What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: The Adventures of Indiana Jones (Highly Recommended) (1 Viewer)

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
Could you point out where you saw edge enhancement? I have watched all 3 now, and couldn't find any.....
Note that this is a minor issue... I don't want to make too big a deal about it. Overall, the picture is fabulous.

In Temple of Doom, chapter 9.

Here is a screenshot (detail, unedited):

It's more visible viewing just the Red Channel

The blue channel shows the blue chroma noise (blooming)

In Last Crusade, chapter 1.

Here is a screenshot (detail, unedited):

Here is the red channel

I had commented on the "dinner" scene from ToD, but viewing on a different display, I was unable to see what I had seen on first viewing. I have deleted the comment from my review. I'll attribute that particular problem to improper rendering from the display. With all the shiny baubles and deep reds in that scene, some displays may have issues which have nothing to do with edge enhancement.

Again, the picture on all of these films is outstanding - any edge enhancement is only visible under just the wrong, high contrast conditions. I'd be interested in comments from people who have a projector to view this on.

-Scott

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
From a BBC article (scroll down to Ask Almar);
Rumours are still abounding as to what will be included so let's clear some up. There will be no standalone deleted scenes. Yes, they do exist, but neither Steven Spielberg nor George Lucas wants them included as they feel the movies are perfect as they are.
So according to this article Lucas is in accord with Spielberg regarding omitting the deleted scenes. Just as evil, greedy and unfeeling towards the fans as ever. :p)

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
"Snakes! Why did it have to be snakes?"
"Asps! Very dangerous, you go first!"

Good review. Indy on dvd, at last, now only one much wanted mega-trilogy awaits release on our favorite format.

Looking forward to watching Raiders on DVD at the weekend, and Temple of Doom totally uncut for the very first time.:emoji_thumbsup:

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I have all the original 1980's Indiana Jones documentaries on tape, 2 for Raiders,and 1 each for Temple and Crusade, about 45mins each. Thats 3 hours of material they could have included on the extras disc. I remember one of the Raiders docs included a couple of deleted scenes, one showed Sallah distracting the German soldiers while Indy was looking for Marian. I'll check them again after I watch the 4th disc in the set.

Real Name
Charles de Lauzirika
I don't care what anyone says. I absolutely love "Temple of Doom." Remember Spielberg's famous sound bite from 1984? "It's not called Indiana Jones and the Temple of ROSES. The warning is CLEARLY marked on the box!"

I saw "Temple of Doom" at the very first midnight show at the Mann Chinese. Maureen Garrett of the old Star Wars Fan Club was handing out "Temple" T-shirts to everyone (I still have mine!) It was a carnival-like atmosphere. I've never been to a screening -- before or since -- that rivaled the sheer unbridled energy of the audience that night. It was as close to being on a rollercoaster without actually being on one. I remember the audience audibly gasping and catching their breaths for nearly a solid minute following the bug chamber scene.

No, it wasn't "Raiders." Not even close. But for being a mean, relentless, politically-incorrect, breathlessly-paced, ass-kicking adventure machine..."Temple of Doom" has very few equals, in my opinion.

I cannot wait to get this DVD set!

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I, too, liked Temple of Doom - better than Last Crusade. Though, Raiders is much better than both of them.

Matthew Anderson

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Anderson
Thanks Scott for another great review and for all the time and energy you put into your reviews. It makes my decisions a lot easier about buying certain dvds but this one was a no brainer for me. I have been waiting for this one to come out for quite some time. Thanks again and keep up the good work.:emoji_thumbsup:

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Temple of Doom isn't inferior because it's darker -- it's inferior because it's cheesier! The goofy plot strings together a series of set pieces that resemble slapstick or amusement park rides more than an actual adventure -- *that's* the problem.

I'm surprised that nobody mentioned The Empire Strikes Back as a sequel that was criticized for being darker than the original -- remember the outcry when some countries rated it 'R'? (I forget which ones, but at least one was in Scandinavia.)

The changed tone of Pig In The City absolutely shocked me -- in a good way. IMO It was the best film of 1998.

Kevin Crays

Agent
I don't care what anyone says. I absolutely love "Temple of Doom." Remember Spielberg's famous sound bite from 1984? "It's not called Indiana Jones and the Temple of ROSES. The warning is CLEARLY marked on the box!"
I haven't seen this movie in 20 years, but my recollection is that it just felt too unrealistic. Yes, I know the first one wasn't realistic, but jumping out of a plane upped the anti a bit too far for my taste.

That said, I probably could have forgiven that moment if not for Kate Capshaws constant annoying screaming.

It'll be interesting to see if I feel the same way 20 years down the road.

Regardless, I'm really looking forward to Raiders and the Last Crusade.

Kevin

R. Kay

Second Unit
I think there has always been negative reaction towards TOD because Spielberg himself didnt like it!

Seth--L

Screenwriter

My problem is the opposite: the film is too goofy, playing too hard for laughs everywhere. The opening scene is case and point.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
My problem is the opposite: the film is too goofy, playing too hard for laughs everywhere. The opening scene is case and point.
I am glad you pointed this out, because it helps make my point. I don't think people really dislike TOD because it is "darker"; it's more along the lines you mention.

Bill>Moore

Second Unit
Great review. Can't wait to pick this set up next week. I haven't watched any of them recently, so it will be quite a treat to get to see them again. TOD is not a favorite of mine, but it's not all that bad. I'll happily enjoy watching that one, too.

Neil_Duffy

Second Unit
It'a an amazing set, I can assure everyone.

The only disappoint was that I wanted more... more behind the scenes footage, deleted scenes. Still, I have Raiders on DVD and that's all that matters to me.

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
Hasn't BTTF II been called darker than the original?
Sure it has, and that's one reason why some didn't like it as well as the light hearted original. Of course I like them all, same as I do with Indy trilogy. I agree with others that if Kate Capshaw's constant screaming wasn't there, the darkness would've ruled. still, it was my favorite as a kid, but now Raiders is. Bring 'em all on though. I'm ready! Great review, btw.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks