What's new

HTF REVIEW: Star Wars - Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (1 Viewer)

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member

I believe this is done (if it's not just the limited resolution of todays digital cameras vs. our 35mm film references for clarity) to better match the effects shots.

I'm SHOCKED, only 20+ posts!

Thanks for the review.

Kain_C

Screenwriter
My first (and only!) prequel entry DVD! Can't wait for it. Especially can't wait for the deleted Dagobah scene.

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
Thanks for the review.

I look forward picking this up.

As for the deleted scene of Yoda, at first I thought it would be good to re-insert, but George is right on this one. He felt that the end of the movie should show the two kids and the father, rather than unrelated Yoda. That makes sense.

Also, I wish they stopped including game demos and included the other couple of web featurettes.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Obviously I'll be picking this one up. I always have a hard time posting in these discussion threads. It's either rampant praise or bitching :D...so I'll just say this, I can't wait until November 1.

...this DVD is the reason that I bought a projector.

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
Matt...I think that comment was rampant praise!!

...I agree with you on the projo...I think all movies are served better with a projector...

...I can't wait for the Sony SXRD 100 front projo to replace what I have right now. The RP sets are fabulous, I'm sure the front projo will be better. 1080p is almost here...

Mike

Dan_J_H.

Stunt Coordinator
Great review, thanks!

This will be the first DVD I will watch when my new basement (front projection) theater is completed. In fact, after reading the review, I'm going to work extra hard to complete the theater faster. I grew up with Star Wars and have always thought is was the coolest, most original movie series ever. Just look at all the awesome space ships, landscapes, citiscapes, creatures and some of the most incredible music ever composed for film! Thank you Mr. Lucas and Mr. Williams! You have thrilled me more than you could know over the years.

Dan

Mark Lucas

Second Unit
I'll pass on this like the other two prequels. I would buy all 3 in a boxset down the road though, especially if Ep. 1 has a new transfer.

Martin Jeeves

Supporting Actor
I have VERY mixed feelings about this film.

Overall I really liked it but it was FAR from flawless.

I made the mistake of reading the novelisation before seeing the film and I felt that Anakin's turn to the dark side was nowhere near as well done in the film as it was in the book. In the book, you sense Anakin's torture and inner turmoil through almost all of the (often bad) decisions he makes. He is a truly tortured person and a tragic soul. In the film his turn is too quick and sudden. It's just not convincing. I can't blame Hayden Christensen because I think he does the best he can with what he is given, but in the book you feel sorry for Anakin.

I mean... He is born into slavery, is seperated from his mother and friends (the only people he's ever known), he is prophecized as being The Chosen One and has everyone's expectation put on him, he suffers horrific nightmares which seem to come true, his mother (who he left behind) is tortured to death and dies in his arms, he loses his arm in combat to Count Dooku, he is seperated from his wife due to the Clone Wars, he fights fiercely and bravely for the goodies (so he thinks) and is NEVER given any credit for it (especially from the unloving Jedi), he again gets tortured by nightmares of losing he's loved one (perhaps only loved one), he is manipulated superbly by his mentor and only friend Palpatine, he is NEVER fully trusted by the Jedi which leads him to become alienated and bitter toward them, Palpatine uses this and his fear of Padme's death to manipulate him further, Anakin is well intentioned but he makes a terrible decision when Mace Windu faces Palpatine, starts to lose it BIG TIME and falls into Palpatine's trappings even more, then the poor guy has a phsychological breakdown, does some truly evil things (for the one person who seems to love him and trust him - Palps), and then gets ALL his limbs severed off and gets burned alive! That's GOTTA HURT!

I mean, has a character EVER gone through so much pain and tragedy and anguish in ANY film as much as this guy. Then whats left of his mangled, burned torso is placed in an iron-lung life support suit and is told that HE and HE ALONE is the cause of his loved ones' deaths. His name (Anakin Skywalker) becomes shunned and forgotten and he is Darth Vadar, another slave, this time to Palaptine and his Governor's. Born a slave to die a slave (only as a crispy fried half man half machine in a black life support suit).

Shit... he can't even use the funky lightning because he has no proper limbs! I feel sorry for him in book.

In the book, Anakin's fall and emotional collapse is so well done, yet in the film it is nowhere near as effecting. Especially when you consider what he goes through. Anyone else agree?

Also I felt the effects were TOO MUCH and a little distracting in their sheer overkill.

All in all, a good send-off for Star Wars but NOT great in my opinion. Still... I'll get the DVD for sure.

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor

Explains why I don't care enough about him in the film because his turn to the darkside is hastily done.
Anakin should've been the audience's representative, instead we are alienated, well I am.

Martin Jeeves

Supporting Actor

Yes. I agree. It's too rushed. It's like...

After the Palpatine / Mace Windu fight...
Anakin - "On No! What have I done!"
Palpatine - "Join me Anakin. Join the Dark Side!"
Anakin - "Hmmmmm. O.K. Go on then"

Too fast baby, too fast.

With a bit more time and thought I think the scene could have worked. It needed more tortured decision making and more personal anguish, but instead the scene was "weak". IMHO.

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor
He turned to the darkside when he slaughtered the Tusken Raiders, which in my opinion is a fantastic Star Wars scene.

Considering the Jedis are monk-like, Anakin is the maverick, he's suppose to be the identifiable character which the audience clings on to.

Martin Jeeves

Supporting Actor
So, when Mace Windu and Palpatine are fighting is Palpatine REALLY getting his ass smacked or is he pretending so he can lure Anakin? What ya think?

Rhoq

Supporting Actor
Honestly, I thought it was all show. Palpatine purposely let Mace have the upper hand in the fight, knowing Anakin was on the way - this way all Anakin would see is Mace nearly killing a "defenseless" older man and force Anakin to lose his respect for Windu.

At least, that's my interpretation of the scene.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
I'm getting it. I was entertained enough and know my HT will get a nice workout on November 1.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks