What's new

HTF DVD REVIEW: Barnaby Jones: The First Season (2 Viewers)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Willis
I knew you'd like this one.
Jeff "Box set from the UK received" W.
Yep Jeff. You nailed that one for sure! I'm glad I picked it up.
I was going to ask you about the UK set later today. Hope it's too your liking. /img/vbsmilies/htf/smile.gif
Gary "still sitting on the fence with that one myself - but I'll fall off soon, I'm sure" O.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
It's only been out about two months, I really think more should be coming eventually as viewer response seems good. Just finished the set today, enjoyed it tremendously - especially love how the murderers always hate Barnaby's guts, and he being sly as a fox just insults them carefully concealed between the lines. Lovely stuff.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Gary OS /forum/thread/297627/htf-dvd-review-barnaby-jones-the-first-season/30#post_3681686
It's only been out about two months, I really think more should be coming eventually as viewer response seems good. Just finished the set today, enjoyed it tremendously - especially love how the murderers always hate Barnaby's guts, and he being sly as a fox just insults them carefully concealed between the lines. Lovely stuff.
I don't think Barnaby will have a problem with his bad guys....he's got a powerful frame...all that calcium, you know.... :)

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor
Interesting that the word was bleeped out. Contrary to what some believe here, the N word was not said easily in early 70's broadcast TV. I remember it was such a big deal when Sammy Davis Jr. said it to Archie Bunker.

I am wondering if the word was written and filmed in production and somehow slipped by standards and practices and when they found out it was there they bleeped it in the original broadcast.

I can easily imagine that scenario

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
I know that the 'n' word also gets mentioned in 1978 in a season 11 episode of Hawaii Five-0, "A Distant Thunder", which features a bunch of neo-Nazis. It will be interesting to see if CBS-P bleeps that one out as well when they get around to releasing it.
BTW, I'm enjoying Barnaby Jones, but as far as detective shows go, I think I prefer Cannon, Rockford and Magnum more.

MattHR

Screenwriter
I just watched the first four eps. My satisfaction with the quality of the transfers was matched by my disappointment with the censorship. If PC is the current policy at CBS/Paramount, I think it would have been better to simply cut the whole line, rather than insert that obnoxious and censoring beep-over.
There's no way that ep was originally broadcast with that beep-over. It was common to hear the "N" word in the '70s -- but it was not used lightly. I just watched a third season ep of Starsky & Hutch where it was used by a racist white cop who had just shot an unarmed black man, who was good friends with S&H. S&H were questioning the cop, when a black woman witness refuted the cop's claim of "self defense". The cop called the woman the "N" word, upon which Starsky slapped him very hard in the face.
In the case of S&H and Barnaby Jones, both instances of use of the "N" word were by vile, pathetic, racist thugs, who were the villains in the eps, so it's a case of context. It's not that I enjoy actually hearing the "N" word used, but it does make the scene more powerful and the user more despicable, as opposed to the modern practice of a beep-over.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
BTW, I just re-watched the Hawaii Five-0 episode "King of the Hill" and towards the end of the show, Yaphet Kotto graphically makes a statement featuring the 'n' word. This, as you know, is a CBS-Paramount DVD release from 2007, so I wonder how that one managed to get through? Very strange.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Season 1 just came out three months ago, so it's probably way too soon for any announcements.

If we see two seasons this year (Can't imagine 3 for this series in one year), you might be in for quite a wait if they continue but decide they want to target the Christmas season for season 2 like they do with a lot of their releases.

I'd bet on a November-December timeframe for the next release and a announcement around September or October.

But maybe they will do a summer release instead.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
It used to be so much easier to predict the future course of CBS/Paramount releases when the Syndication Bible was available on-line. Now, it's almost impossible to do so. The only series we know that had been transferred for possible future DVD release that still haven't been announced are the final season of "The Fugitive" and Seasons 4-8 of "Mannix".

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Recently watched an episode from the fourth season of Hawaii Five-O, "3,000 Crooked Miles to Honolulu", in which Buddy Ebsen guest stars as a professor. The episode (an excellent one) made me want to check out the TV series Barnaby Jones, so I'm considering getting the first season Region 1 set.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
WaveCrest said:
Recently watched an episode from the fourth season of Hawaii Five-O, "3,000 Crooked Miles to Honolulu", in which Buddy Ebsen guest stars as a professor. The episode (an excellent one) made me want to check out the TV series Barnaby Jones, so I'm considering getting the first season Region 1 set.
I really don't think you will be disappointed. The episode that has William Shatner as a guest star is worth the price alone. All episodes are really well done, and it is one of the best 70's shows I have on dvd. Great stuff.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Can't see how this couldn't be anything but a crowd pleaser, either. Too bad it appears to be dead in water at CBS right now, one very short first season out (of 8) really isn't very much. Luckily it's a brilliant one, I'd say that brief season's better than the two full Cannon seasons they did release put together. Just personal philosophy there. While surely not rocket science scripts, I still think the narrative structure and suspense of this quite traditional private eye show is hard to beat for this particular TV period, so would sure appreciate a lot more than what we got.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Tim Gregerson said:
whats taking so long for the release of season2 of barnaby jones
It's CBS Home Entertainment....need I say more? :rolleyes: It seems like any show I truly like that is distributed by CBS HE gets stonewalled. :confused:
As for the "N" word, I was watching Adam 12 on Netflix today (don't know which episode or what season....my teenage son has gotten hooked on it and I watch it with him) and heard a "bad" guy say it. I was quite surprised that got out even back in that day considering how flared racial tensions were even then.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks