What's new
World Wide Stereo

HT newb - Inputs - how many do I need, optical, HDMI? (1 Viewer)

The111

Agent
Real Name
Matt Hoover
Total HT newb, and also 5.1/7.1 newb, never used anything besides 2.0.

Just got HDTV, Samsung 4042H.

Trying to decide between:

Pioneer vsx-516, 816, and 916

The 516 has 1 optical input.
The 816 has 3 optical inputs.
The 916 has 3 optical inputs + 1 HDMI input.

I'm not sure why I'd need HDMI on a receiver? :confused:

Currently I have audio (not optical, just standard stereo) going from 2 devices (DVD player and cable box) to TV on separate HDMI ports, and then out from TV to my current cheapo receiver and stereo speakers, via one stereo input. I was advised against doing this saying I should just bypass the TV and go straight from DVD player and cable box to receiver. But this would take two inputs on the receiver, which (a) I can't do with my current receiver because of no open inputs and (b) would require switching input on stereo if I want to switch from DVD player to cable TV (which is also inconvenient since current cheapo receiver has no remote).

If I move up to 5.1, I'll have to use the optical out, right? So if I get the 516 with only one optical input, I'd HAVE to route both DVD player and cable box (and any other surround sound devices) through the TV so that they could then go from TV to receiver and only take up one receiver input. But with 816 there are 3 optical inputs (although 1 of them is on the front which I probably wouldn't want to use regularly, so in reality there are only 2 on the back). So if I want to hook up DVD player, and cable box, and a new gaming system, for example, all 3 by optical, how would I do that?

Thanks for any insight provided.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
The 816 also has two coaxial digital inputs. You will have to check the back of your gear to see if any of the devices have coax digital outputs. The more inputs the better. In most instances (including yours) 5.1 or 7.1 channel channel sound requires a digital input (either coax, optical or HDMI). It's your call if you want to spend the extra money for the 916. Having a single HDMI port may not be worth much. The 917 at lease has two HDMI inputs which could be worthwhile.

Whatever you do, you don't want to route your sound to the TV, and then back to the reciever as you will only get two channel sound. Use the digital outs on your source gear to go to the receiver, then run video to the TV.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sitcomguy
Recent bookmarks