What's new

How do YOU say Nevada????? (1 Viewer)

James L White

Supporting Actor
Ne'VAH'duh or Nev'ADD'uh

it's the former for me.

just curious, I don't live there, never even there in fact but I've heard it said both ways

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter

When I say both of those out loud the syllables blend together and they sound exactly the same. I'm not sure what you mean.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I used to say "nev-ah-da". Then I had a roommate who was from there and have said "nev-ad-a" ever since.

My other roomate was from Oregon, which is evidently pronounced "or-ih-gun", with the second syllable almost silent. I picked this up quickly, but it took them forever to get "Worcester" right.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
For those that don't get it, people that are from Nevada pronounce it "Neh-VADD-uh," (rhymes with "add") but many people from other states pronounce it (incorrectly?) as "Neh-vaaad-uh."

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
People that live in New York City pronounce York as "Yawk" but people that live elsewhere incorrectly pronounce it with an "r".

Jacinto

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacinto
I guess it comes down to the more trustworthy party, the locals or the people who named it. Given that it's a Spanish word meaning "snow-covered", the pronunciation should be "Ne-VAH-dah", just as Colorado should be pronounced "Coh-loh-RAH-doh", and not "Collar-ADD-oh". But by that rationale, Florida should be "Floh-REE-dah".

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
Arvada:
It's Ar-VAY-duh, Col-o-RAH-do.

Monticello:
MontiCHello is a house.
MontiSELLo is a town in NY.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Tejas, that's a great source for a pronunciation guide! Elgin, Illinois has a soft G, Elgin, Texas was named after it, but has a hard G.
Edinburgh, Scotland is "Ed-in-burrow"...but the namesake in Texas is "Ed-in-burg."
Kosciusko County in Indiana is "Cahz-E-osco"...in Texas the town is "Cah-SHOE-sko".
I live in Guadalupe County, which has 3 different ways to say it depending on whether you're referring to our river, the local Catholic church or the county.
I've lived all over this country but have never had to deal with such a mess as bringing English, Spanish, German, Polish and Texan together.
Then again, we got some great music out of it. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks