What's new

HTF, I Need Your Help! The Legend of Sleepy Hollow (Jeff Goldblum) needs a DVD release (1 Viewer)

LCD22

Screenwriter
There is currently an opportunity to tie this in with the Fox television series, Sleepy Hollow. You have Disney releasing the beloved animated classic, The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad, on Blu-ray next month. So where is this cult classic? Jeff Goldblum gives the definitive performance as Ichabod Crane; a role that is completely his own. Dick Butkus pulls off a surprising Brom Bones and is equally good.

This and Scrooge (1970) in the past have been perennial favorites on television. They are generational. The latter has seen both DVD and a lightening fast Blu-ray release (complete with inclusion of the theatrical trailer - yes, I know about the missing overture) due to threads like this. But what's missing from the shelf is this telefilm. I believe CBS/Paramount owns the rights and they have interestingly enough have already released one cult classic this year (and to be honest, I've never heard of it before) The Horror At 37,000 Feet. It is looking increasingly like The Legend of Sleepy Hollow (Ron?) won't be in the 4th Quarter.

Whether you grew up with this version of Washington Irving's story or have any interest in all things "Sleepy Hollow", please take a moment and show your support for my most-wanted Holy Grail, frustratingly still absent on DVD.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079453/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm all for the release of ANYTHING starring Jeff Goldblum.

I find him one of the most interesting (and oddly engaging) actors working today.

I have never seen this and think Goldblum would be perfectly cast as the gangly and lanky Ichabod Crane--a character set in a place that is only minutes from my home.

Let's help Chris drum up support for this release!

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
I don't think any of the Schick-Sunn Classics pictures (produced under the "series" banner of "Classics Illustrated") have had DVD releases. Some of them got out on VHS many years ago on various different independent labels. I know of at least three that did (Sleepy Holllow on Magnum, the later in EP speed on Starmaker, The Time Machine on VCI and Fall of the House of Usher on Forum).

Since all the VHS releases were from different companies, perhaps the Schick-Sunn ownership is similarly 'splintered'?

LCD22

Screenwriter
Could be. It makes perfect sense. Who would own the DVD rights then? I wish we knew for sure whether CBS/Paramount owns this version of Sleepy Hollow.

Thanks for the information on the VHS releases of The Legend of Sleepy Hollow. This went completely under my radar. I'll be sticking with my recording for now.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
An addendum to my previous post: it seems that House of Usher was also originally released on VCI (along with The Time Machine) and that the Forum Home Video release is a re-release.

Most (if not all) of the other Classics Illustrated titles also made it to VHS: Last of the Mohicans, The Deerslayer, Donner Pass: Road to Survival, California Gold Rush, Adventures of Nellie Bly, and Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks