What's new

Hsu vt3 vs SVS pb12-isd help (1 Viewer)

VicBoz

Auditioning
Hello,

I need a new sub to upgrade my old polk sub. I am down to these 2 subs. I have a room thats 17-20 or so with normal ceilings and a big opening.

I would like it to go down into the teens and play loud at around 20hz. The main thing though is I want it to be accurate (musical?) Can someone tell me If SVS really has that burp effect when it gets load because I hear that its a one note sub. Since this is my first real sub I thought I could get some help here. I listen to over 90% movies. I will corner load this sub if that helps. which on will be better for me?

Chris A H

Stunt Coordinator
Both have been review head to head here. Great review with plenty of "real world" test and listening data.

BTW, the old name for the PB12-ISD was PB1-ISD...

Matt_Smi

Second Unit
Real Name
blank
Do you mean the STF-3 or the VTF-3 MK 2? Because those are both very different subs, the VTF-3 has authority at 18 Hz while the STF-3 drops off around 23 or so. I personally think that the VTF-3 is a better sub than the PB12.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Yes, the VTF-3 MKII will extend deeper in both the native tune (22 Hz), and in the lower tune (18 Hz) than will the STF-3 (25 Hz).

I think it uses a slightly different woof and amp than the STF-3, and of course the amp is optimized for the deeper tune with a custom EQ circuit to compensate for the overdamped alignment created when a port is plugged.

At one point (not any more) the VTF-3 MKII was only selling for $50 more than the STF-3 with shipping included - it was a no-brainer to step up over the STF-3 at that time.

Point being, I would be cautious drawing performance parallels between the STF-3 and the VTF-3MKII, even with both in the native tune.

VicBoz

Auditioning
Thank you for the replies but I was asking mainly about the Hsu vtf3 mkII and SVS pb12-isd. Im not really interested in the stf3. How low will the SVS go compared to the Hsu?

That thread was good (long) but it doesnt match the svs really with this sub which seems like more of a comparison?

VicBoz

Auditioning
I still dont see any comparison between the VTF 3, all the references here are for the STF 3. Im trying to see where the SVS falls short of the more expensive VTF 3. Is it range? Output? Accuracy?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Sorry, I misread your post, thought you said STF-3. I think, based on the review though, the SVS is still the way to go.

paul clipsel

Stunt Coordinator
I have had my VTF-3 Mk2 for months with total satisfaction.For flat frequency response,depth and spl output at only $700 it was a great bargain.I can't speak highly enough about the VTF-3 Mk2,its been my favorite purchase this year besides my new custom board.

PC

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Can someone tell me If SVS really has that burp effect when it gets load because I hear that its a one note sub. Since this is my first real sub I thought I could get some help here. I listen to over 90% movies. I will corner load this sub if that helps. which on will be better for me?
__________________________________________________ ____

No, definitely no burp effect. To many people including myself will tell you different. If you do decide to go the SVS rout, you will notice the quality of sound right up front-first thing along with the authority it will present in the lower freq material.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have an HSU VTF-2 now (very happy with it). Currently waiting for the SVS replacement though...:D My room is 19x20 with high vaulted ceilings and the VTF-2 has done quite well, only struggling on the lowest of tones.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I have an HSU VTF-2 now (very happy with it). Currently waiting for the SVS replacement though...:D
__________________________________________________ _____

I'll be darned John.:) What did you decide to go with? I'll be gone now and let the programing presume accordingly. I am very interested in your choice though John.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Actually, I went with a PB-10 after reading everything about it, particularly Ed's review. So not bigger, but hoping it will fill out the rest of that bottom octave a bit better than the VTF-2 (ver 1). Definitely not looking for a bigger sub. The VTF-2 is the right size and has performed suprisingly well in my room for it's size and power, and as I said, it only struggled when things got really low.

I've seen and felt the 25-31PCi, but it was a bit large for my taste, and it was definitley more than I needed for my place, even with the size of my room.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I see. Something that will go down a little deeper and put less stress on the driver at the same time. From what I've heard so far it can really thrash it out if called upon. Hope it works for ya John? I know I'm counting on it working for me and it will be interesting to hear your take on it.

Thanks VicBoz for letting me briefly step in..:emoji_thumbsup:

john_FE

Stunt Coordinator
I am in the same boat as some of you here. I cant freakin decide between these 2 subs either. Everytime I think I am decided I find a thread like this. 2 bad nobody has done a shootout between the 2.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
A little bigger is OK. I have room for a PCi, I just don't want something that big. The PB-10 will still be invisible in my corner :D Sorry, let's not hijack the thread.

VicBoz

Auditioning
After researching both subs I have to say more people have convinced me that the HSU may be the better choice. I just need to get past the fact that it will cost me $100 more. I also like the SVS base plate, adds to the look of it but the HSU being smaller adds to the WAF.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks