What's new

How much would this paradigm setup cost me? (1 Viewer)

Mike Wladyka

Supporting Actor
Hi Guys,

It is my first day being a member, however i have browsed the forum for a few weeks now...

I am thinking of going with

Monitor 9's
CC370
4 Mini monitor's

Receiver will probably be HK 525

I think that i will add a sub a little bit later, once the first speaker purchase is paid off...most likely going with an SVS

Does anyone have current pricing information on these speakers? i am most likely going to go to canada to get these...

And, how long does it take to "break in" speakers?

DerrikW

Stunt Coordinator
The cc-370 goes for about 300-350, a pair of mini monitors go for about the same as the cc-370. I paid 600 bucks for my monitor 7's, with this setup I think you would be better off getting the 7's instead of the 9's. That way you will have the same drivers all the way around. I think a few other members here will agree with me on that. If you mixed this setup with, say... an svs 25-31pci, I think you will be very pleased. My $.02
Oh yeah I forgot to add that if you do go to canada you get all of these quite a bit cheaper.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
I'd step up to studios instead of monitor 9s, though. Have you heard them? You might prefer the improvement in sound, although if you're gonna go without a sub, then i dunno, it's a hard choice. Take a listen anyway, if you haven't yet.

Mike Wladyka

Supporting Actor
Hey Guys Thanks for the info,

I have heard the monitors, I was thinking about getting the 7's or 9's, i was leaning towards the 9's just because i don't know when it would get a sub to help the 7's...but i am leaning back towards the 7's with a sub after reading some earlier posts plus your guys' posts...

As for the studios I have heard them also, but not the ones i wanted to...it seemed that the dealer i went to did not want comparsion done between the two series'...i say this because he had the studio 100's and 20's (no 40's) setup and only monitor 7's and 9's...i thought that the 7's and 9's sounded better than the 20's (fuller sound) but that isn't a fair comparsion...and the 100's sounded better than the 7's or 9's

I still need to check to see if other dealers have the 40's setup...i don't see why not, they seemed to be pretty popular...

I will probably stick with the monitors, but i do want to hear the 40's...as for getting the studios i think the more expensive v3's will keep my from getting them and also that they are more power hungry than the monitors.

As for my other question to you guys...
How long does it take to "break in" speakers?

Mike

JamieS

Stunt Coordinator
Personally I think there is such thing as "break in". I feel my Monitor 7s DO sound different than they did fresh out of the box.

How long hard to say. I just turn on the radio or digial cable/sat music and leave them run while at work or away for the weekend.

I would suggest tkaing the 7s over the 9s. All you are getting with the 9s is a little more bass. No point in paying for that if you are going to get a sub.

Also is there a reason why you want 4 mini Monitors NOW?

Think about this you could have Monitor 7, CC370, 2 Mini Monitiors and a SUB for the Price of 9s CC370 and 4 Minis. You will have a great 5.1 system rather than an incomplete 7.1 system. The SUB is WAY more important (especially for movies) than the 2 rear speakers. Only about 10 DVDs have real 6/7 speaker sound. EVERY DVD (well every Dolby or DTS) has a SUB channel output.

Don't get sucked in by the 7.1 hype. I think everyone will agree that a 5.1 with sub is way better than 7 speaker without. You can always add the 2 rears at a latter date.

Mike Wladyka

Supporting Actor
Thanks Jaime,

Here is my rational...

The reason for getting 4 mini's is because i would like to hopefully only make 1 trip to canada and get all my speakers (except sub) and not have to worry about going back or paying for them at a local dealer...also i figured that if i went got all of the forementioned speakers at one time that i could probably get the 2nd pair of mini's at a lower cost...i will show you the math, based on forementioned pricing...and i am most likely going with the 7's instead of 9's...

Monitor 7's (pair) = $650 US
CC 370 = $350 US
Mini's (pair) = $350 US
Total US $$ = 1350
$$* 0.7(exchange rate) * .8 (20% dealer discount) = $756 US

Price with 4 mini's assuming a little extra discount from dealer for extra two speakers

$1350 + $350 (extra mini's) = $1700 US
$$ * 0.7 (ER) * .78 (extra 2% discount) = $928.2 US

so for the extra mini's bought at same time as other speakers it is only $172.2 US extra...as opposed to $350 if i decide to add locally at a later time (probably would not make a special trip to canada just for mini's)

that is a savings of $177.8 US...that may not seem worth it to others, but it is to me

don't get me wrong you make a good point, but i am definitely going to add a sub...most likely a couple months after i get the paradigms...

oh yeah, sorry about the math problems but i am an engineer and i couldn't help myself :)

Additional Comments?

Mike

JamieS

Stunt Coordinator
I see your point. About why the 4 Minis at once.

Plus you can take that $ you save on 7s VS 9s and put it into the fund for your SUB (since you are in US SVS would probably be great value for $)

I have a very similar setup Montior 7, CC370 2 minis and a PW2200 with a Rotel RSX 1055. I think your setup with the extra Minis, and SVS and that HK 525 will ROCK.

Make sure you find good brackets for those Minis. They are HEAVY and I had to unt to find ones I felt comfortable with syupporting the weight.

I think your pricing calcualtions engineer or not may be slightly off. Now I may not have gotten as good a deal as you maybe can but

I paid 680 CAn for 7s, 380 CAn for Mins (720 for 4) and I think $370 Can for CC 370 That comes out at TODAYs exchange at (.072) to 1350 US.

US MSRP and Canadian MSRP do not directly translate. If they did MSRP for 7s would be 899 rather than the $799 my dealer lists them at. Just something to think about.

Mike Wladyka

Supporting Actor
Hey Jaime,

I am pretty sure that the pricing may not be accurate...seeing as i started this thread to find the pricing for the speakers, but i was just using the prices from the other posts (approximated, of course)...so the calculations would be off via the base prices...and calculations were only shown to rationalize the 4 mini's, not for entire accuracy (sorry, got to justify my engineering, LOL), but thanks for your pricing info, that helps alot...

how long ago did you purchase your paradigms?
the only thing that sucks about getting an SVS is that i have to pay sales tax since i live in ohio:frowning: , but i am sure it will be worth it...my fellow apartment dwellers should be pleased with my soon to be new purchases!

Mike

JamieS

Stunt Coordinator
I purchased them in Nova Scotia in February of this year. Now my numbers could be a little off becuse I traded my old Def Tec DR 7s, My PFR 12 and my old Denon AVR 2600 in at the same time as I bought the 7s, CC 370 and PW 2200.

have my setup wired with 12 GA home made cables. I did replace the stock gold jumpers on the 7s with speaker wire and THINK I heard improvement but even if it is just in my head it cost me nothing.

Spike the 7s if you can, get a couple door stop wedges for the CC370 if you put it on top of the TV. Let me know if you have trouble finding brackets for the Minis I can dig out the model of them for you if you like.

Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks