What's new

How long is too long? (1 Viewer)

Mike_Sidden

Auditioning
I'm building an entertainment system for my "soon to own" Sony 57WV700 and I want to move my sub to the other side of the room. Going behind, up, over, and down will most likely be a good 50ft. Can anyone tell me if this will work and if so, what kind of wire to use? I was thinking RG6 Coax with RCA ends. So, how long can a sub cable be before it starts to lose it's signal or sound like a rock in a coffee can?

Thanks

Mike S. :confused:

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
One time I tried out a 30 foot long subwoofer cable and compared it to a short 6ft one.

A difference was the phase so you may need to adjust it so the sub doesn't cancel out with the mains.

I really don't know how the quality of the bass will sound though.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I have such a scenario in my current room. The second sub's location is at the back of the room using a 50' length of RG6 with F-RCA ends and it works great. For long runs I recommend it rather than breaking the bank with a long custom store bought cable.

Mike_Sidden

Auditioning
Hey Guys,

Thanks Neil and Chris. That answers my question. I'll set it up and maybe post my results here later.

Mike S. :):emoji_thumbsup:

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
For a friend, I used wall plates from Radio Shack with an adapter. On the front was your standard RCA connection but on the back was a barrel connector. Hiding the coax cable behind plates made his wife really happy.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks