What's new

How Much Can My SVS Take? (1 Viewer)

dustinSkater

Agent
I just bought a new home theater system. I have PSB Image series T55, C60, S50. And the Onkyo TX-SR703 receiver. And my subwoofer is an SVS 20-39PC+. The towers are broken and we are waiting for UPS to look at them for a claim. So right now I have the center hooked up and the S50's hooked up as the fronts. I just did that a couple of days ago because I wanted to test my subwoofer. I've been playing bass heavy songs. One is Michael Jackson "The Way You Make Me Feel". The other is "Cotton Eyed Joe", the remix with more bass. So what I did is turn it up real loud, I wouldn't normally listen to anything this loud. Just my friend and I are home right now so my parents arn't. But when I played Cotton Eyed Joe I could tell that it was starting to blur my vision when I look at the dvd player and receiver. Then I looked at the subwoofer and the whole thing was shaking. My room is very small, some where around 11' x 15' with 7.5' ceiling. I just want to know if that's normal because it was so loud and how loud until something bad actually happens.

Blaine_M

Second Unit
Did you callibrate you sub using a disc like Avia and a sound meter? If you do that, and do it the right way, you'll be fine.

Blaine_M

Second Unit
Your message above says you have the S50's or whatever they are hooked up as fronts. Anyway, it's hard to give you an answer really, if you follow what your SVS manual says on where to set your sub's amp level initially and your receiver's sub output level, then you should be ok. The SVS manual usually gives you a starting point. They can handle a lot.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
They can take until they bottom out. You will hear a clack. That is bad. If you're not at that point, you should be ok.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks