What's new

How the West Was Won (2 Disc) is Amazing! (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Every time I see this thread I’m reminded that the smilebox edition was the thing that pushed me to upgrade from DVD to BD. It was the first disc I ordered.

Indy Guy

Premium
Real Name
Tony Baxter
I will always remember this disc because it was given free to every audience member attending a rare 3 strip showing of the film at the Cinerama Dome in Hollywood. It was also a over a week before the official release date.
I remember the showing had many visual imperfections due to the join lines and the mechanical nature of the film, but the transparent full rich sound more than made up for it! There were some exhibits in the lobby including the glass title plates and a Cinerama camera rig.
I miss those special events at the Dome which has been closed for years now. A few years back I drove by and got very excited by what I saw below...but it turned out to be only a background shoot for "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood".
IMG_20230922_180036.jpg
IMG_20230922_180045.jpg
IMG_20230922_180032.jpg

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
The 2 disc blu ray of "How The West Was Won" Digi book is apparently available at GRUV. This first release on blu ray was the only time the smilebox version has been available on disk.
At $19.99 this is a good deal for something believed long OP.
Hope it is not some kind of error.

The link now shows the set is sold out. Maybe it was an error or a few people ordered the remaining stock after I posted about it. They should rerelease the 2 disc set or maybe 4K? TCM has been showing the smilebox version of HTWWW after the Brothers Grimm Warner Archive set was released which also includes a smilebox verstion of that film.
And now it shows as "In Stock" Long live the Smilebox version.

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
By coincidence this was the film I picked to show the youngest triplet nephew this past Saturday night. His parameter for me was a film that had won a Best Screenplay award, and that afforded the perfect opportunity to finally get around to this for him (the Smilebox version of course; I’d already shown it to the eldest nephew a few years back). Having seen it during the initial roadshow release in 1963, I had the enormous pleasure of again seeing the three strip version many years ago at the Seattle Cinerama Film Festival - went to two screenings, once at the beginning of my week there, once at the end. No home screening can approach the immersive impact of such a theatrical event (the rapids, the buffalo stampede!) but the Blu-ray is a fine facsimile and excellent transfer blending the join lines to the point you really don’t notice them. Nephew was also wowed by the brilliant Alfred Newman score, with the always notable assist on the vocals by his assistant Ken Darby. Glad some retail copies showed up after all these years, it’s a real treat. This ought to be a candidate for a new 4K/Dolby Atmos release. It was one of my first LP soundtrack albums 60 years ago and got plenty of play on my old bedroom record changer. The far more complete double disc CD release is simply essential to any soundtrack collector.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Is there anything about a Cinerama 3 panel film that would go against releasing a 4K version of the smilebox version? In other words, would 4K resolution show flaws not apparent in 2K ?

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Is there anything about a Cinerama 3 panel film that would go against releasing a 4K version of the smilebox version? In other words, would 4K resolution show flaws not apparent in 2K ?
I suspect the joins between the elements would be more apparent

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks