What's new

how to bypass a yami 2092 crossover (1 Viewer)

Henry Ferris

Auditioning
i have finally decided i want to go to a lower crossover than the yami offers [90]. i am thinking of going down to 60 as a start. i tried a search for methods, but i must have used wrong search criteria. could someone give me a blow by blow discription of how to set my system up to bypass the receivers set crossover. thanks henry
------------------

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Henry,
If you’re using a powered sub, they typically have their own built-in crossovers.
If your sub has no built-in crossover, or is powered by an outboard amp, you will need an external electronic crossover to connect in-line between the receiver and the sub amp. Since you want to set the frequency lower than the Yamaha, it would probably be okay to use the receiver’s sub out jack. This would allow you to use the Yamaha’s sub level control, if it has one, and if you use it.
However, if your receiver has pre-out and main-jacks for the left and right channels, it would be better to connect the crossover there. That way the crossover will be functional for both the main speakers and sub.
Another significant advantage to using an outboard crossover is that you can get one with steeper slopes than the 12dB/octave filters commonly found in receivers. I personally recommend 24dB/octave Linkwitz-Riley filters for improved protection for the mains and the best phase characteristics.
There are many good electronic crossovers you can choose from. I use an AudioControl PCA-III that has the steep filters mentioned above. Other popular consumer crossovers include models from Paradigm and Marchand, but I don’t think they offer slopes steeper than 18dB/octave. A step up would be pro-audio crossovers from manufacturers like Ashly, Rane or Furman, all of which offer models with 24dB/ octave filters.
By the way, the shift key on your keyboard seems to be broken.
Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Henry Ferris

Auditioning
Hi Wayne,
My sub has built in crossover and is self powered. I understand my best plan would be to use the pre-outs for the main left and right channels,I am currently using outboard ma 700s for power.
My next question is by doing this will I lose informatoin that is not being sent to my front effects and rear speakers, I mean info that is currently being sent to the sub because of the high crossover?
Shift key is fixed.
Thanks,
Henry
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks