What's new

How's your cable modem access? (1 Viewer)

James L White

Supporting Actor
I'm connecting to my dial-up at 26.4k but only getting a download rate of a whopping 1.2k/s and peak time gives me about 0.8k/s
1.2KBPS, am I reading that right K as in kilobytes? i used to have dial-up that usually ran at about 45K and I thought that was slow.We recently got wireless here (49.95/ month)and the only reason we got it is because someone who works for the company that owns the ISP had to have a high-speed connection and they decided to offer it to everyone, other wise we'd still be stuck on that slow crap, anyhow Clinton sorry to hear that you're just out of range man that's gotta suck:frowning:
And where's Plumerville (never heard of that town) I'm guessing it's in the L.R. area:)

Michael Silla

Second Unit
Aaron,
Broadband internet services seem to be one thing our cousins up north have had mastered from some time now. I can remember seeing the cable fibre optic lines being put in Winnipeg in 1995 - 5 full years before anything like that appeared in Salt Lake city. AT&T's (formerly TCI) broadband service can still only be called sporadic in the Salt Lake city - Ogden Metro area. Shaw/Videon (Videon is now dead) cable has had most all of Winnipeg covered since 1996. In fact, when I first got my cable installed in the year 2000 (I lived in a coverage area at the time) the person who came and installed my service was from Alberta (Calgary in fact). Now that I live inbetween coverage "patches" I have to endure with AT&T constant "lie" of "it's coming in 6 months"(it's been 18)
If that were all then I *might* not be so upset. Canadians, by far, pay much less per month for broadband services. My buddy (In winnipeg) pays $34.99 (CAN) a month for his cable services. He regularly sees 2-3 mBit downloads and I guess because the Winnipeg network is so mature, he doesn't see much if any downtime.
I have a sister who considered DSL from MTS for $39.99 (CAN) a month for a 1mBit/256 line. Contrast that with most American broadband subscribers (like myself) who (IMHO) get taken every month when they pay $45-$50 (US) dollars a month for similar services.
I do realize that in my area, if you buy the cable modem, you can get AT&T broadband down to $34.95 (US) a month if you sign a year's contract. That said, I cannot explain to myself why broadband, when exchange rates are considered, cost so much more here in the US. Perhaps it is because so many Canadians have embraced broadband services and therefore kept competition alive and costs low?. Maybe it is because the market is more mature?.
I dunno.
One thing is for sure though - those Canadian companies have found a way to convince (ugh...here I go) Joe and Jane six pack that they absolutely need broadband service. They actually took a BIG risk in the beginning and it paid off for them.
I wish AT&T and other US Broadband providers had similar vision. Perhaps then I could look forward to the day that broadband cost perhaps could be Half what they are today.
My two cents, ;)
Michael.

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
Luis,

Be patient. I'm on the other side of the state from you and thought I'd never see it here. Found out last week that Comcast HS Internet was now available in my neighborhood. Signed up yesterday, installation on Friday. Can't wait!

Peace,

DM

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
I finally got wireless broadband after years of dial-up. The service is $50/month and I got free installation, more then worth it if you ask me. On dial-up the fastest connection speed I could get was 24kbps, I just ran a speed test at dslreports and got 901kbps up and 715kbps down. Needless to say I'll never go back.

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
Adelphia here...paying $26/mo with another $5 as rental for cable modem. Lower price due to cable service bundle.

2002-09-25 23:16:01 EST: 1135 / 126
Your download speed : 1135944 bps, or 1135 kbps.
A 138.6 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 126742 bps, or 126 kbps

Above is usual for me....As everyone says, once u've tasted broadband, there's no turning back.

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
2002-10-01 19:58:06 EST: 1228 / 1376
Your download speed : 1228197 bps, or 1228 kbps.
A 149.9 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 1376462 bps, or 1376 kbps.
Seems like broadband .. above the 1mbit barrier!
T1 baby :emoji_thumbsup:

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
2002-10-01 20:58:18 EST: 1273 / 443
Your download speed : 1273854 bps, or 1273 kbps.
A 155.4 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 443491 bps, or 443 kbps.
Seems like broadband .. above the 1mbit barrier!
sweeeeeet... My AdSL's rated at 1.5Mbits/sec, so its pretty close :)

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
If you think $45 is a lot, you are CRAZY. At home I have Optimum Online Cable modem and get 5300 Kb down and 1000Kb up, yep, thats right 5mb+ down and 1 up.
At work I have a fractional T1 which I get a theoritcal max of 512k Down (usually in the mid 400s). For this priviledge I pay $650 per month for.
Consider $45 a very decent deal, especially if your advertised speeds are in excess of 1Mb down.

Kyle

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kyle
$29.95 mo here, 300kbs usually it been higher and lower. Wouldn't trade it for anything....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks