What's new

How to clean my RPTV screen? (1 Viewer)

Lee Weiss

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Mitsubishi 45" RPTV that is about 5 years old and two kids. Although there are only a couple of slight scratches that are not visible unless up close, the grime seems impossible to get off!

I have tried a few different cleaners without much success. Being made of some sort of plastic, with grooves, it is impossible to clean it well; so when there are bright scenes, you can see streaks and it's annoying!

BTW, what would a new screen cost and is that something I could replace?

Mike I

Supporting Actor
You should never use anything more than a soft damp cloth..If you used cleaners with ammonia, that very well could have discolored your screen and could be the streaks you are seeing...

Lee Weiss

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe I did screw up. It is not discolored per say, but more like streaks that I cannot seem to wipe off. I assumed it has a protective coating.

Streaks are not all over, and are not in the same place each time I clean it. I just cannot get them all off. I had used liquid dish soap thinking that was fairly safe.

The picture looks great all other times.

Anyone?

Mike I

Supporting Actor
If you used liquid dish soap, alot of them have hand softners in them that could be causing the streaks...Just try gently wiping just with a damp soft cloth a few times to go the softening oils off....

Lee Weiss

Stunt Coordinator
I was digging around online for more information, and came across things you can do to calibrate your RPTV. Mine is 5 years old and I just found the original remote after about 2 years, and has been in a dusty environment lately, so I assume it could look better.

I am still under an extended service contract that ends soon, so I called them to complain that the colors did not seem "right", but they want me to talk to a tech while I am with the TV.

I believe there is quite a bit of dust and dander in my TV and would like to make it "new" again.

Any suggestions? Thanks so far.

Mike I

Supporting Actor
Your CRTS and mirror very well could have a dust coating on them...These could easily be cleaned with nothing more than a lense cleaning cloth you can get from any camera store...

If you do it your self, make sure the tv is unplugged...

Lee Weiss

Stunt Coordinator
I am getting a cleaning and adjustment under extended warranty. Stupid me could have a cleaning every year but forgot.

Anything I should ask to be adjusted in particular while they are here?

Lee Weiss

Stunt Coordinator
Errol,

I had cleaning people in yesterday and who knows what they did, but it is perfect.

I keep reading about protective screens and such. Is that for glass screens? Mine has a plastic screen, which is sometimes hard to see in bright light. Is that something you can remove, not that I would with another youngster due any day.

Mike I

Supporting Actor
The protective screens are removable and definatly provide a better picture when removed....

Lee Weiss

Stunt Coordinator
I do not have what appears to be a shiny cover like your pictures show. Maybe I don't have this protective screen? Are they smooth or dimpled like my screen?
It is a Mitsubishi VS4543 which I bought about 5 years ago.
You think my wife would buy that we need a new widescreen just cause it has a protective cover?:thumbsdown:
As far as servicing, they are coming next week. What should I specifically request besides a cleaning. I need tech words so I can sound like I know what I am talking about.

RyanDinan

Stunt Coordinator
Lee,

The protective screen, which is often very reflective, is smooth like plexiglass. Behind this screen is the lenticular screen ("ribbed" screen to diffuse light), and behind that, is the fresnel screen, whcih acts as a big convex lens, which focusses the light from your mirror.

Older sets do not have a protective screen in front, so you're probably seeing your lenticular screen.

Personally, I find that the protective screen creates a "liquid" look to the images, and makes the colors stand out, creating a better image than without it. However, the light in the room must be controlled to avoid reflections.

Removing the protective screen on sets that come with them, can cause the inner two screens to bow, separate, or become flimsy, which would create focusing and convergence errors if not reinforced by some means.

To clean your lenticular screen, if it is on the outside - I reccomend using a can of compressed air and a cotten cloth, moistened with water. You can also add a slight bit of Dawn detergent to the water to cut through any grease. Just make sure you wipe it off with clean water afterwards. Be very careful, and don't press too hard on the screen, as they are very delicate. Use the compressed air to blow out any remaining dirt in the grooves.

When the people come out to clean your set, see if they can do a service-mode convergence (to line up your red, green, and blue CRT's), and also see if they will do a mechanical and electrostatic focus. The latter is something they will probably not do - or even know how to - But the convergence is something that should be done once in a while anyway. If you see red, green, or blue "edges" to white objects, your convergence is off. They'll have to know how to get into the set's service mode, and know what the parameters mean....If they dont have a manual or are "guessing", I would tell them to forget it....They can really do some damage if they screw up...

Good luck,

-Ryan Dinan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks