What's new

How Much Did You Spend on Your 5.1 Speaker Sysyem? (1 Viewer)

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
One of the nice things about a good sound system is that it can make the movie's score that much more enjoyable. After watching 'King Kong' with my brother, I brought up the subject of "Dead Alive", Peter Jackson's contribution to zombie splatter flicks.

To tell the truth, I was not that interested in the film, having seen it once in college-- I thought it a bit silly, really. But when I brought it home, and we watched it together, I found that the score tied the film together-- excess became ballet. The Karo syrup was choreographed...

So I'm sure that all of the guys here remember being dragged to chick flicks. And though you may have tried to remain stoic, unmoved by the sappiness, your efforts were resisted by the music sweling in he background, peeling away that cynicism and forcing tears into your eyes at the worst possible moments. They don't call them tearjerkers for nothing...

Anyway, perhaps your wife will find this effect to be endearing, or at least amusing.

hyghwayman

Agent
Real Name
Donnie

:star: Darla:star: ,

First welcome to the Home Theater Forums and thank you for responding to my question with your 1st post here. I'm sure your input will be very helpful:emoji_thumbsup: .

hyghwayman

P.S. here is a picture of my wimpy 40w Curtis speaker; :eek: I need to have 10 post before I'm able to post pictures so I had to attach them.

Tom BL

Agent
Front speakers: $500
Centre channel: $300
Surrounds: $300
Receiver: $300
Subwoofer: $450

Total: $1,850. Speakers and receiver all purchased at Boxing Day pricing (doorcrashers, etc.). Sub was used from a friend. Approximate "regular" pricing would have been $2,900.

My wife thinks it's all very silly, but she does admit the system sounds great, and whenever she has a girls' movie night, it's at our place.

Dingiswayo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
Fronts: $500
Center: $285
Rears: $150
Sub: $600 (plus or minus)
Receiver: $385

Total is $1920 (whoa, did I really spend that much?!). I searched high and low to buy the fronts and center used. One rear was a refurb and the other I just got a good price on. The sub was DIY (which is why it was plus or minus). The receiver was new and will be replaced the moment I can get a better one. If I had bought everything new it would have been $3220 (given the same price for sub and receiver). A $1k is pretty manageable, really.

I have no wife so it's all good. And when I do get one, I'll already have all this crap!!

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
By the time I get finished building my 7 speakers, I'll have about $800 in parts and at least 50 hours invested in them. With my subs, I'll have around $1,000 in parts (I built them from scratch with magnets from one company and cones, etc from another). $350 for the 2,400w sub amp. Another 50 or so hours in design and building. So about $2,000 and 100 hours total.

My wife knows I have a sub issue so I don't complain about her shoes/purses and I can have as many subs as I want. My current list:
18" TC Sounds/Fi Car Audio (4) - building from scrtach for future IB sub in the home theater.
15" Earthquake (4) - in need of refoams, left over from the car audio days
15" TC-3000 (2) - current subs in the theater room
12" Stryke AV12 (3) - extra subs
12" Blueprint 1201 (1) - extra sub
10" Blueprint 1001 (3) - extra subs
12" Ascendant Audio Atlas (2) - extra subs
10" MTX 5200 (3) - extra subs
10" Lambda Acoustics (2) - extra subs
12" Adire Audio VP12 (1) - extra subs
12" TC Sounds OEM (2) - extra subs
12" SVS Ultra driver (1) - extra sub
10" Cerwin Vega VMAX (2) - extra subs
12" TC9/Eclipse/Robot Underground (1) - in the process of building this one from scratch
15" TC3HP/TC-2000/Robot Underground (2) - in the process of building these from scratch
assorted sub motors (7) - still need parts to finish building the subs
12" Stryke passive radiators (4)
NHT 500w amp (3)
Dayton 275w amp (3)
Cerwin Vega 120w amp (2)
MCM Electronics 200w amp (4)

-Robert

DelRay

Stunt Coordinator
You know Don. If you continue with this hobby, You will want to upgrade. Some are content with what they have. Others "including myself" not so much. Your wife says that you've lost you mind. My wife said that the first time I paid over $1000 for a pair of speakers. But $30,000 later, she's ready to have me commited.:laugh:

hyghwayman

Agent
Real Name
Donnie
[/u][/b]
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif
I think my wife would have me killed by 10k.

hyghwayman

Ricky c

Stunt Coordinator
A mix of new(slightly)and used my speakers were approx 2,300. would of been about 4,500. new.Add the sub an add'l 800.approx.

hyghwayman

Agent
Real Name
Donnie

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
Being an avid audio/videophile, these are issues I got out of the way with women I dated. If they gave me grief over my hobby, adios baby!

Fortunately, my wife is very supportive as she benefits as well.

Just in speakers (7.1)... about $6500.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
I don't think there's a entry fee, so much as a personal threshold.

On my computer, I have a pair of good headphones and a crappy audio set of speakers. The speakers are for games, and whatnot, the headphones are for music.

My living room setup is designed so I don't have to make a choice between speakers that showcase the slings and arrows behind me, and speakers/headphones that sound good with music. I'm not completely satisfied, but it's not as if I think that I'm living with a perpetual compromise.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
$2250, not including my sub, but my sub is DIY and didn't cost that much :) My system performs well for music, movies and gaming - no complaints on any front.

I agree, there is no entry fee, but me personally, I wouldn't go LESS than about $1k for a complete 5.1 system. A package like the SVS offers a lot of value for that price.

Dingiswayo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt

Robert, what do you do with 20 'extra subs?' I'm guessing that it's hard to part with something that you made from complete scratch.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Some are not being made or are so expensive that I can't afford them anymore. To get a similar driver to the Stryke AV12, I'd need to get an Audiopulse Epic for $299. Even though Lambda Acoustic subs are available from AE Speakers, I picked my pair for around $100. They are now built on a per order basis. Not cheap. The SVS ultra was $150 shipped. SVS wants $575 for it and you have to already own an Ultra sub from them.

A couple will be going into my living room system. A couple will go into my office. I'll be building subs for friends and family. Maybe sell some locally. But there's no substitute for experience when comparing software simulations to actual builds and how they sound. Underhung voice coils vs. overhung. Copper sleaved pole pieces vs. XBL^2 top plates. It's my hobby and it keeps me at home. My wife doesn't have to find me out hunting or on a golf course. I'm at home building things.

-Robert

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
I've got about $4k into my speakers and $10k into my whole HT system. For between $1 - 1.5k you can get yourself into a very nice speaker package that will do great for both music and movies. Some other excellent ID companies besides SVS are Ascend, AV123, Aperion, and Axiom. I don't know about all of them but I do know AV123 will allow you to demo their speakers in your home for 30-days with free return freight if you decide to return them. That offer may only apply to their smaller monitors which just happen to be in your price range.

Bry_DD

Second Unit
i have 7.1 set up ran by my aging Denon 3801.

Axiom M60 and VP150 $1400
side & rear B&W LM1 $ 700
SVS + amp $ 600

total $2700

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks