What's new

How to make it all work (1 Viewer)

Mark Thomas

Auditioning
Well, I finally got my HT all hooked up, but I have five separate remotes now! I have programed all the codes that I can into the HT remote, and I can do a few simple functions, but I can't get device menus and such to work. I need help! My equipment is as follows:

Sony KP-46WT510 TV
Onkyo HT-R520 (part of the HT-S770 box HT system)
JVC XV-N310B DVD
JVC HR-S2901/ 2911U VCR
Direct TV satellite receiver (unknown brand)

Like I said, I can get some of the remotes to do some parts of the controls, but none of them will do it all. Can I buy something that will integrate all functions of all devices or am I just stuck with a table full of remotes?

Mark T.

BTW I am anxious to have enough posts to be able to post a pic of my system... but I guess all in good time.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The MX-500 is a fully programmable remote with learning capability and macros. It or any other will solve your problems. Do your research first because there are hundreds of options to choose from.

-Robert

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member

Well...be careful here.

You want 1 remote that can do basic volume, device, channel switching. Transport controls for the DVD/VCR/PVR - and thats it.

Put the original remotes away and only pull them out when you need to access the device setup menus (which should be infrequent).

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
But don't forget to take the batteries out of the ones you put up, or they will corrode your contact points and make the remotes un-usable. Factory remotes are EXPENSIVE to replace............. :)

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
Do a search in the accessories forum for "universal remote." You can also try www.remotecentral.com. I've heard good things about the MX remote mentioned above.

I opted for the Harmony remote from logitech. They are easy to program - you do it on the internet. I think a really neat feature is that they are "activity based." You just hit a button labelled "watch tv" or "watch a movie" and the remote turns on all the right boxes and sets the correct inputs for each, so volume will control the tv or the receiver, or however you program it. My wife figured it out in 30 seconds which won me big points. ;)

The 680 is the hot model right now. I got the 659 and love it. Amazon is running deals with free shipping and for awhile you could save an additional $30 by signing up for an amazon credit card. They retail for $160-200, but I got mine for $85 shipped. A programmable universal remote is a must. Don't bother with programming the ones that came with your equipment. I consider the Harmony the world's greatest invention, tied with TiVo and the high speed EZ Pass toll lanes!

Elijah

Supporting Actor
Charlie, youve got me laughing out loud over here about the EZ Pass. However I doubt that most people know what you are talking about, especially in this thread, MS, MC, CA...
You know what I like best about this whole EZ Pass setup though, is the ability to run through the tolls without paying. I go through infrequently enough to get EZ Pass, like maybe once a month, usually less. However when I come up to the tolls, and dont have cash which is ALWAYS as I never carry cash anymore, I can just tell them to bill me. When i drive through they just send me the bill. I dont know why they didnt do that as the standard 5 years ago. They wouldnt have to pay grumpy toll workers, and people could roll through there at 10-15 miles per hour, imagine on friday nights how that would help.

On that note how about all the delays and extra millions in work for the bridge *blegh* what a mess. Oh well enough ranting. Its good to see another HTF member from MD.

Mark Thomas

Auditioning
Thanks for all of your opinions. I will research learning remotes and try to find one that will do what I envision (although I don't know if I'll be smart enough to program it). It won't take long for me to pick one out because, as it stands right now, I don't use the HT room at all... it's just a hastle to remember which remote does what part of the control. So if anyone has opinions on learning remotes, just send me to the correct forum and I'll wade through the multitude of machines and find a solution.

Thanks again,
Mark

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Harmony 688 will do everything for you and it's a snap to program. Just go to Harmony's web site and pick out your equipment. It will automatically download the codes for you.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks