What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: ALIAS (TV series, Season One -- HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) (1 Viewer)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
set was a blind buy for me, but after watching the pilot last night, looks like it was a good choice.
a little hokey, silly, dopey, etc but for me at least, a hell of a lot more entertaining than the last few Bond movies.
i've had the Emma Peel and several Buffy sets hanging around unwatched for quite a while so i wasn't sure i should spring for any more tv material, but i'm glad i did.
can't comment on PQ cause i only have a 19" set at the moment, but i was startled by the quality of some of the surround noise coming out of just the tvs stereo speakers.
there is the sound of water dripping in the interegation cell that was remarkable in the way it was imaged way off to the side of the room.
i actually didn't know if it was in the room or the sound mix.
i guess that is more the speakers doing, but i'm blown away by the sound quality from this over 6 yr old tv.

Steeve Bergeron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steeve Bergeron
I'm hooked! I bought the set blindly, and I'm really enjoying it so far. I've watched the first 15 episodes already. I just cannot stop! I have to know what happens next. I love those little cliffhangers. Is the second season as good? I've never been a fan of Jennifer Garner, but that may change soon. She's pretty good in that series.

I don't really see any problem with the picture. FYI, I have a Sony 57" (Widescreen). The sound is nothing spectacular, but for a TV series I consider it to be good enough. Like David already said, don't expect anything great from the surrounds.

IS there a 'Play-All' Function on each of the dvds?

nick_rh

Stunt Coordinator
I am really enjoying the show otherwise, but the lack of subtitles seems to be either a poor stylistic choice on the part of the creators or an error in the DVD creation process.
No, it's on purpose--it's meant to disorient you (especially the opening scene). I think it works pretty well. And when the dialogue is important to the plot, it's always in English anyway.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Never been a fan of Jennifer? What's she done besides this and Daredevil? (and a few appearances on Felicity) :D

lol

Season 2 was a mixed bag in some opinions, but I'm sure it will play well on DVD. The entire ground will fall out on you when Season 2 goes on. Something important happens in almost every single episode. For some reason, it didn't grab me nearly as much as Season 1, but I still thought it was great TV. The season finale was breathtaking. After the release of Season 2, viewers who didn't watch can easily catch up with Season 3.

Just tape the first 6 or 7 episodes of the 3rd season on ABC, but don't watch them. When season 2 comes out, watch 'em, catch up with the first 6-7 on video, and then you can watch it weekly. :)

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor
I'm no DVD PQ expert and I have a mere 27" 1997 Sony TV but it seems to me that there's a large amount of compression artifacting in the picture. It's very noticable in all the scenes with Sydney and Vaughn in the abandoned building. Perhaps my TV isn't calibrated correctly but it's starting to annoy me. Any thoughts?

David Susilo

Screenwriter
How high is your contrast setting? On most TVs, if the contrast setting is higher than 35% of the entire spectrum, it's too high and will show artifacting. The same goes with sharpness control.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Kevin,

I did notice compression artifacts in a few dark scenes (though not all) and haven't seen too many episodes full-length (I skipped around for the review) so it's quite possible that some scenes do show some obvious artifacting that I failed to mention.

Other thoughts from those of you who've spend more time?

Jenna

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeanette Howard
I'm hooked! I bought the set blindly, and I'm really enjoying it so far.
Same here...in fact, I found it totally addictive, especially with the cliffhangers. HAD to watch the next show to get some "closure"...then HAD to watch the next, until finally I'm finished watching the entire 1st Season. Very, very stylish show.

Can't wait for Season 2 and hope it's widescreen as well. Have never caught it on TV, so I'll try to play catch up like someone suggested above.

:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
This has probably already been brought up here, but I really like the packaging for this set.
I am not a fan of these fold out sets like ST:TNG and Buffy. I like the keepcase, it makes it easier to get to each of the disks, I also like the slimcases used for Futurama and Family Guy....

BTW: I haven't watched any eps yet, but have seen both seasons as they aired and I can't wait for S3!

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor
Very, very stylish show.
Indeed. The thing that's so cool about it is that it knows exactly what it is from the very beginning. The very trademark type direct cuts, the sci-fi elements set up in the pilot (Remember that little red ball? It comes into play in a big way in the season finale). It doesn't even take 3 or 4 episodes to find it's groove like even some of the best shows do (The Simpsons took arguably 2 seasons and Sports Night took about 3 episodes). Season 1 will probably be remembered as one of the best.

Season 2 might be even better. In every episode of season 2, something important happens that will affect the rest of the season. BTW, those of you who haven't seen season 2 should not look at the cover art. I know that will probably hard but avoid it at all costs as it gives away the ending to the season 1 finale and the season 2 premiere. This will probably impossible but I know some of you dedicated people out there will find a way. Consider yourselves lucky that you're watching them for the first time on DVD. Watching season 2 on television was so hard (But so rewarding). You'll be glad you did come time the brilliant season 2 finale. The rest of us have been waiting for 4 excruciating months. Tivo the first 6 or 7 episodes of season 3, watch all of season 2, then splurge on your Tivo-ed episodes. You'll be glad you taped them after the finale. Trust me.

nick_rh

Stunt Coordinator
Watching season 2 on television was so hard (But so rewarding). You'll be glad you did come time the brilliant season 2 finale. The rest of us have been waiting for 4 excruciating months. Tivo the first 6 or 7 episodes of season 3, watch all of season 2, then splurge on your Tivo-ed episodes. You'll be glad you taped them after the finale. Trust me.
Yes! Watching any of Season 3 before seeing Season 2 (especially the finale) should be against the law. Besides, you won't have a clue what's going on. (Even those of us who SAW the second season are probably going to be scratching our heads for a while!)

Joel C

Screenwriter
And DON'T watch the season 2 preview on the DVD! I've seen all the episodes first-run, but I couldn't believe how much was given away.

Bill>Moore

Second Unit
I picked this up the other day...mostly blind. My girlfriend's been watching since the beginning, so I've seen a few eps and know some major plot points and spoilers. I've only seen a couple of eps though and didn't really pay attention to them, so watching the DVDs will really be a new experience. I'm sure it's going to be good.

I'm planning on watching season 1 on DVD, Tivo-ing season 3 and saving those eps, watching season 2 on DVD in December and catching up on season 3 after that.

Steeve Bergeron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steeve Bergeron
I found it totally addictive, especially with the cliffhangers. HAD to watch the next show to get some "closure"...then HAD to watch the next, until finally I'm finished watching the entire 1st Season.
The finale episode was good but predictable. Bring on the second season!

CoreyII

Second Unit
I"ve seen quite a few episodes here and there, I've always resisted really getting into it because I didn't want to get distracted from my school work.

Here's just a few observations from a casual viewer:

1.) Jennifer Garner is definitely appealing and the fight scenes are fun to watch. But she stll sucked as Elekra in Daredevil. I've read many Daredevil comics, Garner is not a convincing Elektra Natchios.

2.) From what I've seen so far, Sydney Bristow seems to be a female hero for everyone. What I'm trying to say is that "Alias" doesn't seem to have all that "women are superior to men" preachiness that Joss Whedon consistently crammed down the audience throat with Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

3.) The supporting cast is very good, except for that CIA guy who likes Sydney. He is such a cliche'd preppy boy character, I hope they cap his a$$ in the next season.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
I agree with Dan.

Part of the beauty of Buffy was the double edged sword that came with being "special." I never felt that there was any male/female agenda. The characters had enough problems just dealing within their own skins.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
I completely agree. The theme was always "female empowerment" but I didn't feel it was "crammed" down our throats. It was done very delicately.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks