total blast to experience! The 5.1 mix and impressive art direction make the experience worth the price of admission.

I guess what I liked the most about 13 Ghosts was that is was DIFFERENT (again mostly the art direction) and that goes a long way with me these days.

Anywayzzzz...as others have stated in this thread, this was not the kind of film that I'd usually enjoy but I found myself thouroughly enjoying this one. If you're on the fence about 13 Ghosts give it a rent at least...it may very well suprise you.

Dan M

Second Unit
David,

The answere to your question is:No. Cyras (F. Murray Abraham) was not a ghost. It was all a plot to draw the family into the house in order to make the final sacrifice for love. In other words: he needed a 13th Ghost in order to make his experiment complete.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
In regard to the movie comments above:

You know, that's what I thought as well, but in retrospect, I think he WAS a ghost. During the commentary, they mention this, though they don't explain why the others could see him without glasses. Maybe I misunderstood the commentary, but again, I got the distinct impression he was dead. After all, F. Murray Abraham still wore the makeup to indicate his fatal wound (which I didn't notice when I watched the movie the first time).

So how come everyone could see him without the glasses? Because it was a cheesy movie riddled with plot holes, that's how...

Dan M

Second Unit
That's interesting Colin. I haven't listened to the commentary. It makes more sense that he is not a ghost. If I recall, doesn't he get killed at the very end?

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Oh, I agree that the movie certainly makes it LOOK like he's not a ghost. I definitely thought that was the case when I watched it. Had they not said what they said in the commentary, I'd have never felt differently. Might be interesting to examine it again to see if there are any "clues". Apparently Abraham has the makeup for his wound, which would sure indicate he's a ghost - otherwise he'd look pretty dumb, not washing his throat for all that time!:D
Actually, his wound itself should indicate that he really died. I mean, how would he have found the time to fake it during that opening scene? Ultimately, I think he WAS a ghost, but chalk this one up to VERY sloppy filmmaking. And don't forget - some folks could see the wife/mother without glasses as well. Basically, the rules worked when they suited the filmmakers. Still, a surprisingly enjoyable flick, despite its many flaws...

Todd_Brown

Second Unit
I bought this without reading the review, sight unseen. My wife and I watched tonight and really enjoyed it. This is a popcorn, fun, film all the way. I am a big fan of the original (even have the original movie poster hanging in my home theater), and while I liked the original better (more quirky, and scared the crap out of me when I was a kid), this was a fun movie.
Todd :emoji_thumbsup:

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
I liked this movie. Not the best horror film, but some of the ghosts were pretty freaky. I thought the production was very well done too. Lots of sytle, which I enjoy.
:emoji_thumbsup:

Robyn Young

Stunt Coordinator
Too bad you didn't like this one.

I personally really enjoyed it. As others have said, different strokes, different folks.

I also really disliked moulin rouge, so I'm starting to see a pattern.

Frank Doorhof

Stunt Coordinator
I really loved it, to a point that I truly believe this is one of the best rollercoaster rides I had for a long time.

On the other hand I also loved House on Haunted Hill (although I hated the ending).

Greetings from Holland,

Frank

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
Yep...I liked it too.

My wife and I had my brother and his wife along with a couple of friends on Saturday night. We had an enchilada feast and headed to the HT.

Overwhelmingly, the choice was "13 Ghosts" to watch. The ladies freaked out a bit and the sounds were incredible. The video was equally good...

The plot....well if you could call it that, popcorn type flick...but one of the better horror flicks in the last couple of years.

Jeremy

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
Count me in to, My wife and I loved this film, we rented first and I just went out and bought it. The sound alone is worth the purchase!

R~

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks