What's new

how to get rid of directv, dish etc (1 Viewer)

Alfonso_M

Second Unit
Robert_J said:
All 3 of my DirecTV receivers are DVRs so I don't watch commercials. In fact, I'm not even sure when most of my favorite programs are even on. I always have something worth watching already recorded. One DVR records shows on ABC, NBC and CBS. One DVR records Fox and cable series. One DVR records OTA HD and non HD satellite series. Saturday football is easy to schedule with the ability to record 6 high def shows at one time.
I know all about skipping commercials with DVRs, but the fact still remains that you are still paying top dollar for commercial channels full of commercials whether you skip them or not, and we are not allowed to just subscribe to premium channels only, customers are forced to pay for the so call "Basic" to get to the premium services like HBO, SHO, etc, you're also paying extra fees for DVRs to be able to skip commercials you don't want to see, the bottom line is that the Cable/Sat companies are laughing all the way to the bank. I jumped off that train way back when fees reached $50.00 or so a month, I watch hi-def OTA only, and skip commercials using a DVD-R with HDD, with the money saved I get all the Blu movies/TV series I want to see (repeated times) and if I need to watch sports event, i spent my money at a sport bar instead.
michealmyers said:
well i was mainly looking at ditching directv for cost, to save roughly 100 a month.
If you want to save money for better things, get a Hi-def OTA antenna (costco has new models for sale as we speak), and find a local installer for the installation, buy yourself a Phillips DVDr with HDD that will function almost as close as a DVR, and if you want to record and archive Hi-def programing, look into a stand along TIVO or a DISH hi def recorder, add a "streaming" box as suggested above to the mix , and you wont have enough time to watch all the programing available, and all for for Free.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Alfonso_M said:
bottom line is that the Cable/Sat companies are laughing all the way to the bank.
If the sat companies switch to a pay for only the channels you watch, then the prices for those few channels would be through the roof.
Alfonso_M said:
you're also paying extra fees for DVRs to be able to skip commercials you don't want to see...... I jumped off that train way back when fees reached $50.00 or so a month,..... if I need to watch sports event, i spent my money at a sport bar instead.
We have different TV watching goals and personal price points. I'm well aware of my monthly bill and I gladly pay it. I consider the DVR fee a huge value. Same with my programming. I'd rather spend 3 hours watching 3 different games on the DVR (no commercials, no huddles, no half-time chit-chat) than spend 10 hours in a bar watching the same games. I use those 7 hours for something else.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks