What's new

Hardware Review HTF REVIEW: Harmony 880 Remote (2 Viewers)

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
Hey all

Just a followup. I got this yesterday morning. (Ordered Friday morning via Ebay store, got it in almost exactly 24 hours.)

i LOVE this thing, This is the remote I have always wanted. Back in the Day I use to want a Pronto, but I am glad this now exists. The remote feels great, looks great, and of course works great.

I have no worries about it not controlling any of my devices because for all of it it gave me WAY MORE commands than they actually have. I don't know why it did that, but I simply deleted the extra commands. I have the pages for each device perfectly set to my liking. I figure now that I have my first DVR and WS TV with HD, this remote was needed.

Only a few minor things. I am probably mistaken, but I could of sworn I read you could do more than 16 favorite channels with logos. I thought I read somewhere you could do 8 pages. Was I mistaken?

The web setup mentions something about the TV listings but I have no idea how to access this feature... or if it's even working... on my remote.

No complaints though. It's wonderful. Last remote I will need for a long long long time to be sure!

Robert Lovejoy

Stunt Coordinator
I just picked up an 880. It didn't take long to fully charge, and the web setup had it running just like that. I've already modified its default setting to add the "stretch" control for the PVR (SA 8300HD) to the main activity window (else it was on page 4 of the PVR menu!) I'm sure I'll be doing plenty of tweaks in the next few days, but by and large, this thing woks great!

Thanks Ron for the review - that was the clincher for me!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I can still say that after months of use, this is
the best remote I ever used! I love the fact that
if a particular component fails to turn on or off,
the HELKP button quickly remedies the situation.

Quick story....

I think I mentioned that there were problems
with the design of the charger base and how the
remote did not sit firmly in it.

Well, Logitech is gladly replacing these bases
free of charge for anyone who writes and explains
the problem they are having. Mine came within days
of writing their Customer Support.

Great company to work with.

Robert Lovejoy

Stunt Coordinator
Based on Ron's review, I picked one up yesterday. I'm not at all disappointed - this is a great remote! Also, it appears Logitech has fixed the docking station problem, as my remote easily latches on to the power in the cradle.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Adam,

You would not be able to tell the difference
between the old and new.

What you do notice is that the Harmony sits
more comfortably (tight) in the modified base
with none of the shifting that caused the remote
to lose it contacts and thus its charge capability.

If you bought one of these remotes as early
as the Fall of last year and are having problems
with it not sitting in the cradle properly -- by
all means contact Logitech. They have been very
good about taking care of their customers.

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
This may seem like an odd question, but is there any way to tell if you have a good base or not?

I got my 880 not even 2 months ago, but it was bought online (new) so who knows the manufactur time. Far as I can tell, and I was aware of it from the reviews, it seems to charge fine. If I just kind of drop it into the base I hear the beep and I know it's charging. Sometimes I will have to tap it down with my finger but nothing at all troublesome. I would guess I probably have one that's fine.

Sound like that's the case to you?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The problem I found with the original
cradle was identical to other problems
being reported on the Remote Control forum.

The remote had too much play in the cradle.

In other words, you would plop it in and
in most cases it would not go into charge
mode or you would have to wiggle it till it
fell into place.

When I put the remore in its cradle I always
press the GLOW button at the same time to
turn off and reserve the LCD power. With the
old cradle, doing this was not always a smooth
manuever as the LCD light didn't always go off
as it wasn't situated in the cradle correctly.

Logitech realizes that there was a faulty
design with the initial batch and they are
doing an admirable job replacing these cradles
at their cost.

I love this remote, and I still admire the
fact that I love it so much coming off of owning
a Pronto all these years. The Harmony is just
as functional but far easier to program and use.

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
I love how "Future proof" it is... at least to me. As if the constantly updated web setup wasn't enough, it can also learn other remotes. I don't buy components very often... in fact it will most likely be years before I get anything new so this remote can theoretically last me indefinately.

In other news, I think my charger is fine. It works with very minimul placing/fiddling. Usually none at all.

Robert Lovejoy

Stunt Coordinator
I finally got some time to really tweak the 880 tonight. I have a Pioneer 1014, and when I looked at the device menu, I saw a _lot_ of commands for features I didn't have, such as a PHONO input. After a while I realized it didn't matter a great deal, as I don't have to push that key. I am wondering, though, if there is a way to clean up and reorder device menus. I wouldn't mind removing useless controls, or organizing the eleven pages of controls more efficiently. I haven't found this option on the website, just a means of adjusting activity softkeys.

Another quirk I noticed - I added control of audio features to my Watch DVD activity. I added "Standard" to switch between the various DD/DTS modes, and "THX". Now I note that these controls show up in my PVR and VCR activity menus as well. If I take them out of the PVR activity, they go away in all activities. Again, not a big deal.

Overall, it's pretty well set up now and running fine. It still charges robustly when placed in the crate. I'm a pretty happy camper right now.

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
Robert,

I did this about two months ago so my details might be vague but you can clean up and reorder the commands the remote puts on the screen pages.

If you can find your way into the editing of each activity as well as invidual device, you will eventually come to the page(s) that show every command the remote is set up to do. The top portion of the setup screen is for the hard buttons, and the bottom half is for the 8 soft buttons on the LCD screen. Basically just erase the text for the commands you dont want, and simply reorganize the ones you want, and on what page. Each page shows 8 commands, so just count down as you do it, to know where each command will end up. I took a few hours on mine, deleted things that didn't even apply to my items, and putting the commands on the pages I liked based on how often, or not often, I used them.

Hope this helps a bit.

Robert Lovejoy

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Adam, I'll look harder. I found a screen like the one you mentioned, but it was for an activity, not a device. I'll keep looking!

Jimi C

Screenwriter
I have a question about the 880. I have a motorized draper projector screen which to be properly aligned with my projector has to be stopped at a specific point, in other words, i want to stop it before it goes all the way down. Is it possible to set up a macro for this? Timing is obviously the key here. With the remote that came with the screen i have to press down, then stop when It is properly aligned.

So, again, Is it possible to set up a macro with a delay between actions?

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
I just bought a Harmony 880 today. How long does the initial charge take? I've skimmed through this thread but haven't seen a definitive answer to this. I've had it sitting on the cradle for about 5 hours now it when I pick it up it does nothing. I can use it while on the cradle however. I hear 2 beeps when it I put it on the cradle. I'm wondering if the battery is defective.

Robert Lovejoy

Stunt Coordinator
Mine only took five hours to fully charge. Perhaps you should reinsert the battery, making certain that it's making contact.

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
I checked a thread over at AVS on the subject. Turns out the battery wasn't making contact. I had to put a couple pieces of paper in it to make the battery make contact. Not what I would expect from a $200 device. Oh well, it all works now.

Wilson Ortiz

Auditioning
Hi Guys,

I'm interesting in getting the Harmony 880, and was wondering if I will be able to control IR Dimmer Switches made by Lutron (Spacer System) I tried to get information from Logitech but to register on their website, I have to have the remote control which I have not order yet.

Thanks

tonyGar

Agent
Am I in trouble? I got a Harmony 880 but my equipment is in another room, just adjacent to my HT room. The walls are up...what should I do?

Is the 880 RF or have the ability to control equipment in another room? If so, how??

PLEASE HELP!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks