What's new

Hardware Review HTF REVIEW: Harmony 880 Remote (1 Viewer)

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
Found this thread again so I could post this.

How can I go about replacing my Cradle? I think I need to, I have to fool with it WAY too much to get it to charge. I still love this remote though. i recall a few people said they replaced thiers but I forget how. How can I contact Logitech... maybe thru email?

What kind of fee charge can I expect to do this?

Thanks!

Edit: Oh and one more thing, when you make a configuation is it saved on the website or locally on your computer? I recently got a new computer and today I hooked up my Harmony to it and the website was trying to get me to configure my remote like it was new. How can I get the website to know my remote already has my devices all set up already?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
just got my 880 a few days ago from the sale posted in bargains last month.
less the $110.00

the more i foll around with it the more i like it.
took me a few days but i figured out how to assign activities for watching the tv and the hd dvd.

its a good start.
now my wife can actually just hit one or 2 buttons to get tv or dvd.

Rick Westfall

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry if this has been answered, but I'm in the process of setting up my HT room and am wondering if the harmony remote also controls lighting? I would love to press one button and everything turns on while the lights dim.

Thanks
Rick

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Adam,

Sorry it took so long to get back to you on this. My interests
as of late have been drawn to other areas of the forum.

If you have not done so already, contact Logitech Customer
Support. I wrote them an email from an address I found on
their site.

They sent me a new cradle at absolutely NO CHARGE and the
remote now fits nice and snug inside. No more charge problems.

Steve_Pannell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Thought I'd shake the dust off this old thread to ask a few questions:

I'm thinking about getting either the 880 or 890 remote but there are a couple things I'd like to know first.

I realize these remotes are "activity-based" but can it do something simple like turn on the TV? I know you'd set up a button that says "watch TV" but I asked this question to lead up to my second question:

If I'm just watching TV (nothing on but the TV) and I want to watch a DVD, when I select "watch DVD" on the remote will the TV go off?

I know this is an elementary question but I had to start somewhere.

Thanks.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Each "activity" can be set up with as many or as few devices as needed or desired. So if "Watch TV" only requires you to turn on the TV, that's what it'll do.

After selecting an activity, the remote remembers the present status of each device, so when you change to another activity, it only performs the required steps to set up that activity. So if you were in "Watch TV" activity and switched to "Watch DVD", it would remember the TV is already on and just turn on the DVD and perform any input switching required.

Please note this action is all seamless to the user. You don't have to worry about it, the remote does everything by itself. If it ever screws up (usually due to blocking the IR emitter), there is a step by step help screen to get you back to the proper status. Also, for each activity, there are "Device" modes that let you utilize the rarer functions on your specific devices. The good thing is you really don't have to program everything step by step. You just answer a few questions about each activity and the remote programs itself. If you wish to customize, the button assignments for both activities and devices are infinitely customizable.

My suggestion is to sign up for a demo at the Harmony site. It will walk you through an initial setup using your A/V components. Setup is kind of hard to describe, but it is easy to understand once you experience it.

Steve_Pannell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Thanks for the reply. That tells me exactly what I want to know.

Lesser remotes that I have used before had programmable macros but they were pretty rudimentary.

Now I've got to get me one! :)

Steve_Pannell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
I got my 880 yesterday and have set everything up. So far, I'm very impressed. Wish I'd bought one a long time ago.

Everything is working the way it's supposed to. I had to do a little tweaking to get everything just right but it was no big deal. I've still got to program several buttons for each specific component when I figure out which functions I need and which button I want to assign them to.

Looks like I'm going to enjoy this remote a lot.

Kate Logitech

Auditioning
Real Name
Kate
Logitech Harmony recently made changes to our customer service policy and we wanted to make sure that you have the most up-to-date information for your readers. You may want to update your Web site to reflect these changes.

Historically we have encouraged our customers to contact us by telephone when they have questions. As more and more people choose Logitech Harmony, however, we have developed more efficient ways to support our valued customers.

Beginning December 1, new Harmony customers have free, unlimited access to phone support for the first 60 days after they’ve created an account to set up their Harmony remote. (With the purchase of each additional remote, Harmony customers will have 60 days of additional phone support from the date of purchase.)

Those who’ve had an account for their Harmony remote longer than 60 days will continue to have access to online help, the forums and responses through e-mail submission in the Harmony software, but not phone support.

To save time and provide clear answers to a whole range of questions, we’ve created an active community forum, bringing together Logitech employees and Harmony users to answer questions publicly so that everyone can benefit from the answers. The forums have already resolved hundreds of troubleshooting questions.

We’ve also continued to build our online help, with user manuals and FAQs that allow people to find the answers to their how-to questions with a quick search – without having to wait on hold. And they’re all easily accessible through Harmony software.

If you have questions about our customer service policy, join the discussion on our online community forum through your Harmony software or at http://www.logitech.com/support.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks