What's new

How to compare when on websites? (1 Viewer)

Mike Romo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Romo
hi guys-

I just don't know how people do it. How do people buy speakers now? I mean, I have some good stereo stores here in LA but they certainly don't have all the brands that I read about (and admire). I had a great experience with SVS when I got my subwoofer, but now I am looking at some speakers to replace my PSBAudio (bookshelf) speakers with some towers.

My problem is that I listened to the Paradigm Monitor 9s at a store and they were fantastic (Paradigm ::: Models :::Monitor 9 ) but I keep hearing, er, reading good things about Axiom speakers as well. It looks like the M60v2's were comparable (Floorstanding Speakers : Millennia M60 v2 - Axiom Audio) but when I look at the specifications, they just don't seem to match up and, even worse, I am not sure what numbers means which speaker is "better".

Axiom's specs read:
Max Amp Power: 250 Watts
Min Amp Power: 10 Watts
Freq Resp +/-3dB (Hz): 37 - 22kHz
Freq Resp +3dB- 9dB (Hz): 27 - 22kHz
Impedance (Ohms): 8 Ohms
SPL in Room1w/1m(dB): 93 dB
SPL Anechoic 1w/1m(dB): 89 dB
X-Over 200 Hz & 2 kHz

While Paradigm's read:
Low-Frequency Extension 39 Hz (DIN)
Frequency Response:
On-Axis - ±2 dB from 51 Hz - 20 kHz
30° Off-Axis - ±2 dB from 51 Hz - 15 kHz
Sensitivity - Room / Anechoic 96 dB / 93 dB
Suitable Amplifier Power Range 15 - 200 watts
Maximum Input Power† 150 watts
ImpedanceCompatible with 8 ohm

From these readings, it looks like the Axioms can take a more powerful amp, but then the Padadigm my have a better frequency response?

I just don't know how to read these things. Does anyone have tips for online speaker shopping and what to be looking for?

thanks--and any recommendations for new floorstanding speakers would be appreciated. I am looking to spend around $700-800, with $1000 being my upper limit (hence these two monsters).

all the best,
mike

Mike Romo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Romo
hey hey!

after a bunch of research on how to read those graphs on speaker sites and other information, I am going to rock the Axioms...yay!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks