What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

He hates their existence. Last I'd heard, he'd said he hasn't watched them and [tantrum] will never, never, never, never, never, watch them [/tantrum].

Patrick Soucy

Second Unit
Christopher Tolkien is very idiot...

He gived a valable reason for that? LOTR is the creation of his father, not from him... Tha fans probably hate him very hard for such stupid thinking... :thumbsdown:

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Hey, it's half-assed misinformed posts time! Woo! :rolleyes

All Christopher Tolkien EVER said about the films is that he thinks his father's works are unfilmable and that he doesn't want to have anything to do with PJ's films, as a supporter or as a detractor. He's never seen them, so he has no opinion on the flicks themselves.

The only people being childish are the fanboys who think they're owed the Tolkien family's blessing, or for them to sell the rights to the rest of JRRT's legendarium.

For CT's actual words, go here (Some scrolling required)

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Tony, as Chris said, the prophecy is referred to in the Silmarillian. In the film, Gandalf doesn`t actually say `prophecy`, but he does say:

And he was killed by no living man. Very cool.

Richard, as far as the Yabba Dabba Doo thing. What can I say? I thought the whole thing was cool as heck and a really fun moment. Some fool`s attempt at getting a cheap laugh and getting attention in the theater (from an OBVIOUS joke), won`t change that for me.

Karl, I can`t tell you what you really heard in the theater because I wasn`t with you. But I think you have to be open to the possibility that for whatever reason you just heard/remembered wrong. The human mind is notorious for `filling in the blanks` in a variety of ways, and memory (anyone`s memory) is not always reliable.

Still, I know that there were some prints in which the Elven lines stated by Elrond and Aragorn after he is given Anduril did not have the translated subtitles, and other prints did have the subtitles (as on the DVD). So while it seems very unlikely that there were two different versions of Eowyn/Witch King scene, I couldn`t say there is no chance you heard what you think you heard. But I think it is most likely that your mind just created that line for you.

On the DVD, there isn`t even a `cut` where this line could have been removed. She says, I am no man, pulls back her sword, and yells as she stabs at him all in one take with no cuts between the word `man` and her yell. So unless it is a completely different take, I dont even see where this line could have been removed from. Unless you remember it being said after she stabbed him (or while her sword was in his face)?

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Im not sure if this has been covered yet, as I haven't read through the thread yet, but has anybody experienced a high pitched noise/tone (like the noise you hear when a Television is switched on) when there is speech in some quieter parts?

I noticed this in a particular section, where when (i forget who, but IIRC it was Frodo) the character spoke, along with the dialogue there would be the high pitched tone.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
When I saw it in a theater, at the end, when frodo and same are on the rock, someone yelled "I love you, Sam!" BTW, this was the screenign Elijah Wood's family was at. This actually got mentioned in the newspaper, which I suppose is the ultimate goal of any theater hooligan.

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor
Does anybody remember how long after the release of the theatrical versions of FotR and TT they announced the Extended Editions?

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
It was like that in the cinema. There have been a few scenes in the trilogy with sound like that. I don't know why. The most notable example was in FOTR, where Gandalf is greeted by Saruman. Listen to the change in sound quality between Saruman's voiceover and actual on-screen dialogue. It's a dramatic drop in quality.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member

For both films they announced the Extended Editions at the same time they announced when the Theatrical Versions would be released.

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
It will be very interesting to see when will New Line announce a street date for the Extended Edition of The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King. My guess is probably the same as the first two EE releases: the middle of November, as in this case November 2004. This especially to give time for WETA Digital to complete the effects on the EE editions, any additional dialogue and music to be recorded, and time to finish the huge amount of material on the Appendices discs (which will very likely include material from the Oscar telecast and TheOneRing.net party that same night).

Allan^L

Stunt Coordinator
I saw a little info thing on my local news that said that the EE might not be finished in time for this year. Does anyone have any info on this?

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor

Old rumour. New Line has announced that it will be released "in time for the holidays" - they just haven't given a real date yet.

Eric_P

Grip
Got my copy of ROTK at Best Buy here in the Bay Area ealier this week. Tried to watch it last night, and at about half way through chapter 28 at 94:10 minutes into the movie, it started skipping an cutting out.. I think mine was a defective copy??? so I went to exchange it for a new one, and the new one is even worse than the second one at the same place!!

I'm thinkin the BB got a bad batch? Anyone else have problems at this part?

my DVD Player is the Pioneer DV-444. I also tried it only my computer DVD-ROM, and my PS2.. although not a severe as on the DVD player, it does pause and skip at the same point.

Tried to search this forum for any answers but couldn't find anything like this. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
"It was like that in the cinema. There have been a few scenes in the trilogy with sound like that. I don't know why."

Because the sound in the Gandalf-Pippin scene is location audio, while the preceding audio was ADR, recorded in post.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Ernest. I guessed that much. I was meaning (but didn't really expressed at all well) that I don't know why they decided to leave those particular lines un-ADRed, when there was such an obvious change in sound quality.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Does anyone know if there is a picture of the EE boxset out yet similar to FOTR and TTT in my signature pic?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoneman66
Recent bookmarks