What's new

How to test speaker wiring? (1 Viewer)

Bill_Boston

Stunt Coordinator
Hello ... I just purchased a home that is already wired for outdoor speakers. These in-ceiling, patio speakers are installed, and I assume, wired as well. Inside my home, the "other end" is nicely labeled as such. One thicker wire carries both pairs. I see 4 wires; red, black, white, green. How do I know which pair goes to which speaker? I think I heard someone once tell me to take a 9V battery, and by placing the selected pairs on the +/- terminals, I would hear some "clicking" out by the speaker. Is this true? Or, is there some other way to test to ensure I connect the proper pairs (with the proper polarity) to my receiver. Thanks!

- Bill

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Yes the 9 volt battery test works quite well. Disconnect the wires from the amplifier or receiver before doing the test.

For polarity you need to be able to see the speaker cone through the grill.

Touch the battery contacts to the wires and the cone will move either in or out. Mark each speaker's pair of wires with plus and minus to match the battery after you see that the cone moves the same way for each speaker and its pair of wires.

Do not hold the battery connected for more than a fraction of a second otherwise you wear down the battery quite fast.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks