What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: King Kong - Two Disc Collector's Edition (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED). (1 Viewer)

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I have seen parts of this movie on television, but this is the first time I sat down and watched the whole movie from beginning to end and I have got to say, "WOW!" I enjoyed the slow build up to the reveal of Skull Island and I was so wrapped up in the story, I didn't really notice the effects work. This is a great presentation of this movie and I am so glad that Warner's took the time to get the best version ready for home video.

The RKO documentary was extraordinary and very informative. Glad to see Mr. Jackson is such a dedicated fan.

One of the best sets I have purchased all year. Thank's WB.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I had said:
I just found my receipt and the price is indeed $33.99, but the packaging says $37.99.....at least their computers knew the right price.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell

When Best Buy has an item on sale (especially sales during a disc's first week of release), they generally leave the standard price sticker on the package.

DJ

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
As much as I love this fantastic release, I will note that I had one minor gripe about it: the absolutely absurd animated menu for disc 1. C'mon...Kong deserves better than that.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
If anyone wants to send me their Best Buy exclusive poster cards, I'll send a DVD in exchange... either Kids In The Hall or Willard.

Any takers?

Matt Leigh

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, what an amazing movie for the time. FX left right and center when Kong finally shows up. Mattes and composition, stop motion, etc all in 1933! I can see why the film is hailed as a triumph for most FX artists and Directors. I can also see why it was such a huge hit and became a classic just because of all of the content and the roller coaster ride that essentially begins at the 45 minute mark.

I would really like to see a fully artificial digitally restored version of the film though. I do very much appreciate what they did to bring it to the level we have now though and I can't stress that enough.

Mike.P

Second Unit
What a blast, and the documentary on disc 2 (I've watched about 1 1/2 hours of it) is absolutely grand. I just loved learning about all of the effects shots, and seeing the armatures (some of the dinosaurs still covered in rotting rubber) was a real blast.

Easily my favorite DVD this year.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I love how they used cotton wool for the musculature and covered that with rubber/latex....real artistry went into stop motion puppets for years & years, it's beginning to become a lost art form & this is why I love how Peter Jackson insists on detailed maquettes of any CG creature they intend on creating...not only does it harken back to the "good old days" but the tangible artistry shows through.

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
Great release. Long anticipated and the wait seems to have been worth it. The quality and quantity of the extras is surely better for the wait. I sprang for the CE at Costco when I found out it was under $30 so I haven't yet looked at SoK and MJY. It looks to be a treat after learning of the history of this set, very different from the rash of sequel mania that has invaded Hollywood of late. At first I was a bit disappointed with the PQ but after seeing it now 3 times I see how impressive it is for a 72 year old film -- especially since the original negatives have long been lost. This film deserves the status of Classic for so many reasons. The Marian Cooper story is so enlightening to the reason for KK's success. It shows a real entrepeneurial spirit that was pervasive at RKO to allow such a high risk venture to be green-lighted, a true testiment to Cooper's salesmanship, artistry and business sense.

Joel

Darrell S.

Stunt Coordinator
The MIGHTY JOE YOUNG documentaries and commentary are excellent. And MIGHTY JOE YOUNG looks pristine. I had forgotten how wonderful this movie is. The nightclub scene is outstanding action! Terry Moore is a lot of fun on the commentary and Ray Harrhausen adds a lot of interesting info because he actually worked on this one. Too bad the 2-color Technicolor sequence of the orphanage fire has been lost. How did that happen? Anyone see it or know what it looked like? The amber tint is really nice, though.

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
2-color Technicolor was abandoned in the mid-1930s....

Would the Technicolor company have revived this outdated and garish process just for this film?

I wonder if anyone can clarify.....

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Roger:

I don't think they are referring to the old two-color Technicolor system (ala Doctor X), but rather that Technicolor labs did apply two colors - red & orange - via the IB process to the flames during the otherwise black & white orphanage sequence for the initial release prints. Jack Theakston can chime in here with more info.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Over at another board there seems to be some controversy going on about Warner digitally removing some wires in one scene. Kinda like people were wanting Paramount to do with WAR OF THE WORLDS. HERE is the thread in question, which shows a couple screenshots.

Any opinions on this? At first I thought the better transfer of the DVD just "covered up" the wires but it appears that might not be the case.

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor

Sorry for the error, Costco actually sold the CE collection for under $25 (making the per title cost come to a miserly $8.33 each).

Joel

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Someone at the linked site said something very true regarding the missing rods:

.....it doesn't matter to me one way or the other but it does seem odd that they wouldn't touch the rest.

As far as I am concerned the sky is indeed not falling as this is a spectacular DVD...IMO.

Darrell S.

Stunt Coordinator
There are supports all through this and the MIGHTY JOE YOUNG DVD. They are all still in. Sometimes you cannot see them if you still frame forwards, but when you still frame backwards they appear. There is also a huge support on KONG in the shot before he rips Fay Wray's clothes off.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
There are numerous frames that show the supports in various scenes. They are clearly visible in the LD versions..."King Kong/Son of Kong and King Kong 60th Anniv. from Turner."

There's a site that shows them very clearly, but I can't find it.

Another thread stated that Warner new of those frames and was not going to remove them or anything from the film...I guess they did!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks