What's new

How Much Did You Spend on Your 5.1 Speaker Sysyem? (1 Viewer)

hyghwayman

Agent
Real Name
Donnie
I took my wife out to dinner last night, QT well spent I must say. Today we went to several stores auditioning speakers and receivers. She's now willing to let me get the speakers of my choice, although in trade it's going to cost me another $900.oo for a new reclining Sofa that she said we need!

Besides the $900.oo I'm spending on a new reclining Sofa, I also got talked into buying/upgrading my wifes OE car sound system today. Her 95 Olds. Cutlass Supreme receiver didn't have a CD player, so I bought her a JVC KDHD-1 CD player w/ a built in HD Tuner for another $200.oo (the HD audio sounds so good compaired to analog). While waiting for the install, she got a new Leather coat for $150.oo and a new pair of shoes for $55.oo to boot. So for me to get the speakers I want it's costing me another $1,305.oo plus the 1k. Life is Great
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif
!

hyghwayman

John Burton

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
I got ascend speakers for about $1100, $400 for the sub woofer, and an Onkyo 705... and it sounds great. Your budget should always include something for the lady... never budget with out that in mind

By the way, my wife noticed the difference and she likes it. It took six months, but she finally admitted it one day in passing. My response, "Good honey, glad you like it!"

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I think SVS subs do! :D

My wife and I were rearranging the furniture in our living room today (where my very modest HT resides). At one point she pointed to my sub (a SONY SAWM40 which I picked up used from a fellow HTF-er) and said "does this thing NEED to be this big?!

I then tried to explain the size of some SVS subs to her.

I think I'll need to show her this picture of an SVS 25-31PCi I lifted from someone's thread over at AVS:

Or this one of an SVS PB12 Plus 2:

Good luck, Don! :D

DelRay

Stunt Coordinator
It's a give and take. I got new speakers and my wife got a new kitchen. For me it's a win win.
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

hyghwayman

Agent
Real Name
Donnie
:eek: that last one is huge!
So I built a scale model on the PB10-NSD which is 15" wide x 19" high x 21" deep. I don't think I'm going to have anywhere to put that thing but in the middle and use it as a coffee or end table:D .

hyghwayman

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Glad to hear it. Hope your fellow HTF members were helpfull in your quest for sonic improvement. Anyway, one down, one to go (we gotta help DaveF get rid of those 10 year old KLH's!).

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Don: My Sony sub is roughly 15 by 17 by 17 (not too far off sizewise from the PB10-NSD). But probably miles away from it performance-wise. I'm envious.

Anyway, I've got the Sony nestled away underneath an end table at the end of a couch. That's why my wife doesn't think about it too much (except when we are rearranging furniture!). :D

VicB

Agent
Real Name
Victor Bullara
About $1,400 invested including an Onkyo Surround Sound and Bose speakers more than 20 years ago and still kicks ass.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Tell me about it. I never expected that grad school purchase to last so long. :)Honestly, the good thing about speakers is that I don't notice weaknesses except in comparison. And since I've not had any direct comparisons in years, it's not a big deal.

"Alas" (in quotes), bedroom furniture, window blinds, and a deck will creep above speakers on the priority list... Now, I like hyghwayman's idea of using a big sub for a coffee table. I'm still trying to find a way to replace my wife's coffee table. ;)

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Subwoofer size is in the eye of the beholder. I think that the TC Sounds "Beast" is getting a little on the large size.

And here it is during construction.

And I won't even post some of the DIY enclosures where a full grown man can crawl in and stand up they are so big.

-Robert

Rogozhin

Stunt Coordinator
Opus1 mains=$2000
Opus1 Tri-center=$600
SVS ISD/nsd v=$550
sound-dynamics rears/rearcenter=$250

This is a 6.1 system.

$1000 is not alot of money to spend on decent speakers.

Goodluck! :D

Rogo

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
18" diameter, 80 pounds each with Linear Motor System. Similar to these but tweaked for home theater. Unfortunately, the Beast never made it to retail. I think the 435 pound ED A7 - 900 subwoofer is the largest sub available without going into the ultra expensive subs from Krell, Wilson, etc.

-Robert

Real Name
Timothy
H/K 445 $800
JBL Voice Center $160
JBL Stadium Fronts $450
JBL Monitor Surrounds $300
JBL Sub 10 $200
Total $1910

This is for my full 7.1 system. I purchased 2 sets of surrounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks