What's new

Scrooge (1970) - Will we ever see a special edition? (1 Viewer)

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
I recall seeing SCROOGE at Radio City--it was a joyous time! The whole place rocked during the final sequences.

I also saw SCROOGE reissued a year later, paired with BLUE WATER, WHITE DEATH, a shark documentary.

:D

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
I wish they'd release a CD of the movie score. It's beautiful. Really. . . It's got to be one of the last old LP's that have never made it to CD yet.

That's a crying shame.

James Smith

DaveB

Stunt Coordinator
This film on VHS and later on DVD has been an annual tradition in our family. An SE release with perhaps an improved video transfer and extras would be an automatic buy obviously, but I don't want to get my hopes up. Would love to see it happen though.

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
I'd like to see CBS/Paramount issue some other Cinema Center/National General films, including a certain Lee Marvin western, before they revisit Scrooge.

James LM

Grip
They would have to get a move on to record something with Ronald Neame for this, or any other, film. He turns 97 in April. He has been on form recently (The Poseidon Adventure commentary). Cinematographer Oswald Morris has just turned 92. It would be great if they could be engaged to record a commentary together for one of their fifteen films together, six as a director - cinematographer team. I recorded a commentary with Oswald Morris last summer and know he can perform such a task very well. Neame lives in California and Morris in the South of England though.

It would also be very expedient to record a commentary with Leslie Bricusse, who wrote the screenplay as well as all the music and also executively produced.

The BBC recorded interviews with Ronald Neame, Albert Finney and producer Robert H. Solo for the Film Night programme on the subject of the about to be released film. They might well have been wiped, knowing how the BBC was at the time.

Clay_E

Second Unit
I met Mr. Neame a few years ago when I worked for Fox Movie Channel - we were working on a show about The Poseidon Adventure, and he was not only charming and gracious, but still sharp as a tack. A commentary from him and/or Albert Finney would be most welcome.

LCD22

Screenwriter
I had the shock of my life when I noticed something on my HD on-screen guide; HDNet Movies has this scheduled for Monday, December 1st at 12:20 AM.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
They had it on last year, but as i recall, it was not much of an improvement over the DVD. I'll take a look on Dec. 1st to see if anything new has been done with it. They are also showing Tom Jones in conjunction with Scrooge, which I might look at as well.

LCD22

Screenwriter

I didn't have an HDTV or an HD tier package last year, but it's nice to see this airing annually again. Honestly, I was expecting it to show up this year.

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Billy Feldman
I'm in the camp of the folks who don't understand why people who profess to love this film so have not bought the DVD. Perhaps that sort of apathy is why these things don't get further treatment in terms of an SE. If lovers of the film sit there and don't buy, why would a studio think they'd then get up and buy an SE. Because the reality is, they wouldn't. Just like all the people who want the soundtrack on CD - half of them wouldn't buy it, or would buy it years later - I've seen this happen time and time again and it's fascinating. The fact is, Scrooge was a flop on its original release and is mostly loved by people who saw it at a young age or on TV at a young age.

That said, it's my favorite version of A Christmas Carol, and I think Finney is a great Scrooge, and I like most of the songs. Neame did a terrific job with it, and I bought the DVD the day it came out - why? Because I really like the film. Why others who really like the film haven't purchased it is anyone's guess.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

I'm with you. I taped the movie off a local channel before the VHS came out (the telecast omitted the scene in Hell), bought the VHS, then the laserdisc, and then the DVD. The movie is reasonably well presented on DVD, and I do not feel I am missing anything when I watch it. I don't know what one would supply as "SE features" anyway. Many, if not most of the people who worked on it are probably dead now.

My wife and I usually manage to watch 3 versions of the story during the holidays. In addition to the musical, we like Mr Magoo's version and George C Scott's.

LCD22

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by David_B_K

Any updates on Scrooge, Ron? Since this year is the 40th, I hope a BD release (with a new HD transfer) is in the works.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Sadly, I agree that it seems hopeless. If they haven't bothered with White Christmas, I doubt Scrooge is going to get any love either. What a shame. It's a really wonderful musical, and the production is top-notch. I was lucky enough to see it originally at Radio City Music Hall, and it was awe-inspiring there.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
"Scrooge" is not a Paramount film to begin with, they only have video rights through CBS. "Scrooge" was originally a Cinema Center film. It's doubtful much even exists at this date. The Director recently passed away (last week?) and a CD was never issued. I would say we are lucky to have a widescreen stereo DVD, it's possible the film will come to Blu-ray at some point, but to date Paramount has released very few pre-1980 films (Godfather, Grease, Saturday Night Fever being the exceptions) on blu-ray (If only Audrey Hepburn was in it!!!!!)

LCD22

Screenwriter

Originally Posted by MattH.

Sadly, I agree that it seems hopeless. If they haven't bothered with White Christmas, I doubt Scrooge is going to get any love either. What a shame. It's a really wonderful musical, and the production is top-notch. I was lucky enough to see it originally at Radio City Music Hall, and it was awe-inspiring there.

Bill Hunt posted this morning that White Christmas will be released in November, and as a DVD Giftset. CBS/Paramount, where the heck is Scrooge?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by ChrisCook

Bill Hunt posted this morning that White Christmas will be released in November, and as a DVD Giftset. CBS/Paramount, where the heck is Scrooge?

What a terrific Christmas present to get White Christmas on Blu-ray! I couldn't be more excited. Of course, I'd still like to see Scrooge get similar treatment.

starstring

Auditioning
Real Name
Christopher G. Short
I have the DVD version and it's wonderful. There are two key scenes missing which I'm sure I saw aired one time on TV. So I believe there are two versions floating out there, these would be great to have as bonus features or a special edition.

The first scene missing, is when the ghost of Christmas Present shows Scrooge the children of Want and Ignorance from beneath his robes. The second is during the ghost of Christmas Yet to Come, where some of the townspeople are talking in the resale shop about taking Scrooge's bed curtains and such. Two very powerful and important elements in the story, each help to make poignant the depravity and ugliness of Scrooge and what he stands for.

I don't think we have to be apologetic for Victorian notions in storytelling, politically correct or not (I'm thinking Mark Twain here too). Some may feel the above scenes take away from the "Holly Jolly" Christmas feel of the piece but I really think they are literarily important.

It would be also nice to see an interview with Albert Finney (while he is still alive) giving his recollections on the making of the film, working with Alec Guiness, Kenneth More and the rest of the cast. Also stories of what he remembers going on in his own life at the time. So many of the other actors in this film have already passed away.

In my opinion it is the best version of the Christmas carol on film. The set design, score, actors, cinematography and the rest make this film truly deserving of all the special treatment it can get.

I have watched this film at least once a year since the early 70s when it was regularly aired on TV and then when it came out on VHS and now on DVD.

I watched it when I was a kid and now my kids have watched it and enjoy it too. Hopefully their children will do the same. In my opinion there are only a handful of films out there that can warrant and withstand repeated viewings yet remain fresh and exciting as the first time you saw it and Scrooge for me is definitely one of those films. Like "It's a Wonderful Life", Scrooge is one of the cornerstones for holiday viewing in my home and I imagine it is the same for many others too.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Truly one of my favorite holiday movies and the version of A Christmas Carol I enjoy the most. The scenes that you are referring to were put into the film when it started airing on TV and were not in the original theatre cut. SFM Entertainment, a company that syndicated to local TV stations a family film once a month during the early and middle 70's, first purchased the film for a three years as it's Holiday syndication movie. It cut out some of the more scary scenes, which was Scrooge and Marley flying among chained ghosts and when Scrooge falls into hell. They rescued these scenes from the cutting room floor to help round out the running time. I was really ticked off about them cutting Scrooge in hell. I agree the scenes would make a nice extra.

LCD22

Screenwriter
Thank you for refreshing my memory. I remember those scenes! Yes, they should also be included.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks