What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

DVD Review HTF Review: Schindler's List (Highly Recommended!) (1 Viewer)

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
It's always possible but it's ridiculous to start speculating on re-releases 8 days before the first release, unless of course somebody involved has hinted at it.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I've never seen any footage from the film at all, and I know only very little about it. Still, both as a Speilberg fan and a fan of exellent cinema in general, I have decided to buy this blind. I am greatly looking forward to seeing it. From what I have read about it, it promises me a new, emotional experience that will be both moving and educationally revealing, as well as taking me to another level in my recent efforts to branch out into different kinds of cinema.

As far as the DVD, it's a real shame. I dislike flippers, and while the fact that it is a flipper won't stop me from getting it, I'dve much rather seen it split accross two single-sided discs (a la The Lord of the Rings Extended Editions) than on one flipper.

Also, I know that Speilberg doesn't like to do commentaries, and while I would love to hear one from him on any movie, that's his choice and I respect it. I've come to usually not mind the lack of commentaries on his releases, especially since the doccumentaries are so exellent.

But the utter and complete lack of any making of material on this film at all is very disappointing. Voices From the List is probably a great doccumentary, and something like it would be nessesary to fill out the defenative release of a film of this nature. But the making of the film is important, too. It would be especially interesting to hear retrospectives from the actors and Speilberg, and to hear what they did to recreate the story with such accuracy as they supposedly have done with the movie. Why couldn't it have been a two-or-three-disc special edition with the movie, Voices, etc., and also some making of material?

Ah well, I'll still get it. Thanks a lot for the review.

Dean Arizona

Agent
I'm surprised to see that there is no discussion about the the symbolic meaning of the little girl in the red coat. There isn't a more significant visual in the movie. The coat supposed to be the most viberant color in the movie for a particular reason. Any takers?

Peter Svensson

Second Unit

According to Spielberg the girl that no one sees is a symbol for the ignorance of the rest of the world to what was going on in Nazi-Europe at that time. Death camps and other horrible things was right in front of everybody´s eyes, but no one saw it.

Jough

Stunt Coordinator
The catalog that I order from, Pacific One-Stop (for non loss-leader titles) lists five different versions of Schindler's List:

WS 1 disc
WS 2 disc
FF 1 disc
FF 2 disc
BOX 2 disc

Maybe they're putting out both a one disc flipper AND a two disc version?

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
What's odd is Bracke says nothing about how the movie is spread on the disc(s), or where the supplements are at exactly.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
We also don't know if he got a final retail version for review. I know the review was just published, but he may have had an advanced copy a while back and was forced to hold off his review until now (most anticipated titles have a moratorium on reviews until a certain date before street date). If he had just got a review copy then it would stand to reason that he got a retail version, but if he got it a few weeks (or longer) back then he may have had a check disc version for review.

Hopefully he'll clarify which type of review disc he received.

Jonathan Dagmar

Supporting Actor
Too bad I can't buy this because of the obnoxious flipper disc. This is an important movie, but I have a DVD chnager specofically to avoide having to get up and fumble around in the dark to swtich discs. Flippers rob me of this convenience, and they look ugly to boot.

Shaz_M

Auditioning
The thing with Spielberg is that he makes the most
amazing films such as A.I, Schindler's List....

...but he lets himself down producing DVDs below par!

The transfer of the movie A.I to DVD was nothing short
of nasty and the fact that this current talked about
DVD is a flipper really is the limit.

If only this disc wasnt a flipper, now there doesn't seem
to be much point in buying the Gift Set version, :frowning:
Why payout so much money for a CD,jumbo book and a flipper.

I'll wait till it goes cheap on ebay... then wait a little
while longer for the Ultra Special Edition.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

Actually, it represents the look of the film very well. I saw it in the theater...and the grain, color, and overall detail is pretty similar.

The transfer was pretty stunning, too... no edge enhancement.

Shaz_M

Auditioning

i dont know...

im just saying if there was a final definitive release
that was not a flipper and was more focused towards
the movie and not things like senitype,certificate of
authenticity, plexiglass case etc etc. Then I would buy it!

That reminds me ... I better sell my original
r1 Saving Private Ryan..and buy the r2 as it has bonus
features! or shall I wait till there is another ultra
super-douper re-release on region 1?
:frowning:

PaulEB

Stunt Coordinator

Is there ever a final definitive release for any film? Not when there is money to be made! The new version of Saving Private Ryan that will be released is proof of that.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, it's also "proof" that out of 19 Spielberg films on DVD, "Saving Private Ryan" is the only one that's recieved an "upgrade" somewhere down the line.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, it's also "proof" that out of 19 Spielberg films on DVD, "Saving Private Ryan" is the only one that's recieved an "upgrade" somewhere down the line.

PaulEB

Stunt Coordinator
He has to start somewhere. I not just refering to Spielberg either. There have been plenty of other reissues.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Being a flipper doesnt bother me at all.

However I dont think DTS is necessary for a title like this - where its a diaolgue driven film. But its a SS film so we knew DTS would be included.

Douglas Bailey

Second Unit
Real Name
Douglas Bailey

So you can't buy it because it'll be mildly inconvenient? I guess The Dead Kennedys were right: "Give me convenience or give me death!" :)

I'll admit I'm not crazy about the film being broken in the middle: as with Godfather Part II and Lawrence of Arabia and the Lord of the Rings EEs, I wish there was a way for me to watch the film on DVD as an uninterrupted experience. But I accept that it needs to be so broken for quality purposes, and having accepted that, I don't give a damn whether it's a flipper or a two-disc set.

I'm interested to see that DVDFile's review states that "Universal Studios Home Video is releasing... anamorphic widescreen and full screen versions [each available in either digipak or traditional keepcase packaging]..." Amazon seems to be selling the keepcase version: DVD Empire the digipak (at least, that's how I read "Custom Case"). I might end up cancelling my DVD Empire pre-order and shopping elsewhere: given the choice, I'd much rather have a keepcase than a digipak.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoneman66
Recent bookmarks